Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#154008 02/05/07 11:58 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
All I can say is that those who write on paper must be incredibly fluent writers. Take that sentence I just wrote - I typed part of it, went back to the beginning, added a phrase, deleted the whole thing and started again, added a word in the middle, etc, etc. If I did that on paper, the resulting mess of scorings out, insertions and amendments would be illegible.

Also, Chris, I'd disagree that your fondness for paper is an age thing: I'm older than you laugh . I, too, learned to type on a manual typewriter, was very happy to move onto an electronic model, and finally transferred to primitive word processing. Nowadays, I reckon I can type as fast as I can write and, given the choice of taking dictation by hand or on a keyboard, would always choose the latter - it's less tiring and the end result is far, far more legible <g>.

Yvonne

#154009 02/05/07 12:36 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Well, the love of paper doesn't seem to be an age thing to me. I do write on paper when I can't access my computer, and most of the time I don't need to edit much - which means that I have the double amount of writing to do. And I've learned to type on a electronic typewriter, although I've used a manual one, too. Oh, and I'm twenty-six. Not that old, huh?

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#154010 02/05/07 02:19 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm 23, and I usually prefer paper when I need to edit things. It's like, when I write on paper, that's my first draft, and then typing the story is my second, third, fourth, etc. draft.

I also like to beta read/GE on paper, if I have the time and/or opportunity. It's easier to spot mistakes on paper than it is on screen for me too.

It's only since I took my first college English class that I started composing first drafts and beyond on the computer, unless you count my journals, which I've been either typing or writing first since I was 5 years old.

I've also found myself typing everything first more and more often, though I still like to write it on paper if there's no computer handy. But the sad part is, the more I type things first, whenever I go back to writing my hand cramps up faster and faster every time.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#154011 02/05/07 08:37 PM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I sometimes use paper, but most of the time I'm just typing on the computer. When I write on paper there are even more Germanisms in the whole thing than those that slip in anyway.

I prepare difficult scenes on the paper, changing them almost completely when I go to the computer. But I can spot plot lines that won't work out by seeing them written. Most of the time I use paper, when a computer isn't available.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#154012 02/05/07 09:11 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Also, Chris, I'd disagree that your fondness for paper is an age thing: I'm older than you . I, too, learned to type on a manual typewriter, was very happy to move onto an electronic model, and finally transferred to primitive word processing. Nowadays, I reckon I can type as fast as I can write and, given the choice of taking dictation by hand or on a keyboard, would always choose the latter - it's less tiring and the end result is far, far more legible <g>.
Bizarrely, I also can type as fast as I write... and I agree that the result is more legible. (Is this irony? wink )

As for what you (Yvonne) suggested about paper lovers being fluent writers... I'd have to say no. You haven't seen my pieces of paper. They end up covered with scrawly handwriting, insertions, crossings out, asterisks to show where changes take place but where I don't have room to write them in...

Chris

#154013 02/05/07 10:49 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Personally, I have serious trouble starting something, leaving, and then having any idea how to continue when I get back. My ideas usually come and go, which is why I only write vignettes or other short stories.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#154014 02/06/07 02:40 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Bizarrely, I also can type as fast as I write... and I agree that the result is more legible.
I type faster than I write by hand. And depending on the day, my handwriting might or might not be legible.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#154015 02/06/07 10:42 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Here's something pertinent to this discussion. Go to Shoe Comics and find the Saturday, February 3rd strip.

I think that might describe a number of the writers in this community as to how we write.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#154016 02/06/07 11:25 AM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Saw the commic strip, Terry. Yep, I can certainly relate laugh .

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard