#154868 04/01/07 08:27 AM
P
Patti Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
P
I was just wondering about why some stories that
i have been following on the boards after being finished are not in the archive? One i can think of right off hand
is The Girl Next Door. I know there have been others but i'm blanking on titles right now. Is there another Lois and
Clark archive i'm not aware of? Or do some authors
just put the fic on their own personal website and not send it to the archive? I was just wondering because i like to save fics in one piece when they are done to reread. I'm really not aware of a lot of author sites in this fandom.
Thanks

#154869 04/01/07 08:40 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, some nfics go to annesplace. Personally, I'm often too lazy to gather my fics up to send to the archive, so it may be months before I do it. I think I have 6 or 8 vignettes out now.

Sometimes, however, I choose not to send some stories to the archive. Perhaps I don't think they are as good as my other stories, or I'm embarrased about the subject matter, or I wrote them on a whim.

Sometimes it becomes clear that the fadom doesn't like certain stories as much as other stories.

So for me, I pick and choose what I send to the archive.

#154870 04/01/07 09:13 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Hi, Patti smile . I can't speak for Janet, of course, but The Girl Next Door is a very long story, written and posted in parts, and it may be that she's still doing her own edits on it, or it may be that she's sent it to the archive and it's still in the hands of the General Editor. The time it takes for a GE to work through a story varies according to the story and the GE's personal schedule, and even after it's been edited, there's usually a bit of a wait in the queue before it's actually uploaded. That way, the readers get a fairly consistent number of new stories each week. So TGND may well be somewhere in that process, and in that case, we'll see it hit the archive soon.

And as Shayne said, some authors just choose not to submit stories to the archive for various reasons. (I hope that's not the case with TGND, though!) I have one short one I've never submitted because it just doesn't seem interesting enough to bother about. I have one long one I haven't submitted (yet...) because it needs a lot of editing, and I am the absolute laziest person in the world when it comes to editing. So there can be lots of reasons smile .

Best,

Caroline

#154871 04/01/07 10:41 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's traditional for most stories posted here to end up on the Archive, but by no means all of them do and it's certainly not an automatic process.

I know it's automatic in a lot of other fandoms, but here in FoLCdom it's always been the choice of the author whether they submit their story to the Archive or not.

I can tell you that Janet is still tweaking AGND and will be submitting it to the Archive soon as she has a final copy she's happy with. goofy

Oh and, Caroline, thanks for the very succinct and accurate explanation of how the Archive/GEing process works. thumbsup

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#154872 04/01/07 10:57 AM
P
Patti Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
P
Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate it. I
guess i was just assuming that like in X-files fandom
with the Ephemeralfic site everything ends up in
the archive at the next update. Thats what i get for assuming. LOL I guess i'd better be sure to
save anything i like that i read here in case it is not archived.

#154873 04/01/07 11:35 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, I think we're in the minority and most fandoms pick up stories automatically, rather than letting the author's choose to submit them.

We're different, in part, because we also do something that most other fandoms don't - we edit each story submitted to the Archive for typos, errors in punctuation and grammar before they're uploaded to the website. Rather than just uploading them straight, unedited, or having a system that lets authors upload their stories to the website by themselves.

That kind of adds another dimension to the process that means we need the author's consent. We wouldn't feel comfortable - and I know most FoLCs wouldn't either - just picking up stories posted here on the mbs and editing them all over the place on an automatic basis, without the author's input/approval first.

So the two have gone hand in hand over the years, really, and led to us being 'different'. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#154874 04/02/07 02:22 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thank you for asking about my story, The Girl Next Door, Patti. Caroline and LabRat are correct; I am reading through the story now, looking for errors and checking for continuity.

Once I had a section ready for posting, I proofed it on the boards right before I posted it (looking for spelling and grammar errors one last time before I hit "Add Reply"). So even I haven't yet read the story uninterrupted from beginning to end. And as LabRat said, I am tweaking it slightly. There were two or three sections where I've fixed continuity errors, for instance. And because it is such a long story, I'm kind of pre-GEing it myself first. Hopefully, a GE will look it over, of course, because I suspect that being so close to the story, I may have missed a few things.

But yes, I will be submitting it to the Archive.

'Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
#154875 04/02/07 12:08 PM
P
Patti Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
P
Toc thanks so much for letting me know about
Girl and the archive. I will keep an eye out for it. You know, i can't remember if i ever sent you
feedback on it, i know i intended to. After you
post it to the archive and i reread it i'll send
you some feedback. I really liked your story a lot. It's premise is kind of unique in L&C fic, at
least in what i've read so far. Maybe there is another story with Lois with superpowers out there somewhere. (Naturally hers, that is, i have read and really liked Nan Smiths' How i Spent Christmas the second story.
Patti

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard