Page 1 of 2 1 2
#154700 03/23/07 07:59 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I need to apologize for implying that DJ's latest fic was a Lois deathfic. I started reading the story and decided to check out the ending first, because the title sounded so melancholy. The ending seemed to say, at least the way I read it, that this was most definitely a Lois deathfic. I checked out the beginning, which seemed consistent with the idea of this being a Lois deathfic. But there was no deathfic warning, which made me angry.

Well, my bad. DJ's story isn't a deathfic. I didn't realize that since I couldn't bring myself to read the story. I jumped to conclusions, and I'm sorry about that.

Those of you who plan to write a Lois deathfic, though... please, please, please post a deathfic warning.

Ann

#154701 03/24/07 01:34 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
But there was no deathfic warning, which made me angry.
I know we've gone through this more than once, but just to make it clear once again - a deathfic warning is not mandatory on this forum.

Authors may, if they so choose, be extra nice and put a deathfic warning at the start of their story in order to respect the feelings of those who don't like the genre.

However, it is just that. Their choice. Some authors don't like warnings because it may spoil a surprise ending. Others just plain don't believe in them.

And if an author doesn't want to use a warning, there's no requirement for them to do so.

Now, we can go through yet another thread here on this subject, and round and round in ever decreasing circles on it, (how many times have we had this topic show up now?) but it's not going to make a blind bit of difference. Warnings on this forum are the authors' choice, entirely up to them.

So, let me add my own plea...please, please, please...don't make me bring out that poor dead horse again. It's been beaten enough! wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#154702 03/24/07 02:33 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Eeeep! [Linked Image]

Oh my gosh! I so totally wasn't trying to start anything by writing that story. Ann, I am sorry that you misunderstood my story. And yes, I will admit, LabRat is correct, I didn't post a "deathfic" warning because I didn't personally feel that it applied in this case. This story was written as an inbetween scene for something that actually happened in the series. And the way I wrote the scene I was trying to be ambiguous. If I posted a "deathfic" warning at the beginning, not only would I have spoiled the fic... but because of this very issue of "deathfics" being a touchy issue, I was afraid that some people wouldn't read it if I labeled it a "deathfic". And since it wasn't a deathfic...

Okay but now I'm babbling and going on and so I'll shut up.

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#154703 03/24/07 03:06 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Authors may, if they so choose, be extra nice and put a deathfic warning at the start of their story in order to respect the feelings of those who don't like the genre.

However, it is just that. Their choice. Some authors don't like warnings because it may spoil a surprise ending. Others just plain don't believe in them.
umm, "extra nice", eh? Labrat, I'm sure that you didn't mean this to sound as diminishing of both those writers who care about the feelings of their readers as well as those readers who, for all sorts of valid reasons wish to avoid deathfics.

In the interest of balance perhaps you might call those writers who chose not to include a warning as "extra mean"?

I'm not disputing the right of authors to not use a warning. (sorry about that double negative) - I would object to the insertion of "extra mean" as much as to "extra nice.

The difficulty is that the issue involves two competing values - thoughtfulness for one's readers as opposed to the individual need to express oneself. It's a choice made by the author as you say.

My personal reaction? I'm a DJ fan and so I was pleased to see a vignette, feeling comfortable with how she approaches things. (I know that wording is vague smile ) I trust her. So I was surprised at the ending, although if I had remembered "Bad Brain" I wouldn't have been. smile That was a huge clue. So in this case for me (one of those wimpy readers with delicate sensibilities laugh ), no need for that warning.

Ann has been up front with an apology and DJ has graciously accepted it as well as explained what she was doing. Issue resolved.

Anyway ...

c. (who is now wondering about Bubbles aka Babbles laugh )

#154704 03/24/07 03:40 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"extra nice", eh? Labrat, I'm sure that you didn't mean this to sound as diminishing of both those writers who care about the feelings of their readers as well as those readers who, for all sorts of valid reasons wish to avoid deathfics.

In the interest of balance perhaps you might call those writers who chose not to include a warning as "extra mean"?
Um, no, I think those who choose not to include a warning would be called "normal" laugh Sorry, but most of us here are grown-ups who take responsibility for our choices in reading. Authors aren't required to explain their stories advance. If they choose to, it can be seen as "extra nice" -- but that by no means implies that to leave the warning off is any kind of mean.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#154705 03/24/07 03:41 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
If you wish to consider them so, you go right ahead, Carol. Whatever floats your boat. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#154706 03/24/07 04:43 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Um, no, I think those who choose not to include a warning would be called "normal" Sorry, but most of us here are grown-ups who take responsibility for our choices in reading. Authors aren't required to explain their stories advance. If they choose to, it can be seen as "extra nice" -- but that by no means implies that to leave the warning off is any kind of mean.
lol - Pam, I never said that those who don't use warnings were not "normal" (a loaded word as is "grown-up") or that they *must* put warnings on their stories. You've misunderstood my point smile At any rate you haven't referred to my argument. smile
Probably your missing my point is as much my fault for expressing myself poorly.

So I'll try again. I objected to the use of the label "extra nice" when no parallel phrase was used for those who don't use warnings. By not doing that, the phrase sounds patronizing and hence implies that we who appreciate such warnings are out of line for doing so.

I should add that I assumed Labrat was speaking in her Admin capacity when she posted rather than as an ordinary poster stating a personal opinion.

Had Labrat said:
" Authors may, if they so choose put a deathfic warning at the start of their story in order to respect the feelings of those who don't like the genre.

However, it is just that. Their choice. Some authors don't like warnings because it may spoil a surprise ending. Others just plain don't believe in them."
there would have be no imbalance. So the statement is neutral in tone.

Please notice that at no point in my post did I say that such a warning is necessary. In fact, I tried to point out that in this issue you have two different different values in play, both of which are reasonable. Neither one nor the other is more "normal" than the other. And you're right - it is the author's prerogative to decide which of those values is more important where they do conflict. I'd hoped that I felt that way was clear in post too. smile

What "floats my boat" is balance in the use of language applied to both sides:
Either use "extra nice" on the one hand as well as "extra mean" on the other, or exclude both phrases. The latter, imo, is the way to go and I'd hoped that was clear in my posts.

c.

#154707 03/24/07 05:46 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'd like to weigh in as one who pretty much makes a living out of being nice. Basically, I'm a professional nice person. And as such, I would dearly love to be known as "Extra Mean" here!

I absolutely, positively disagree with WHAM warnings of any type or flavor.

Though I do worry that the title of my current WiP: The Long, Slow, Pointless Death of Lois Lane may be a bit of a give away...?

(Sorry, Ann!! I kid because I care! laugh )

((And, also, because I'm mean... dance ))

CC

PS- I've missed this place!

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#154708 03/24/07 05:51 AM
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Though I do worry that the title of my current WiP: The Long, Slow, Pointless Death of Lois Lane may be a bit of a give away...?
*snicker*

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
#154709 03/24/07 06:40 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOL!!

to be followed by the sequel?: The Quick, Agonizing, Pointless Death of Clark Kent laugh Now that would be very nice and so would balance the very mean .

Symmetry! Not so fearful.

But seriously, folks, if you're still reading this and haven't yet read DJ's very touching vignette, then where are your priorities? Eh?

c.

#154710 03/24/07 01:07 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My point, Carol, is that if I generally give my child $2.00 a week for allowance, then it would be "extra nice" of me, one week, to increase it to $3. However, it would not be "mean" at all to keep the allowance where it had been. (Unless you're talking statistics laugh )

"Extra mean," I suppose, would be to swear up and down that nobody's gonna die, and then kill them anyway. Which was always my problem with Tank Endings, actually... but that trend seems to have mostly died out.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#154711 03/24/07 02:46 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
My point, Carol, is that if I generally give my child $2.00 a week for allowance, then it would be "extra nice" of me, one week, to increase it to $3. However, it would not be "mean" at all to keep the allowance where it had been.
Please don't misunderstand, Pam, I have not said at any point that a writer has no right to chose between withholding a warning or giving a warning. That depends on the individual writer and what s/he values more. As well, readers differ in what they expect from the writers of our fanfic as they do in their interest in different sub-genres, etc.

Instead, I was raising a point about the even-handness of describing the situation and suggesting that we perhaps avoid labeling one side but not the other.

However, I also assure you that I respect your opinion that concern for the reader is of lesser importance. Each person makes that decision for herself, of course.

But, heck, raise the kid's allowance. It would be mean not to do so. laugh

c.

#154712 03/25/07 02:06 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Your kid is only getting a $2.00 allowance, in this day and age? What are they going to do with that? You can't even buy a full gallon of gasoline for $2.00, and that's severely going to limit your child's opportunity to engage in interesting "science" experiments, like testing what happens if they pour the gasoline down a mole tunnel and throw in a match.

#154713 03/25/07 06:39 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
lol, Fuzz! I'm not about to suggest that idea to them laugh Technically, it's $2.50/week (they're only 9 and 7) but they have to give 10% off the top to God, and another 10% to savings, so that leaves them with 2 bucks.

It's been interesting -- at the grocery store the other day, Marissa was pleading and begging for me to buy her this cute little story book. I asked her if she wanted to spend *her* money on it... and all of a sudden, she didn't want it that much.

But now I'm *totally* off topic... sorry, y'all! Sarah made me do it! It's All Fuzz's Fault!

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#154714 03/25/07 12:17 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Technically, it's $2.50/week (they're only 9 and 7) but they have to give 10% off the top to God
Very smooth! Maybe I'd be a more habitually tithing individual today if that was part of my allowance at any point. :p

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#154715 03/25/07 02:17 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah, we were never taught tithing as kids, either. Not sure if my parents tithe. But we started it when we got married, at least, and I'll have to keep that in mind as a good way to teach the kids. Poor Elisabeth. Even if I make allowance a multiple of age (50 cents for every year of age, or something like that), she'd still get nothing yet.

As for the mole tunnel and gasoline, my husband did actually do that as a kid. Apparently it's an exciting way to find out where else the mole tunnel hits the surface--like in a neighbor's yard.

And now we're *really* off-topic. Sorry!

#154716 03/26/07 02:14 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Okay - not to highjack or anything... or go further off topic...

But while I knew our beloved little Meerkat got married, did I just read she's also a MOM?!?!?! smile

Carol

#154717 03/26/07 02:33 AM
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Since this thread has already been derailed, I'll just chime in here laugh . I don't think $2.50 (or $2.0) is too little for a nine-year-old. What's a nine-year-old going to need tons of money for? When I was that age, I got about the same amount (of course, $2.50 was also worth more back then, so it would be, like, $3.50 today) and I put most of it in my savings account. I got about $15/week in high school (and that included money to buy new clothes). And I didn't die from deprivation.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
#154718 03/26/07 05:23 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
My parents couldn't afford to give us allowances, and I got by just fine. When I turned 14, I got a part-time job, and saved up for my own car and everything.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#154719 03/26/07 05:30 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I can't remember exactly what I was getting when I was 9. It was either 2 or 5 dollars. I know it went up to 7 or 10 once I got to middle school. Of course, that money was mostly meant for hot lunches at school. I could either use the money on the hot lunch, or pack a lunch and save the money. Which, of course, was then used on soda and candy.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard