Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
Hi, all,

I need someone to Beta read the scenes of my fanfic where a character from the UK speaks and thinks. Any volunteers?

Elisabeth

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
If you're still looking for someone to help, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Can't resist adding this<g> But... is there a difference between how a Scot or an Englishman or an Irishman "thinks"? ( I know there is when it comes to speech <g>)

c. (asking innocently of course <g>)

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I can't answer that laugh , but I am worried that you may have brought down the wrath of the Welsh upon your head by not including them in your question! laugh

E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
Thanks so much. I'll PM you to make arrangements.

Actually, I wasn't sure what nationality the original character was in the series. I intentionally didn't watch the episode because I wanted to go from my memories and imagination. So I remember the character had an accent, but I don't remember from where. She could be Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Brittish, Australian... Heck, she could be from Boston, for all I know. I've decided she's a Brit.

Elisabeth

Top Banana
Top Banana
The Welsh! How could I not mention them! - *the* most courageous and creative and beautiful and enterprising and honourable and good-looking and snappy dressers of all the inhabitants of the British Isles. And the best singers.

c.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I was about to ask which part of the UK. Just as with the US, there are dozens of regional variations in speech, so it would all depend where your character hails from really. A character from London won't speak in the same way as a character from Devon or Manchester.

Likewise, Scots, Welsh and Irish characters will have many variations depending on where they hail from in their countries.

So if you're really looking for accuracy, Elisabeth, you need to decide which it is. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
Sorry I missed your comment, Labby.

I was working on an episode adaptation, but I didn't want to WATCH the episode again since I really wanted to make the story my own. I remembered that a character had an accent, but for the life of me I couldn't place it. She could be from Australia, London, Wales or even Boston for all I know. laugh I decided she would be British, just so I could write her consistantly. As to where she's from, obviously that would be from wherever my beta reader is from since it's obvious she's not from my neck of the woods. wink The city isn't really that important, it's just one of those details of characterization that I want to be consistent on.

Elisabeth

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Just so you don't start spelling like one. I'm so tired of people telling me I "spell wrong." No, I don't. Read a dictionary, people. I spell like I was trained to spell. razz

Sorry, couldn't help the rant. It happened again today, so it's driving me.

**~~**

Swoosh --->

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard