Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Xanabee Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hi everybody! thumbsup And lo and behold, my Muse also decided to wake up and these last few days I’ve been very focused and writing up a storm. I can’t promise it will last but I’ll do my best.

I’m working on the sequel to ‘There’s Always Something’ which is called ‘Dangerous Negligence’. Nifty title, huh? The story will have an A-plot beside the B-plot and I hope that FoLC who enjoyed reading ‘TAS’ will like this one too. smile

I have a few questions regarding adoption procedures in the States. Picture this: a couple wants to adopt a child and does this through a legit agency. How should the adoption be registered with the authorities to make the child legally theirs? Does the agency do that and provide the couple with the legal papers or should the adoptive parents themselves go to some office to register the child? Do I have to stick to US laws or could I make up my own procedures for Metropolis?

Thanks for helping out! And by the way, no, the adopting couple isn’t Lois and Clark. wink

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ursie, you're back! That's so great!

And you are working on a sequel to "There's Always Something", a story that I love. I'm so glad to hear it! And I didn't know any thing about your operations but I'm so glad that you are feeling much better now.

Welcome back!

Ann

P.S. Sorry I can't help you with the adoption questions. I hope someone else can provide the answers you need.

Columnist
Columnist
Speaking from experience (we've adopted two sons), if you go through an agency, I'm pretty sure the agency handles everything. You have to have your own lawyer of course, but otherwise everything else is done through the agency. And with an agency, there's tons of red tape. Your life is combed through with a very fine toothed comb. Financial records, home visits, psychological profiles, the list is endless!

We adopted both our boys privately. We knew both mothers. We simply hired our lawyer, he drew up the paperwork, everything was signed, and now we have two active little boys! laugh Well, actually there was more to it than that. No paperwork could be signed until the babies were born. Within hours of each child's birth, we had to employ the services of another lawyer to present the birth mother with reliquishment papers. Essentially it's her agreement to allow us to adopt. In SC, where we live, the mother has six months to change her mind! Talk about time standing still. Anyway, once she signs her intent, we hire another lawyer(makes three now) to represent the child, called the guardian ad litem. In the case of our first adopted child, we had to run a newspaper ad for three weeks looking for the birth father to step forward and reliquish his rights.(The girl was pretty sure who the father was, but not 100% certain.) Once the six month waiting period elasped, a court date was set. The birth parents do not have to be present. (Their agreement is all you need.) At the hearing, the guardian ad litem states that the adoption is in the best interest of the child. The judge asks if we know what we're doing, blah, blah. Then he grants the final decree. Names change, new birth certificates are issued, etc. etc. And now you have a new bundle of energy running around somewhere!

Wonderful experience! But with two biological children and two adopted children, we're done!

SQD (if you want to anything else, email me privately)

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Welcome home, Ursie! How wonderful to see you - and your Muse! - back on your feet and back where you belong. [Linked Image]

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Xanabee Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks, Ann and LabRat, for the warm 'welcome back' words. It's still a long way to total recovery, but I'm so grateful to be alive and up on my feet again.
dance

Robin, your help is much appreciated. Glad to hear your boys are thriving and probably driving you nuts sometimes! laugh My, those procedures you describe are pretty thorough, but make a lot of sense. I'll have to let it sink in and see what I can do with the info.

How many adoption agencies would a city the size of Metropolis have? I suspect they wouldn't voluntarily give information to reporters. So, if Lois and Clark would want a list of recent adoptions, is it possible to get such a list from an office at city hall maybe? Or is that too farfetched.

Thanks for helping out! smile

Ursie

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
My younger sister and I were adopted by my step-father when I was 14 and we had to go in front of a judge in a courthouse conference room. My mom's lawyer was there and the papers were filed at the courthouse then copies were sent from Florida (where we were living) to New Jersey (where we were born) and our birth certificates were changed.

If the goal is to find records, maybe they have a contact in the courthouse...a clerk or someone, who can look it up for them.

huh

Hope this helps...

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Xanabee Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
So the adoption is settled in court really?

That's a good tip, Anne, to look up records at the courthouse. Thanks!

I think I can work with these facts for a while. If I'm stuck I'll come back to pester you guys again. laugh

Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't know anything about adoptions, but...

Welcome Back, Ursie! hyper

I'm very happy you're working on TAS' sequel, you know how much I loved it!

Simona smile

Xanabee Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Oh yes, Simona, I do remember the glowing comments you sent me by email. I received it at a time when I was really, really very ill and needed a lot of cheering up. laugh

Your feedback and that of other FoLC, like Ann (TOC), who take the time to comment even years after a fic has been uploaded, is what made me decide to try writing again.

Yes, FoLC, feedback matters!! thumbsup

Ursie

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard