Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So this way, both Lois and Clark were committed and devoted to each other only throughout their lives... when suddenly Lex comes into play [Grumble] [Grumble] [Grumble] (why the hell do I think of A-Plots when I don't like them myself?) and then *Superman* is needed, so Lois sort of comes up with this brilliant idea for her *husband* to help people... and then Lex sort of gets attracted to Lois (hell, CG! Why the hell did you think of this?) and tries his best to capture her heart? Lois believes him at first but then she believes Superman more, doesn't she?
To be honest, I don't see Lex having any chance no matter how subversive he would work if LnC were happily married for ten years, had a kid and invented Superman together. If he were to make any approach, Lois could either not notice, just Clark. In that case, it would be a question of trust. Whom does she trust more, Clark not just being a jealous jerk or the rich philanthropist offering her help in what regard again? Or if she noticed any advances after the first no thanks, she would immediately place Luthor into the bad guy drawer, to be put under the Lane microscope.

So what would be the conflict scenario prior to Lex?
Originally posted by Darth_Michael:
*) But what if Lois really were to be galactically stupid and not blinded by love? She doesn't know. And she doesn't recognize him for two years. But he still comes up with lame excuses. And since her body would still know her husband, she would be drawn to Superman, perhaps being torn apart by guilt and lust and anger at Clark for lame excuses. Which would allow for his lame excuses to go somewhat unchallenged. Well, as much as they did in on the Show. It would also explain why Luthor thinks he can push his way in.
*Looks around* So, the Lois not knowing idea is completely outside the box for this?

Any other ideas, except them not happily married despite their soul-mate bond for monetary and job-stress reasons? Because these reasons don't seem like LnC too me.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Okay, it sounds like it's time to work on the backstory. laugh

If we go with Lois+Clark+Kid x 10yrs, there are two possibilities:

1. Lois and Clark met early, fell in love, and, being impulsive youths, decided to get married.

2. Lois and Clark met early, fell in love, and, being impulsive youths...eventually *had* to get married. wink

There are pros and cons to either scenario. I think the best approach would be to leave it deliberately ambiguous.

...Should I start the next poll, or wait longer? (School starts on Monday, darn it, and I want some fic. grumble )

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
2. 2. 2. makes for much nficier flashbacks. And also gives Clark an excuse why he hasn't told her. They had to get married.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
2. 2. 2. makes for much nficier flashbacks. And also gives Clark an excuse why he hasn't told her. They had to get married.

Michael
Think whatever you like, but I gave my word that the official cannon would keep it ambiguous. It's just not worth riling people over, and besides, ambiguity can give its own contributions to the story. (Think "It's Pat" from SNL, or any show that teases about whether so-and-so and so-and-so are a couple wink ) To paraphrase Detective Holmes, 'sometimes the absence of a detail is, in itself, a plotpoint. laugh

Besides, this is daytime broadcasting. We can't show Nfic until after the watershed. goofy

Btw: Poll

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
*shrugs*
Well you asked with just two options. But then you right. Ambiguity can be nice. And we all can do the math laugh regarding the official time line. evil

BTW: Some of S5/6's episodes can be found over at Anne's Place too. Just saying.

Michael

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm not against the kid, but I'm definately against option two.

Who says that sex within marriage is less spicy than before? (They've actually done studies on this and shown that it is no contest. Married people have better sex lives--hands down.)

Write whatever you want to write, but if you're taking a poll I'm opposed to the second choice.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Have to agree with my love. The kid is okay, but not if it is conceived before marriage. At that point I step out of this entire venture.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I'm with Elisabeth [edit: and James] here and have heard the same stats and have anecdotal evidence of the same from friends. While I have my own personal beliefs on the issue, I'm not *necessarily* opposed to fic where they *Wells imitation* prior to marriage - it depends on a myriad of other factors as well - my preference is always waiting for marriage and I don't write otherwise.

For that matter wouldn't Nan's "Second Choice" be an example of what the back story COULD be - those who have read it should recognize the difference there and I won't spoil it for those who haven't [but if you haven't - get thee to the archive!!!] - I would find that premise more interesting than the other and I still have faith in Nan's sequel queenness wink .

I could live with ambiguous as a reader/'watcher' as its unlikely I'll be able to write anyway.
Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by carolm:
For that matter wouldn't Nan's "Second Choice" be an example of what the back story COULD be - those who have read it should recognize the difference there and I won't spoil it for those who haven't [but if you haven't - get thee to the archive!!!] - I would find that premise more interesting than the other and I still have faith in Nan's sequel queenness wink .
I just posted the same suggestion on the back story thread. Coincidence or a trend laugh But I would go as far as to grovel for Second Choice to be the back story.

A/The Second Choice for/of Lois and Clark - The rewritten Adventures of Superman

Just thinking. Michael

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
But I would go as far as to grovel for Second Choice to be the back story.

PERSONALLY - I'd like to see where Nan takes it - if she chooses - because she always comes up with awesome stuff - but that's not to say that the premise couldn't be similar in some ways.
Carol

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer

Where we are so far (As of this writing):

There seems to be good support for the premise as-is. The numbers are strong.

FoLCs who voted in favor of a kid voted 11-5 that it should be a boy.

There is some division over how the kid gets his name. Favored option is an original name, with being named after his dad in second place, and a family member's name in third.

As of this writing, most FoLCs who voted feel that the couple either lived in Kansas or moved around a lot. Discuss .

Also, there is a near-even split over whether the kid knows. Discuss .

As to how long they've been working at the DP, early results favor that either both are new, or Clark is new and Lois isn't. Either way, it looks like Clark is a greenhorn.

Most FoLCs seem to prefer that Clark becomes Superman during the pilot, as on the original show. I'm inclined to agree, but feel free to discuss .

Oh, and we still need someone to keep track of the polls, make sense of the data, and maybe think of some new ones. The job doesn't pay, but you get a button. Invisible button. That you make yourself.

ETA: First post on a new page! Cool! Serendipitous. cool

~•~
C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
Originally posted in : Rewriting LnC: Back Story thread

As of this writing, most FoLCs who voted feel that the couple either lived in Kansas or moved around a lot.
I vote for living in Kansas until the kid's seven or something and then Lois moving to Daily Planet or somewhere else for some experience...

Somehow I can't think of Lois as a newbie... I sort of like the idea that Clark learns the reporting tricks from an experienced (in journalism) Lois and Lois learn to soften her writing style from Clark.

Also, there is a near-even split over whether the kid knows.
My opinion is that the kid should not know... that way we could fit the kid knowing about himself in the Foundling episode or something where Clark and kiddo finds about their Kryptonian origin. And the next few episodes can deal with the subtle B-Plot of the kid learning to get used/use the powers.

Most FoLCs seem to prefer that Clark becomes Superman during the pilot, as on the original show.
Yes, otherwise we won't be able to concentrate on the public's opinion on Superman, that is the public will already be used to Superman's existence, which is sort of dampening on their initial enthusiasm IMO. Now, a first Superman appearance that would be useful in projecting the show in the right limelight.

I also vote that Lois sort of says "Bring a change of clothes to work" as she says in the show. Only she knows that she's meant for her hubby to change his dirty clothes.

But Clark thinks over and Martha makes the suit, as usual... (within a day) and Superman makes an appearance and Lois is still awestruck, because she hasn't ever seen her husband like this! laugh

Then we could take it this way... Clark sort of becoming uncertain whether Lois loves his Superman part more than his Clark part... ie the superpowers and she could reassure him...

P.S. Is it to be an NFic Series? devil

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I just had an idea I thought I'd throw out there. If you want to use it, feel free. If Lois and Clark are married when Superman shows up, you might want to have some of the tension in those early years be from people thinking that Lois is 'Superman's girlfriend.' And, hence, doubt the stability of Lois and Clark's marriage. It might also be why Luthor thinks he has a chance with Lois - whereas, I suspect she's just after the interview.

On the other hand, if Lois is after the Luthor interview, I could see Clark getting jealous - which, of course, could make things worse to the outside observer since they would think that the jealousy - and any resulting strain on their marriage - was about Superman.

Just a thought.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
MLT has some good thoughts that I like.

I am just catching up on this but I see that many are in favor of the child being conceived in a marriage and others saying why else would they get married so young.

Having grown up in a culture where sex does not take place outside of marriage (ideally), people marry way too young because, IMO, they confuse sexual attraction with real love. They feel compelled to marry ASAP to explore those feelings "legally". This doesn't mean that the relationship, if both are committed to it, cannot be a loving, lasting marriage, but people change SO much between 18-25. I can see Clark and Lois if raised in a small community feeling the need to marry, but college exposes them to new ideas and they change so much as to cause some strain on their marriage. Superman would futher stress the relationship.

I don't know, that's just my solution. Getting pregnant unexpectedly (first time or soon thereafter) and trying to build a new marriage, manage a house (though I'm sure Clark would be very helpful) all the shile trying to go to college could build up some resentment on Lois' part.

I'm looking forward to the re-write and seeing how despite all odds our favorite couple will end up staying together and loving each other.

thanks!

rkn
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
ML, I love it!

Rkn, good point.

I can somewhat see Lois as using Clark to run away from home (regardless of whether the kid came first or second). Figure, she has an abysmal home life, and now here's this nice guy from a small town who's wrapped around her finger... wink

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
I can somewhat see Lois as using Clark to run away from home [snip]. Figure, she has an abysmal home life, and now here's this nice guy from a small town who's wrapped around her finger... wink
See, I could go for that explaination in a heartbeat...

James

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
So do we have enough backstory to start working on season 1 yet? dizzy

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think we have enough. What about the rest of yous?

James

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah. Can't wait to see this play itself out.

Michael

C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
Yeah! Let the games begin! laugh

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard