Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#155503 06/11/07 05:50 PM
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
So I've noticed something that's got me curious now... whenever someone posts a new addition to a story the feedback is started in a new thread, never as a continuation/reply to the story... I was just curious if it was just out of respect for the story or some other etiquette?

From Pheremone, My Lovely:

Clark: Lois! Please! Get a grip!
Lois: Believe me, I’d love to!
#155504 06/11/07 07:19 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's something we've discussed and voted on a few times over the years, though I suppose it's been a while.

One of the older issues was picking out story posts from the topic list. Not so big a deal with this "Fic Related" forum here, but scanning for topics with 0 replies used to be the main way that some FoLCs would find stories.

Another (more relevant) concern was that FDK posts would put story parts out of order. Late comments (always welcomed!) could bump part 17 to the top of the forum while Part 19 got left behind. It could get a little confusing.

Then there's the fact that some readers prefer the "cleaner" look of the current system. You open the post, and you get just the story, without any distractions.

Don't forget scroll length, either. When you open the thread, you get a good idea of just how long a read you're in for. If you only have a few minutes, you know to save the long post for later. If you're looking to settle in for a nice long chunk of story, you don't have to worry that you'll get 1/3 of the way down the page only to discover that the rest is all comments and discussion.

Oh, and there are some FoLCs who are (or were) in the habit of saving local copies to read offline. Copy the thread and stitch the story together. Much easier if you don't have comments in the way.

So... that's been the system. And it seems to work well. Now I suppose we're all just used to it.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#155505 06/12/07 12:59 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And added to all those reasons, there's the consideration that FoLCs using dial-up or slower systems often found that feedback comments added to the story post increased the length of the thread to the point where it considerably slowed down the upload speed. Separating them out means that it doesn't take so long to access the story part.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#155506 06/12/07 01:47 PM
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Ah, ok. Makes sense. Thanks for filling me in smile

From Pheremone, My Lovely:

Clark: Lois! Please! Get a grip!
Lois: Believe me, I’d love to!

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard