Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Okay. If a governor stepped down, who would take over? Would it be whoever was the runner up in the race for governor, or would they hold another election?

Although this might sound stupid, I don't know enough about US politics... smile

Thanks!

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
In many states the position is called Lieutenant Governor, although it varies from state to state depending on the state constitution.

The question of whether a new election would be held also would depend on the state constitution, but I don't think an unscheduled election is common in most states; they would just have the LG (or whoever) take office until the next regularly scheduled election.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Governors are generally elected in November of even-numbered years and serve for four years, beginning the following January, although it varies by state.

New Troy, where Metropolis is located, is modeled after the State of New York. According to Wikipedia:

" The Lieutenant Governor of New York is the second highest ranking official in the government of New York. The lieutenant governor is elected on a ticket with the governor for a four year term. Official duties dictated to the lieutenant governor under the state constitution is to serve as President of the State Senate, serve as acting governor in the absence of the governor from the state or the disability of the governor, or to become governor in the event of the governor's death, impeachment or resignation."

In contrast, when the governor of New Jersey resigned in 2004, there was no position of Lieutenant Governor, and the President of the State Senate became governor until the new term began in 2007. If the governor had resigned a few months earlier in his term, a special election would have been held in November 2004. Apparently New Jersey then amended the state constitution to add the position of Lieutentant Governor beginning in 2009. Also, the new Governor who was elected in 2006 was injured in an auto accident recently and the President of the State Senate became Acting Governor until he recovered.

Hope that helps!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
New Troy, where Metropolis is located, is modeled after the State of New York.
Not to start an argument about a detail, but there's something you guys seem to get wrong a lot... Metropolis isn't in New Troy. It's the opposite. New Troy is a borough of Metropolis -- like Queens or Manhattan in New York.

I see lots of people getting that one wrong and I thought maybe this would be a good time to say something about it.

Not that it's a big deal, but it's a common error I've been seeing a lot these days.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, that's the comics version, if I remember correctly. In the show, New Troy was a state.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Top Banana
Top Banana
In the show, the state is definitely New Troy (there's a driver's license shown issued by New Troy- somewhere), but in the script for Metallo - Rollie Vale's address is: "Infinity2 Laboratories, 322 Gilmore St., New Troy, Metropolis."

New Troy is also a borough. - in the history of Metropolis, it started out with the island, the city and the state all with the same name - then the city changed its name to Metropolis.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Shoulda known they had it different on the show. Blah.

I should stop reading comics and think TV people stick to 'em, huh? After all, the SV guys put Metropolis in *Kansas*, didn't they. (helloooooo... duh?)

*goes back to her Batman fantasies* (I'm hoping I'm safe in Gotham since they barely mention it on the show -- right? *lol*)

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Top Banana
Top Banana
Shoulda known they had it different on the show. Blah.
Within L&C canon (from the show/scripts) - Metropolis is in the State of New Troy and also has a borough named New Troy. cool

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard