Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I wanted to use a word other than kissing, and snogging came to mind, but I don't know if it's used in the US.

I was home eating chocolate—cottage cheese.
Chocolate flavoured cottage cheese. It's a new flav—
I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
Kerth
Kerth
It's not commonly used in the US, but Lois did spend a year as a foreign exchange student in Ireland so she'd be familiar with the term. I guess it really depends on the context in which you're using it. huh

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Personally, I just can't see Lois using snogging. It would definitely be something that would pull me up short if I was reading a story and would seem out of character.

Unless the story was a very broad comedy, where some character warping was to be expected as part of the premise. Or snogging was used in a very specific context - if she was explaining a term she had encountered at some point and what it meant to someone else, for example. But it just doesn't fit her personal vocabulary for me, so I can't hear her using it as an everyday term in her normal speech.

But the mileage of others - as always - may vary on this one.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
I think that if she did happen to use it, it would be in babble mode, and definitely confuse anyone she was talking to. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Top Banana
Top Banana
In the show, Lois didn't use other "Irishisms" (i suspect there's no such word), so it would strike me as odd were she to use 'snogging'.

How about 'smooching'? Or the old fashioned 'necking'? - although that suggests a bit more than just a kiss.

Or if you want Lois to be over-the top, (which of course Lois never , ever is laugh ) - 'lip-locked, swapping saliva'. Perhaps even 'doing a tongue tango'. Depends on who's doing it, too, I think and how Lois feels about what is happening. Is she the one making the pass, or is she receiving the pass, or is she just in the stands watching?

c.

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Lois is the one making the pass, as you can see here:

I couldn’t take it anymore! I turned my head on his next dive and caught his mouth with my own. The next thing I knew, my fingers were running through his hair and I was making a fairly decent attempt at snogging him senseless. It was just too bad that if one of us were to run out of breath, it would be me.
I was thinking of changing it to pashing...

I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
Top Banana
Top Banana
"pashing"?

c.

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
No, you're right, pashing doesn't work either.

The next thing I knew, my fingers were running through his hair and our waring tongues were playing a fervent game of tonsil hockey.
Let's go with over the top laugh

It's just unfortunate that this is happening on the dance floor at a formal party.

I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't know pashing either.

According to wikitionary both snog and pashing are Australian terms...

How about,

...I was making a fairly decent attempt at ravishing his lips until he was senseless...

or

I was making a fairly decent attempt at making out with him until he was senseless
(of course that has other connotations as well, now)

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
dance floor at a formal party???

go with ravishing, but use mouth instead of lips and you will get your point across...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Top Banana
Top Banana
dance floor at a formal party???
lol - here I was thinking they were underwater and I was wondering about the logistics of the whole thing laugh

c.

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Ooh, thank you James! I think I will go with ravishing his mouth...

And the underwater imagery was there for a purpose. The ballroom had faded away and they were drowning in each other. I'm glad you caught onto that C. laugh

I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
Merriwether
Merriwether
There's also the possibility of something like "knocking him senseless with a liplock." You know, rearrange the pieces. That could indicate any surprise on his part that she's doing this.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard