Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157351 10/29/07 09:32 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay so I saw a "Future Weapons" (or similar type show) special on this on the discovery channel. They were talking about weapons that were being developed for the future that didn't harm people but would incapacitate them. Example:

They had a gun that would shoot a direct high pitch sound at a person that would overwhelm them and hurt their ears so they had to drop their weapons and hold their ears. (or well something like this anyway)

They also had one that shot a beam of bright light at people to momentarily blind them.

Does anyone have any idea what these types of weapons would be called? I keep calling them alternative weapons... lol but I know this can't be the correct term.

Any clues?

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#157352 10/29/07 10:05 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Nonlethal weapons?
Carol

#157353 10/29/07 10:40 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I googled and the US military, at least, do seem to designate these precisely as Carol suggests. I got back a host of websites, all talking about 'non-lethal weapons'. This one, for instance, is just one example:

Miltary Systems

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#157354 10/29/07 02:58 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks guys! thumbsup

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#157355 10/29/07 03:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually one of the most intriguing non-lethal weapons is essentially silly string, only you can't break it. The sound weapon is a low frequency weapon that basically prevents the target(i.e. person) from moving forward. Think of the boom busters in cars next to you at a stop light going "thrum thrum" and moving your heart beat and you get the idea.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#157356 10/29/07 08:40 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
actually there have been a lot of reports of helicopter pilots being blinded by lasers shone into the night sky by people on the ground...

some recent incidents in Australia have been rather dangerous (well, more dangerous than other incidents) because the helicopters in question were Rescue Helicopters on route to hospital Emergency departments

A news report from Sydney\'s: The Daily Telegraph

so, not so sci-fi after all

possibilities for terrorists and law enforcement alike

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#157357 11/06/07 03:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by beethoven:
actually there have been a lot of reports of helicopter pilots being blinded by lasers shone into the night sky by people on the ground...

Yes, but lasing a person though not lethal, can cause long term to permanent damage to the eye.

From Wiki
Laser safety

Also, the sonic cannon has been around for a little while. Sonic Cannon or LRAD
James.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard