Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey guys!

An important reminder (since we ran into this problem today frown ) that only FoLCs may vote in the Kerth Awards.

As specified in the FAQ, getting your husband, wife, mom, dad, sister, brother, neighbour, cat and goldfish to vote for your story is considered ballot stuffing. As a result, we discard every suspicious vote.

Extreme stuffing might even bring us to disqualify a story, and we'd hate for that to happen. frown

Please take a moment to re-read the FAQ on the Kerth website. The rules are important and ensure the competition remains fair.

Kaethel
Kerth Awards Coordinator

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Top Banana
Top Banana
That's too bad. Always distressing when odd voting occurs.

But how do you determine who is a folc? How do you know that the voter is not an Archive addict who has never bothered to register on either these mbs, Zooms mbs or the fanfic listserv?

Or is this one of those tracing it back to a shared computer thing that is beyond the ken of techno-peasants like me?

What about two folcs in the same family? Or a couple folcs at the same workplace (not that a folc would ever do fanfic stuff at work - never , ever, of course)

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm not on K-Com, Carol, but I know that Kae has just gone to bed so won't be able to answer your question until tomorrow. For the sake of anyone who's reading and worrying that their vote might get discarded just because they share a house or communal computer facilities with another FoLC, I think there's nothing to worry about.

As far as I recall from the general answer K-Com gave the last time we had an incident of ballot-stuffing, suspicions get raised by a combination of circumstances, including but not limited to IP addresses. They didn't want to state what these circumstances are, quite reasonably, because that might actually present a cheat with ways to circumvent detection. wink

I also remember Erin saying that where there's doubt, as opposed to pretty clear-cut evidence, K-Com will contact the voter to clarify the circumstances.

I'm sure someone from K-Com will give an official answer in due course, but I hope this will reassure you in the meantime. smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The presumption is always that a vote is genuine, whether the email address is familiar or not, unless something about it is dodgy. As Wendy says, we prefer not to spell out the red flags, but there are a few. And the policy was always to contact the voter if there were questions about the vote. Most of the time it's something innocent and explainable, but every once in a while, people do try to cheat. frown

I've never quite understood why. It's not as if we're doing cash prizes or anything.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for the explanation, guys. I don't totally understand, but understand a bit more . smile

I've never quite understood why. It's not as if we're doing cash prizes or anything.
It seems odd, doesn't it. Could be some troll looking to do a bit of sabotage or just some kid sibling wanting to be supportive?

c.

Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Pam and Wendy have already answered your question, Carol, and yes, indeed, there has to be a combination of signs for us wave the red flags. Identical IP addresses is one of those signs but certainly not the only one, and I hope you all understand why we don't want to reveal what other circumstances can make us suspicious. smile

Don't worry - we're never ditching votes without being certain they're an attempt at ballot stuffing. Sometimes (and that's the case this time around) it's a case of people not being aware of the rules. Other times it can unfortunately be more malignous, but thank goodness that's pretty rare. smile

All we want to do is make sure the competition remains fair. Any rejected ballot has their sender warned as well - we don't do things behind people's back so no worry there. smile

We're trying to do our job as best as we can and, as said earlier, part of the job is to ensure that no cheating is involved.

Kaethel smile
Kerth Coordinator

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Kerth
Kerth
Ah, but the glory lasts forever, doesn't it? jump

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard