Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hey all, I posted in the off topic folder but Lab rat suggested I post here as well. Every year a group of fans that appreciate Dean for all different reasons, sponsor a charity for his birthday. This year we are doing Mending Kids International. You can find info about it here: mendingkids.org

Anyway, Dean was happy that we were doing this to honor him because it is a very good cause. The group, we call ourselves Friends Across Continents Together or Friends ACT, have a yahoo groups site here:http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Friends_Who_Act/

It is new this year. Last year we had about 25 people participate and raised 2000 dollars for the USO and Make a Wish Foundation. We are still in our baby stages but we are hoping to expand and do some good with the friendships we have made on line. What the heck, we may as well raise money for a worthy cause while we are here having fun. So we were thinking about doing a fic fundraiser like you guys did a couple of years ago on these boards. Maybe with the help of some authors we can get donations for a CD of fics and maybe Art work to help the children in need.

If there is anyone willing to donate a fic for a charity CD or even donate to the charity, let me know. It is running from now until the middle of July to be ready for Dean's birthday at the end of July. We present him with the amount in a certificate and a card goes out with the donors names to him. There is more about it at this Yahoo site and on Zooms boards for anyone who might be interesed in helping a group of fans raise money for a worthy cause. You don't have to be a Dean fan to do it. You just have to be willing to either donate a story or cash to a worthy cause by January.

I'd appreciate any help and suggestions with this goal. Thanks. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Wow how sad, not one person is willing to donate a story for a yearly fund raiser for Children in need?
How can that be? Any other suggestions to help? Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
End of July? I can't promise anything, but I could prolly take a stab at writing a fic to donate. smile I'll let you know how it goes. ^_^

~•~
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Laura, see my post in your other thread in Off Topic.

Tank (who is trying to think up something that might work)

Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks Tank! Great suggestions. Any ideas for what would be good guide lines? You guys would know better then me. thanks again, Laura

Caroline's "Stardust"
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Actually, Laura, I didn't even see the thread. I can't volunteer to write a story because right now I'm experiencing a serious dry spell. I have about five fics in the beginning stages and not one of them is cooperating.

However, I'll try to come up with something. That's the only promise I can make.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Nan that would be awesome if you do thanks! Laura

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Laurach:
Wow how sad, not one person is willing to donate a story for a yearly fund raiser for Children in need?
How can that be? Any other suggestions to help? Laura
I don't think that no one is willing to donate, but that the boards are sooooo dead that you could fire a shotgun at it and not do any real damage! huh

I will try, that is all I can promise. I was thinking artwork, like avatars and wallpapers or maybe, (gasp!) an actual story...

Mid-July, right?

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
N
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
N
James said: the boards are sooooo dead that you could fire a shotgun at it and not do any real damage!

Word!

Where did everyone go? huh

"There are lots of people who can be clever with words, which is different from being right with them." Anne Enright
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
James that would be wonderful and thank you! Laura

Caroline's "Stardust"
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Just keeping this at the top

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Laurach

I sent you a private message a couple of days ago. Did you get it?

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Where did everyone go?
The boards generally do get quiet January/February. It's the run-up to the Kerths and a lot of FoLCs' minds are on reading the eligible stories and planning their votes.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I didn't get it James :-(

my e mail is LCME239@optonline.net

Caroline's "Stardust"
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hey James I got your artwork and it is very nice, I am sure the folcs will love it. Laura

Oh PS I got one story so far too and we raised 100 dollars so far. Laura

Caroline's "Stardust"
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Is this going to be like the last fundraiser, where the authors are allowed to publically release the contents 1-1/2 years later?

Elisabeth

Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Sure what ever you guys want to do. You can release it as soon as you think is appropriate. The author's can decide that. Can be sooner if you'd like. The idea is to raise money for a good cause. Laura

Caroline's "Stardust"
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Just my opinion, but I think it is best if you decided upon a release date. By allowing the contents to be released, you allow the authors/artists to have their work eligible for Kerths/alt-Kerths. By setting the date pretty far down the road you add value to those who donate money and are awarded the DVD--they get the added value of a sneak-peak.

Elisabeth

Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Ok anyone want to give me an idea of how long a good amount of time would be. I am open to suggestions? 6 months? A year?

Caroline's "Stardust"
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Hmmmm.... the boards fundraiser isn't an annual event and I'm not sure how long they had on it - I think Elisabeth mentioned it earlier or someone out there knows. Dean, however, like most of us [unfortunately :p ] has a birthday every year. If you were planning on making it an annual fundraiser [which I think is what I read] then maybe... April? or something of the next year in time and it could be used as part of the next year's drive as well [See - this is what was on last year's CD/DVD so donate now and get this year's CD/DVD type of thing]. My other thought would be a year [this is the stuff from last year's birthday charity fundraiser to celebrate another year of successful money raising for charity type thing] - maybe July 1, 2009 or something.

Those are my thoughts. If you're not anticipating an annual event, that would probably change my answer to a year. I'm sure someone else out there has some thoughts too smile .
Carol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard