Print Thread
#157780 12/13/07 06:43 AM
Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
I am beginning to put together ideas for my fiacthon piece but need these 2 questions answered first; if possible! smile

First, I know Superman can do anything, but more realistically do any of you think he could generate electricity somehow for a brief time? I want him to be able to power one of those ancient wireless radios..but this one will somehow also have a tape deck to it.

Second, and I warn you folcs this is odd, lol, In the movie Mary Poppins, when Bert and Mary being offerred free food by the penguins..do they actually eat anything and if so, what? It's been a long time since I have seen this movie.

Thanks,
Mona

#157781 12/13/07 09:10 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
He could create super static electricity and zap the machine into working. Not necessarily a sustainable form of energy, but something we're all familiar with. Unless he can maintain the friction somehow... Is this an nfic? wink
Just make him rub his boots back and forth on the carpet for a bit, and then...

[Linked Image]

Well, you get the gist. laugh

Am I being at all helpful or should I just go back to my corner? goofy

As far as the penguin food Q is concerned...

MP says, on perusing the menu, "We'll start with raspberry ice, and then some cakes and tea."

[Linked Image]

Don't know if they actually eat anything though... I suggest checking out youtube.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#157782 12/13/07 12:04 PM
Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
Wow, thanks gr9shades, very much. As soon as I read those words, MP came right back to me. smile I liked that movie, except when it kept going on and on at the end forever it seemed like on top of the roof.

As for the story, it could be or at least have an "n" part, I believe Lara, said the ficathon fics needed to be all g rated. Gave me an idea though. wink

Mona

#157783 12/13/07 01:06 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
MP: I remembered that they ordered something, but couldn't remember if they actually ate it.

Electricity: Static probably wouldn't help too much. You can only discharge it all at once. Too little, and you get nothing. Too much, and you could burn it out. Even if you get the right charge, you couldn't keep it up for any length of time.

Better option would be to build a crude generator using a couple of magnets, some wire, and a hand crank.

A quick google search brings up these plans , which are about as simple as they come. And there's a bit more info on this page .

Basically, though, you get two magnets, as strong as you can find (the stronger the magnet, the higher the voltage). Face them towards each other (north pole to south pole). You'll need something to hold them in place, since they will attract each other.

Rotate the wire within the magnetic field between the magnets (or rotate the magnets around the wire), and you'll generate a current by magnetic induction. It'll be an AC current, but that's what most appliances are designed to use.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#157784 12/13/07 01:15 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
MacGiver always added chewing gum.

c.

#157785 12/13/07 03:03 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I don't think that the penguins actually gave them food. they only came out to set the table before they (and Bert) started singing and dancing.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#157786 12/13/07 04:08 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by ccmalo:
MacGiver always added chewing gum.

c.
[highjack] The Mythbusters are doing a MacGyver ep sometime soon wink .[/highjack]

I'm with Paul - I remember them setting the table, but not actually eating.
Carol

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard