Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Top Banana
Top Banana
it doesn't have much of it in the first place. At least not if you compare it to German or Latin.
English's grammar is inherently simpler from its roots. Pidgin languages normally have a stripped down grammar - as compared to Latin, French and German. English does not have noun genders, the verb tenses are actually simplified from the get go, and then to complexify them to create the additional tenses the verbs are made into compounds (I have, I had, I did have).

I maintain, as someone who way back when, actually took Latin, German, Spanish, and a smattering of Russian, the difficulty of English is not its inherent difficuty, but its inherent flexibility. I mean, how many ways can you say 'blue' in Latin or Russian? I mean, English is like Perl - if you can't come up with at least five different ways of saying something (and all gramatically correct), you're not trying. thumbsup

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree Dandello.

And then there are the letters not written but pronounced:
(y)uniform, n(y)ew (okay, it shoud be a yod...)
"New" isn't pronounced with a Y. It's always been like "noo" for me and everyone I've ever heard say the word. "Nyew" has usually just been said when someone was emphasizing the word, I think.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"New" isn't pronounced with a Y. It's always been like "noo" for me and everyone I've ever heard say the word. "Nyew" has usually just been said when someone was emphasizing the word, I think.
I've only ever heard it pronounced 'noo' by someone from New York or Boston goofy Everyone else I've ever met pronounces it 'nyew'. That's certainly the way I was taught to say it, and how it's pronounced in the UK and Ireland, and in the parts of Canada I've been so far.

I've just checked Merriam-Webster, which offers both pronunciations as valid.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kerth
Kerth
Sorry, I was talking about the general British pronunciation. I have been told, though, that there is a tendency among younger folcs in GB to pronounce it "noo", too.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Merriwether
Merriwether
This whole 'new' thing is confusing me. I've been saying the word over and over again and I have no idea how I'm pronoucing it.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've never heard new pronounced nyew except for emphasis. I always pronounce it noo.

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Until I read this thread I wasn't aware there was another way to pronounce new but nyew. goofy

Learn something n(y)ew... laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by SuperRoo:
I've been saying the word over and over again and I have no idea how I'm pronoucing it.
reminds me of a class I had at uni last year

one of my classmates was an exchange student from Ohio (I think) and when he read a passage about "peaks and troughs" (TROUFS) in a graph... he pronounced it
"TROWEL" as in a small shovel
the whole group of 6 others (all Aussies) burst out laughing, and from then on we only said TROWEL in the group... as a joke...

now I find it difficult to say TROUGH (FF) without getting confused)

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
a reply to your mouse/mice post... I sent it on to a few friends and this came back...

If more than one mouse is mice
And more than one louse is lice,
The it's easy to see and plain as can be
That more than one spouse is spice.
Wilhelm Gruff

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Kerth
Kerth
I've never heard new pronounced nyew except for emphasis. I always pronounce it noo.
So, Tara, where are you from?

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm in California. I've lived here all of my life.

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
Merriwether
Merriwether
I think they might make the n stronger but nyew sounds like something from the Spanish n with ~ on top.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
well here down under....
it has always been nyew
except ofcourse to some of my baby cousins... who say noo,

just like:
nyewz vs nooze (for newspaper...)

it is the EW that makes the OO sound...
like in EWE (the female sheep...!) pronounced thr same as YOU

{I wish I had a really cute icon of a sheep to add to this post}

Kerth
Kerth
I'm in California. I've lived here all of my life.
Which proves my phonetics and phonology teacher right again. 'Nyew' for British folks (minus the younger ones), 'noo' for American folks. Unfortunately, he never mentioned Australians. frown

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Not where I'm from (Alabama). Ewe is pronounced like ew (as in "ew - gross"), but less drawn-out and does not sound like you. Nor does ewe or new rhyme with moo, which does sound like you.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
wow...
I alwayes thought a EWE was pronounced same as YOU...

Here Downunder, where there are more sheep than people in our countries population (don't ask me how many...) we keep our animals nice and clean... no gross ones anywhere in sight...

We have a population similar to that of NY (20-21million, well 15 years ago when we were 17million it was correct??? now???)
and a land area of about twice the size of Europe...
And yet most of that is desert....

but the numbers game has nothing to do with the probability of yelling out "Hey YOU" and getting it mistaken with "Hey EWE"
lol rotflol

{STill want a nice emoticon of a sheep to put here}
wink

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Tzigone:
Not where I'm from (Alabama). Ewe is pronounced like ew (as in "ew - gross"), but less drawn-out and does not sound like you. Nor does ewe or new rhyme with moo, which does sound like you.
If EW (Gross) doen't rhyme with MOO... what does it rhyme with?
"Oh!"?.... Ahh"?.....?????
to me Ew (Gross) sounds like OOOH!! (or something)

A friend of mine is studying a master's in education... a part of which she is studying the SPALDING method for teaching literacy.... very similar to phonics, except more structured, and not at all the whole language method (no comment on either efficacies)...
NE way the thing is based on American phonetics... except You guys have such differing pronounciations throughout your country, that I have no Idea where Dr Spalding arived at his final choice....
In the instruction manual, the teacher is told to choose out of a list of pronounciations for the vowel sounds depending on local variations... it is very confusing

Kerth
Kerth
Well, as a matter of fact, there is a (standard) pronunciation called 'General American' or 'GenAm'. That's what you can learn here - apart from the standard British one ('Received Pronunciation" or 'RP').

Top Banana
Top Banana
I alwayes thought a EWE was pronounced same as YOU...
Me too, and I'm American.

If EW (Gross) doen't rhyme with MOO... what does it rhyme with?
I don't think it rhymes with anything, but I've always pronounced it like a less-exaggerated "ee-you."

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I was born and raised in the U.S. South, and I've always said 'nyew' which rhymes with the way I would say 'ewe'. It's very true that whereever you go in the USA, you will hear varied pronunciations, and determining what is standard American is very difficult. I have lived in Tennerssee in what I called 'Nashvul' much to the amusement of my nothern friends who said 'Nash Ville.' I have lived not too far from 'Nyorlins' which many people pronounce 'Noo Orleens'. I lived near Chicago for a while where restaurants offered not 'pi cahn' but 'pee can' pie. I lived in California where most people say 'Loss Anjelus', but some say 'Loss Anjuleez' and old timers say 'Loss Angulus'. Now I live in the Northwest which is said to be the place with the closest to the Standard American accent. Maybe, but I think it's because you hear all of the above here.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard