Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
rkn Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I am working on the sequel to Smallville Style and am needing some help/suggestions from someone who understands the corporate business world more than I do! What are some ways that Bill Church could be moving in on Lex's legitimate businesses? What about Intergang moving in on Lex's illegal businesses? In the L&C universe, Lex is dead, so his businesses crumble. In my story Lex is not dead, but (without revealing too much of my plot) his businesses are failing and ripe for takeover- at least I think that is how it works.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

thanks!

rkn
Top Banana
Top Banana
The takeover over Lex's business ventures would be fairly easy - Costmart and Price House would be part of a larger parent company with lots of money.

Lex's companies were part of a larger corporation as well, with Lex as the majority stock-holder. With Lex out of the picture, the voting rights to his stock would devolve onto whoever the company papers or the courts indicate. That person would then be in a position to be forced to divest (sell the stocks, probably at a major loss) to the parent company of Costmart.

In general, a hostile take-over occurs when enough of a company's stocks can be bought up to make the outsider a majority stockholder - without making an open offer to buy the company to the company's governing board. The takeover can be quiet - using third parties to get the stock before anyone realizes it's one person or company buying everything up.

As for Intergang taking over Lex's operations - murder, blackmail, etc.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
In our universe the SEC has a rule that you have to file paperwork if you buy more than a certain percentage of a companies stock. I think it's 5% and you have to state if you intend to just invest or take an active position in running it when you do. L&C law may be different or they can be buying smaller amounts under many names until they're ready to take over.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by dcarson:
In our universe the SEC has a rule that you have to file paperwork if you buy more than a certain percentage of a companies stock. I think it's 5% and you have to state if you intend to just invest or take an active position in running it when you do. L&C law may be different or they can be buying smaller amounts under many names until they're ready to take over.
Using the real world rules would make a take-over really devious. :p

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Columnist
Columnist
I guess you could kind of buy all the stock in fell swoop. If you intimidate the stockholders to sell their stock and require that they all sell it on a certain day at roughly the same time and you buy it up, you wouldn't be able to notify the SEC until after the fact. Now I don't know what would happen if you then informed the SEC that you had bought all this stock with the intention of taking over but I would imagine your extremely high priced lawyers could argue a good case of not knowing when the stocks would be available. Of course as part of the intimidation of the previous stockholders they would have various lies and circumstances set up by you to protect you. They also will know they and their families will die if what went on gets out. Sounds like I've read Lex Luthor's manual on how to do business. wildguy

RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
You could always make LexCorp a privately-held company where Lex Luthor held 100% of the stock. Then all the Church's would have to do would be to intimidate whoever the heirs are into selling their shares. The SEC has no control over privately-held companies.

No where does it state that LexCorp was a public company.

This might lead to a storyline where Lois or Clark get wind of a few deaths of Lex Luthor's heirs and go and investigate, only to uncover something huge: a new crime syndicate coming in to take over Metropolis's criminal empire.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard