Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay, so I'm trying to finish off my Best in Show fic and I think I have stumbled past my writers block but I need a little help from you all.

Have any of you actually ever been to a smaller dog show event? I need to know a few things:

1. What kind of places are they held? Convention centers? Hotel banquet rooms?
2. What kind of set up do they have for viewing the dogs? Is there just bleachers? Can you go to a centralized area and see the dogs being prepped?
3. Has anyone ever shown a dog? Can you run me through what happens when you do?

I don't know if I will get much help here but it couldn't hurt to ask. I'm also willing to take website links as well. I have found a few but not what I need so far. laugh

Thanks!

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Nope never been. [Did catch a couple minutes on Animal Planet once - think Mario Lopez was the host...]

But I will be anxiously be watching my inbox smile .
Carol

Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

I can tell you about dog shows in UK. My sister shows dogs, and I have been with her a few times.

There are smaller dog shows... and shows for smaller (toy) dogs. They, however would be dog shows for mostly one type of breed.

Because the number of dogs entered is less, they could be in smaller halls, but I've never heard of one being held in a hotel. Not in the UK anyway.

During summer, some shows are held outside in a park or showground. Mostly though, due to British weather, the outside shows have marquees as a back up.

A huge show like Crufts which has international entries is held in a very large convention centre, and Crufts has a large seating area for the audience. I think you would call them 'bleachers'. The smaller shows, usually just have rows of chairs round the 'showing' ring.

I think you can visit the areas where the dogs are prepared and see what's going on. However, I can't really say if this area is open to the public, or just to people who have dogs entered in the show. Again, I'd think it depended on the size of the show. I haven't noticed much security at the smaller shows. The bigger shows also have a retail area.

Most owners show their own dogs, but again the more professional breeders hire people to show their dog, though I think that only happens at the really big international shows.

Also, at the dog shows I've attended, the human 'showers' usually primp up a bit as well.

With small dogs the judge will examine the dog on a table. Use their hands and eyes to judge the dog. Then the person showing is asked to walk the dog around the ring, so the judge can inspect the dog's movement.

Finally, the judge will ask all the owners and dogs to line up and will take some time to take another look. If it's a big class, she'll pull out a shortleet and maybe ask to see the dogs walking again. Only after that will she make her final selection. Normally, first down to third, then a highly commended.

Mind you, with Crufts, to keep up the tension for the TV cameras, I think they reverse the order of the placements and the first -- Best in Show -- is announced last.

That's how it's done in the UK anyway, and I hope it answers some of your questions.

Yours Jenni

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thank you Jenni. That should help quite a bit. thumbsup

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The Sydney Royal Easter Show is on now...
This is NOT meant as an advertisement... but...
this would be at least some sort of an idea of where to look,
It is an annual event where the best and finest stock from throughout the state comes to the city for that sort of competition

Sydney Royal Easter Show, Domestic Animals...

explore the site for more details...

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
all sorts of stuff is on show, not just domestic animals...
we have agricultural comps, sheep-dogs... cakes, arts and crafts...

as well as rides/showbags/and other stuff you would imagine to see at (oh, say the) smallville corn festival

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard