Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Lately there's been a bit of discussion about 'moving on'.

But, with one exception, I can think of no fics that are exclusively about Lois moving on - where Clark is either dead or Lois gives up hope for a life with him and, by the end, has moved on to be with someone else while Clark remains alone.

I'm really curious why this double standard exists. { I'd like to leave discussion of "immortal Clark" out of this because that's been discussed before. Besides it gets us into the 'soulmates' discussion which is not what I'm getting at. I mean the 'normal age' Lois and Clark fics.)

So why the dearth of "Lois moving on" fics?

In another thread, Nancy wrote:
[QUOTE] I am glad that she finally got a dose of her won [own] medicine! ( much later edit: it wasn't Nancy who said this but Sheila) /QUOTE]
So, is it this "Lois must be punished" idea?
But why?

Is it because she wanted to be the best at her job? (but that "uppity female" argument doesn't apply in 2007, does it?)

Or because she loved Superman, rather than Clark, in most of Season 1? (although on her wedding day, it was Clark she loved and so said no to Luthor)

Because she didn't figure out that Clark was Superman in S1?

the Mary Sue thing?

Or because we believe Clark can do no wrong? He is always lovable, regardless of what he does. smile (what my psych text calls the 'halo' affect) ?

Other reasons?

And why such a harsh punishment?

Now perhaps Sue's "Platonic" will become a Lois moves on fic (although I hope not smile ) since it deals with the aftermath of Clark's dumping Lois at the end of ... you all know the ep the title which I've forgotten laugh ) In that circumstance, Lois could fall into a passionate love affaire (after all, Sue is posting this in nfic wink ) with some amazing new character and then marry him at the end?

Maybe I've just missed the "Lois moves on fics"? And there's not this double standard in fics at all?

c.

C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
But, with one exception, I can think of no fics that are exclusively about Lois moving on - where Clark is either dead or Lois gives up hope for a life with him and, by the end, has moved on to be with someone else while Clark remains alone.
Would "Ad Aspera per Aspera" be the exception by chance? It's a magnificent example of what you're describing, I think.

And this may not qualify, since L&C do end up together in this fic, but I think Demi's "Heaven's Prisoners" does a lovely job of showing Lois moving on. It's been a while since I read it, but my sense was that had Clark not come back into her life, Lois would have moved on and could have been happy with someone else. It might not have been the exact same happiness she had with Clark, but it wouldn't have been meaningless either. She gives Clark another chance because she loved him first and because they were married and that means something to her, but not because her life was totally empty and worthless without him.

In the end, however, I think the dearth of "Lois moving on" fics can probably be attributed to the fact that so many of us are hopeless L&C shippers. blush I know I wouldn't write it, just because I'm here because I love to see Lois and Clark together, even if I torture them a little along the way. There may be a slightly greater number of "Clark moving on" fics, probably because of the likelihood that he'll outlive her, but they're still in the minority.

Caroline

ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Interesting, Caroline. But neither of the fics you've cited fit - In Ad Astra, Clark moves on as well as Lois. So no double standard.

And in Demi's amazing Heaven's Prisoners, L & C are together at the end. In that story, Clark, too, was on the verge of a relationship with someone else, but like Lois with her boyfriend, he couldn't bring himself to take it to the next level. The title says it all smile

As well, I wanted to exclude the 'elsewhere' super long-lived Clark because that raises a whole different set of issues and has been discussed here and elsewhere.

No, it's the 'normal age" Lois and Clark fics I'm asking about. Yep, they're a minority of fics - but the double standard does exist, both with readers and writers, and I'm curious abut why it does.

so many of us are hopeless L&C shippers. I know I wouldn't write it, just because I'm here because I love to see Lois and Clark together,
Me too. smile

c

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think it's mostly the hopeless shipper thing smile I don't want to see either of them "moving on." As long as they're both alive, I'm not going to want to see either of them happy with anybody else.

But then I'm famous for demanding happily-ever-afters smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
In Ad Astra, Clark moves on as well as Lois. So no double standard.
Oops. My eye skipped right over the part where Clark had to be completely alone. Probably because my poor heart can't take it laugh

Well, you're right. I can't think of one like that!

C.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't want to see either of them "moving on." As long as they're both alive, I'm not going to want to see either of them happy with anybody else.
Ditto. I'm 100% with you, Pam. thumbsup Lois & Clark forever. love

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Perhaps there is a unconscious thought that if *we* had Clark (we being the women FoLCs), *we* would never treat him in such an abominable manner. Lois did, and therefore she should be punished by remaining alone for life. I think if we were to take a survey, not many would admit to this feeling, but it may be underlying nonetheless.

Come to think of it, I can't offhand think of any fics where Lois is indeed alone for life. All the separation fics I can recall (before 9am smile ) have Clark coming back in the end. Looks like I need to catch up on my archive reading!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Perhaps there is a unconscious thought that if *we* had Clark (we being the women FoLCs), *we* would never treat him in such an abominable manner.
But Clark treated Lois pretty badly, too, at times. So why no "punish" Clark fics? And there really are none. Is it as simple as the gender thing - we still are harder on own sex than on men?

or is it like the line from the book -"She'll forgive a man for anything if he's good-looking enough". (I think it might have been Anne of Green Gables, believe it or not laugh )

Btw, I was asking about not just the "Lois left alone" fics, but also fics in which Lois dies prematurely. There aren't many, as Caroline, says, but unlike the Lois parallel there's more than one of them.

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey ccmalo!

I think part of why there are maybe no "moving on" fics is because as authors, we tend to write what we think will be enjoyed by the readers. For the most part, I don't think any of us want to see Lois or Clark "move on". We want desperately for them to end up together - one way or the other.

I'm positive that's why I haven't written a "moving on" fic.

However, I'm not above writing a "torture Clark" fic. <g> I'm always up for those. I'm attempting to do a little bit of torture on him in 50 First (with Sue's help).

But this is definitely an interesting topic. I think I'd be afraid of being run out of town on a rail if I wrote a fic in which Lois dumps Clark (or vice versa) in a permanent fashion and gets together with someone else. blush But I'm a little insecure that way. <g>

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting... Hey how about the super-evil story..

Marry In Haste

evil

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Ah, yes, but everyone knows that Tank is hugely preferable to Clark Kent. laugh I mean, no contest!

btw, I'm not asking for "Lois moves on fic"- far from it !

c.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Because I won't stand for it. They have to be together! *stomps foot and pouts*

wink

Seriously, I think most of the readers and writers are incurable romantics, and we want to see our favorite couple end up together. Some rocky parts are fine along the way, but we don't want to see a big Dead End sign at the end.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Top Banana
Top Banana
Because a fic that focused on Lois wouldn't really interest me, either to write or read. Same with fics focusing on Jimmy, Perry, Cat Grant, Martha, Jonathan, etc, etc. I like reading about Clark - which I know is pretty narrow-minded of me, but there you go. I am what I am. blush

Yvonne

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I like reading fics about them moving on after each other, but it depends on the premise and I like reading about how they would deal with seeing each other again after X amount of years. Which is why I love Demi's 'Heaven's Prisoners. They both have moved on, but the moment they see each other agin the old feelings are back and suddenly how do they deal with it? Does she marry the man she is currently seeing or go back to the man who although broke her heart she is still in love with. Clark probably wouldn't really be able to move on even if Lois did. It would kill him to see her with another man, but he loves her too much to hold her back and so he would let her go.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think it's a matter of Lois' attitude from the beginning and the fact that she was always the one who had the choice in the relationship. Clark knew what he wanted, but he could only have it if Lois wanted it, too. If she didn't -- and let's face it, most of the time, she not only didn't know whether she did or not, she did her damnedest to fight it, hide her feelings and demonstrate her appalling taste in human men.

We don't need "punish Clark" fics; even if, as I do not think, Clark deserves equal "punishment", most of the first two years of their relationship is "punish Clark", coming to a head after the Sardine appears and is not immediately shot for lowering the human average IQ.

As for "Lois moving on" fics... well, why bother? On the simplest level, the name of the series is "Lois and Clark", and it's the pair of them together -- the idea that Superman is more than just Clark Kent in a pair of tights and a cape -- that makes the series concept work. Without Clark, Lois has no reason to exist. There can be strong female characters like her, but Lois Lane has been part of the Superman mythos right from the start, for nearly 70 years now, and without him, she may as well be... oh, I dunno, Wanda Detroit -- and I, for one, am not particularly interested in reading "The Adventures of Wanda Detroit." I can just about cope with "Clark moves on after Lois' death" fics because I'm a long-time Superman fan (though not of late), but there's still something wrong about them -- which is why I like the "soul mates" idea; it allows decades-hence tales of "Lois" and Clark to be told. (Hi, Nan! laugh )

I could go on, but won't; it's late, and the prospect of opening more worm-cans holds no attraction. And besides, I'm with Caroline and Pam (as you might have guessed wink ); I don't like that sort of story and will not read it -- not even so-called "amazing" stories like Heaven's Prisoners, which, FWIW, I thought was horrible.

Phil

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
CC, I understand what you are asking but you make it sound like there are this great quantity of Clark moves on fics, and not many of the Lois moves on type. Actually, if you exclude the fact that Clark will inevitibly outlive Lois, there aren't too many of the Clark moves on type of fics either. Granted, Lois, being mortal, is a little more suseptible to being killed than Clark and that can give him a slight advantage.

But,let's face a couple of L&C fanfic facts. First, there are more women than men on these boards and they tend to gravitate toward Clark as the focus of their stories. The other (which was mentioned) is that folc don't particularly want to read stories where either Lois or Clark wind up without the other. That being the case, the desire to write such stories in not all that great either.

The truth is; Lois is probably better equipted emotionally to 'move on' without Clark, than Clark is without Lois.

Since I am a Lois fanatic, I tend to care more about Lois in stories than Clark, and have made her the focal point in my stories more often than I have Clark (which is why Yvonne hates my fics wink ).

I've written at least two fics(that I can recall) where Lois is without Clark as her significant other. The first was 'The Choice' which places Lois in the situation where she loses Clark and has to make a choice as to how to spend the rest of her life. The other one (which I have to say I got quite a bit of flak for) was 'Sometimes Love isn't Enough'. That one presented Lois as the one who had decided to end her marriage with Clark and strike off on a life of her own, though she remained friends with Clark.

Even though I'm not all that enamored with Clark Kent I usually have Lois end up with him because she's shown that she's rather fond of him.

Tank (who figures that this thread will probably ignite a spate of Lois goes it alone fics)

ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
We don't need "punish Clark" fics; even if, as I do not think, Clark deserves equal "punishment", most of the first two years of their relationship is "punish Clark", coming to a head after the Sardine appears and is not immediately shot for lowering the human average IQ.
Just wanted to say that I'm not advocating "punish Clark" fics anymore than I like the idea of "punish Lois" fics. I think both approaches miss the point of what each character was about - they miss the nuances that were there.

But, Phil, how can you forget about Mayson Drake who served the same purpose in the series as Scardino? Both Lois and Clark/Superman each did their share of "punishing" the other in the first couple of years of the series. At times, neither was at their best. But more often they were wonderful. smile

Tank, with respect, I'm not sure your two stories quite fit because Lois doesn't move on to a new relationship in them, although 'The Choice' is a Clark deathfic. Btw, I always thought that "Sometimes' ended on a note of hope that they would re-unite. But you mean .... oh no!

Phil said:
As for "Lois moving on" fics... well, why bother? On the simplest level, the name of the series is "Lois and Clark", and it's the pair of them together -- the idea that Superman is more than just Clark Kent in a pair of tights and a cape -- that makes the series concept work.
Couldn't agree more. smile

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I saw a couple of interesting things here.

Perhaps there is a unconscious thought that if *we* had Clark (we being the women FoLCs), *we* would never treat him in such an abominable manner. Lois did, and therefore she should be punished by remaining alone for life. I think if we were to take a survey, not many would admit to this feeling, but it may be underlying nonetheless.
Interesting, but speaking as the Sassy Town Cynic here, I could have easily acted the same way as Lois did. Maybe not quite to the degree she did, but I wouldn't punish her for it. I'd say 'she's only human', but she's a fictional character. <g>

I think it's a matter of Lois' attitude from the beginning
That flashed like a control tower to me. I could easily see Lois berating herself for not being able to have more time with Clark once she finally realized what a catch he was. I think she'd have to break through that before she could move on.

But then again, I'm not really into the soulmates thing, fictionally speaking or not. I don't think there's just-one-and-only-one right person for everybody.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I could have easily acted the same way as Lois did. Maybe not quite to the degree she did, but I wouldn't punish her for it.
I quite agree. I was just postulating a theory. But I myself have screwed up a few times in the relationship department myself, so I can't see myself writing that type of fic just to punish Lois. But others might, and it may even be subconscious.

Snazzy avatar, Jen. smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Maybe it's not about punishment. My theory is that Lois comes across as a normal human woman, albeit very strong and willful compared to average perhaps. Clark is the romantic, who we swoon over partly because of his rare, unshakable monogomy.

In other words, it's obvious that Lois could move on just as well as any other woman. Superman may be a tough act to follow, but Lois can endure. We know she can, so we don't need to "watch over her", so to speak. laugh

Clark, on the other hand, is clearly lost without Lois. So in the mind, his personality and behavior actually *beg* the question "Could he move on? Is he capable of it?"

Thus, that gets explored more often.

My 2 cents. smile

~•~
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I am also of the "they should be together" school, but, even so, here are some additional thoughts in the other direction.

Possible scenarios for Lois to lose Clark and move on:

1 - Clark dies. However, he is difficult to kill and death by natural causes isn't likely until he's an old man.

2 - Lois decides that she doesn't love Clark, marries someone else *and* (because "moving on" implies contentment) lives happily ever after. Not likely because we tend to believe that she would eventually come to regret letting Clark get away, which doesn't equal contentment.

3 - Clark leaves Lois. Not something we can really conceive of, with the exception of the NK arc. The entire basis of this fandom is that Clark loves Lois. We can take out the Planet, mess with the superpowers, pretend the Kents didn't exist, or prevent Krypton from blowing up, but a L&C fanfic in which Clark meets Lois (the one from his own universe) and doesn't eventually love her (or in the case of a bad Clark, have a cruel fascination with her) is very, very rare.* So the idea of him leaving her is a very hard concept for a FoLC to swallow.

(*Although one example was pointed out to me: "The Road Taken" - very good story - but even in that one there was an attraction and the future was left open ended. I have hopes that Terry will write a sequel to this one eventually, even if it involves L&C *not* getting together.)

Possible scenarios for Clark to lose Lois and move on:

1 - Lois' death. Much more likely than Clark's death because she is human and has a knack for trouble to boot.

2 - Lois' leaves/rejects Clark and possibly marries someone else, either happily or unhappily. Obviously there is precedent for this.

The two "Clark moves on" scenarios are more plausible in my opinion than the three "Lois moves on" scenarios. So, assuming there are indeed more "Clark moves on" stories, maybe that's why.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
QofC, I like your thoughts. I agree with you (and Tank) that Clark would have a harder time moving on, so I guess there is more to explore there.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm of the belief that I wouldnt really be interested in reading a fic where either one of them moves on. I'm one of the hopeless romantics, blush thats why I fell in love with L&C in the first place. I love the romance, comedy and the action all mixed together. I typically dont read moving on fics, I've galanced over Ad Astra, but I like the happy endings so I wasnt interested. I'm also that way with movies I typically dont watch sad movies because I watch movies and read to escape from reality.

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Well, I can't resist. smile

Lisa wrote:
1 - Clark dies. However, he is difficult to kill and death by natural causes isn't likely until he's an old man.
Unless he's killed on NK. smile
Also all sorts of ways that Clark could logically be killed - he's saved so often from Kryptonite wounds you have to wonder what the long term damage to his system would be. Or what about K shrapnel that couldn't be removed from his body? Long- term toxic impact of Earth's alien environment? (Yvonne played with this is idea in her excellent Heliophobia, but didn't go the distance and kill him off laugh )
Clark gets rescued 'just in time' from a K encounter so often that you have to wonder whether sooner or later the cavalry's going to be too late. I bet you can get odds in Las Vegas on that. laugh

(Now this doesn't mean I like dead-Clark fics anymore than I like dead-Lois fics. Just that I think writers could kill Clark pretty easily smile )

1 - Lois' death. Much more likely than Clark's death because she is human and has a knack for trouble to boot.
Maybe, and yet, if we have this idea in our head that Clark will always be saved from K, then isn't there also a similar thought that Lois will always be rescued? Or does the double standard apply here too - Clark gets to be rescued, Lois doesn't? And if Bernie Klein's always going to come through with the miracle cure for Clark, shouldn't he be doing the same for Lois?

2 - Lois' leaves/rejects Clark and possibly marries someone else, either happily or unhappily. Obviously there is precedent for this.
But not on the show. Lois wasn't able to move on with Lex after Superman rejected her - she couldn't even have sex with Luthor, and couldn't marry him because of her love for Clark Kent.

So - what Daisymay said. smile And QoC, yes about Clark's difficulty with moving on. But, i think, in the series, Lois was presented as emotionally vulnerable as Clark. So many examples, perhaps more than of Clark - but lots for both. smile

c.

MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Interesting thread.

I guess I have problems understanding why either one need to be 'punished'. After all, the heart wants what the heart wants.

Take Lois. It was only a few episodes in before Lois seemed to recognize that Clark was a great guy. But there is a huge leap between recognizing that someone is a great guy and wanting to spend the rest of your life with him. I mean, if there wasn't, then why didn't Clark just marry Mayson Drake? After all, she was a great girl. But Clark's heart wanted Lois. Lois' heart, on the other hand, wanted Superman. Why should she be punished for that?

I guess I just don't get the whole 'punish anyone' idea? Seems odd to me.

Besides, I love both characters too much to want to see them 'punished' - especially for the rest of their lives. Not that I don't want to smack both of them upside the head on occasion laugh and not that I'm not willing to put them through a little angst along the way, but I still want that 'happily ever after' for both of them and I want them to find it with each other.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Like MLT, I find this to be an interesting thread. The thoughts and opinions expressed on these screens are quite revealing and make for excellent consideration for future stories. I, for one, will think hard about all this. Maybe one of my other ideas, currently languishing on my flash drive, will blossom into a finished story before long.

Mrs. Mosley wrote:
(*Although one example was pointed out to me: "The Road Taken" - very good story - but even in that one there was an attraction and the future was left open ended. I have hopes that Terry will write a sequel to this one eventually, even if it involves L&C *not* getting together.)
Thank you for the quick review! And there is a sequel in the works, one which (in true FOLC tradition) has already spawned another sequel where the story will really be wrapped up. [/end shameless self-plug]

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In another thread, Nancy wrote:
I am glad that she finally got a dose of her won [own] medicine!
So, is it this "Lois must be punished" idea?
As in this Nancy? As in me? It sounds very familiar, but I can’t find the quote.

I don’t think Lois should be punished, but she was incredibly mean to him in the first season. She didn’t even give Clark the courtesy of treating him like a co-worker should be treated. She treated him like a doormat. She treated him like dirt under her feet. That’s why she should get a dose of her own medicine so she knows how it feels. I had a really hard time coming to terms with the way Lois treated Clark in the first season. And I know I’m not the only one that feels that way because I’ve seen it mentioned in other threads.

I think a quote from a recent fic I read says it well:
She had taught him that a pure, deep, abiding love like his meant nothing to her. She'd enjoyed his attention; it had made her very happy most of the time. The only time it had bothered her was when she started to weaken and contemplate returning that love. She would then do something to make sure he understood his place in her world and she could go back to her teasing banter with no fears that he'd mistake her friendliness for anything more.
Now, mind you, she eventually changed, but it took her a long time, and Clark put up with a lot from her.

Is it because she wanted to be the best at her job? (but that "uppity female" argument doesn't apply in 2007, does it?)
No.

Or because she loved Superman, rather than Clark, in most of Season 1? (although on her wedding day, it was Clark she loved and so said no to Luthor)
No.

Because she didn't figure out that Clark was Superman in S1?
No.

the Mary Sue thing?
Don’t know what you mean.

Or because we believe Clark can do no wrong? He is always lovable, regardless of what he does. (what my psych text calls the 'halo' affect)
No. Clark can be pretty stupid at times. (Like the thing he did in Contact where he said he couldn’t be with her because it was dangerous.) But with that and one other exception (when he told Lois not to bother with the robe because he could see through it), he wasn’t mean to her. He didn’t treat her like a doormat. He didn’t treat her like dirt under his feet. It seems to me that I rather more see the idea that Lois can do no wrong, and she gets rewarded regardless of her very bad behavior.

~~
Maybe I've just missed the "Lois moves on fics"? And there's not this double standard in fics at all?
For me, Clark / Superman is the main character. (Don’t hit me, Ann.) As much as some people might want to deny that, that’s evidently what other people believe, too, or we might see more of those Lois moves on fics.

Yvonne evidently agrees:
I like reading about Clark - which I know is pretty narrow-minded of me, but there you go.
Perfectly said, Yvonne. I like reading about Clark, too.
~~

Exactly, Lisa. I don’t think she should be punished by remaining alone the rest of her life, but she did treat him horribly, so why should she always get the man of her dreams when she acted that way? (I’m speaking about elseworld fics.)

And sometimes we do lose the love of our lives because of stupidity, but does that mean we can’t go on to find some kind of happiness and love with another?

Come to think of it, I can't offhand think of any fics where Lois is indeed alone for life. All the separation fics I can recall (before 9am ) have Clark coming back in the end. Looks like I need to catch up on my archive reading!
There’s one that has just been posted to the archive where Clark has moved on with his life and is quite happy. Lois marries Luthor and later finds out he is scum. It leaves Lois with the knowledge that she will never have Clark / Superman because of the way she treated him. (It does leave it open as to whether she will find her own love.) Here it is: It Might Have Been... The author has told me he has no intention of writing another fic where Lois and Clark get together. I rather like to see some elseworld fics that explore these things, but I know I’m in the minority.

But Clark treated Lois pretty badly, too, at times. So why no "punish" Clark fics? And there really are none. Is it as simple as the gender thing - we still are harder on own sex than on men?
It could be that we are harder on our own sex, but when you compare it, Lois was far worse to Clark (at least in my opinion). The only two things I can think of where he treated her really badly was the, ‘Don’t bother, I can see through your gown thing’, and the ‘I can’t be with you because you might be hurt thing’.

I think part of why there are maybe no "moving on" fics is because as authors, we tend to write what we think will be enjoyed by the readers. For the most part, I don't think any of us want to see Lois or Clark "move on". We want desperately for them to end up together - one way or the other.
I like to see the occasional moving on fics. I know a lot of folks might not admit the same, but there are fics that have been written about both of them moving on and there are fics where both Lois or Clark dies prematurely, so there are folks who want to both read and write them. True, there aren’t as many about Clark dying prematurely, but there are a few. But yes, authors are driven by what their readers want. I found out very quickly that very few folks want to read a story where Lois is dead.

I think I'd be afraid of being run out of town on a rail if I wrote a fic in which Lois dumps Clark (or vice versa) in a permanent fashion and gets together with someone else.
No, I don’t think you would, DJ. The author of It Might Have Been told me that he has gotten a lot of positive feedback.

Clark probably wouldn't really be able to move on even if Lois did.
I’ve never thought that. I think he could move on. He might never again have exactly the same type of instant love that he did with Lois, but I think he could still find love. (Obviously or I wouldn't have written such a fic.)

and let's face it, most of the time, she not only didn't know whether she did or not, she did her damnedest to fight it, hide her feelings and demonstrate her appalling taste in human men.
Yes, she did.

most of the first two years of their relationship is "punish Clark", coming to a head after the Sardine appears and is not immediately shot for lowering the human average IQ.
Great way of putting it. The first two years was ‘punish Clark’.

What’s FWIW mean?

Actually, if you exclude the fact that Clark will inevitibly outlive Lois, there aren't too many of the Clark moves on type of fics either.
I think that’s true, Tank.

But then again, I'm not really into the soulmates thing, fictionally speaking or not. I don't think there's just-one-and-only-one right person for everybody.
Yes, I think just about everybody knows that I agree with this.

Clark, on the other hand, is clearly lost without Lois. So in the mind, his personality and behavior actually *beg* the question "Could he move on? Is he capable of it?"
Again, I think he’s quite capable of moving on although not easily. I think it would be pretty hard for him.

So the idea of him leaving her is a very hard concept for a FoLC to swallow.
Yes, I find the idea of leaving him a difficult concept, but I don’t find the idea difficult that he could move on if Lois was out of his life.

Yes, I find these the more likely scenarios, too.

I guess I just don't get the whole 'punish anyone' idea
Well, as I said, I’m pretty sure it’s my quote that CC used, and that’s not what I meant.

Hmm... Very interesting thread.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
Well, considering Lois' taste in men - How could she ever fall for Luthor? Or Claude? Scardino certainly would have been the best of the lot! - I don't have any trouble at all seeing her chosing someone else - at least before she knows Clark's secret. And that's not what I'd call 'moving on'.

I don't really know whether she'd move on easily, but the stress is on 'easily' here. I'm sure she'd be able to move on eventually.

The issue is different for Clark. He has eyes only for Lois, so every other relationship would fall under the category 'moving on'. Besides, Clark proves to be a hopeless romantic, and that certainly doesn't make things easier for him. But I'm sure even he could - and would - move on, unless the author gives a very good reason for him not doing so. (As in "She's" and "Time Doesn't Heal", for example.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
As in this Nancy? As in me? It sounds very familiar, but I can’t find the quote.
My apology here, Nancy. I rechecked and see that it was Sheila who wanted to give Lois "a dose of her own medicine". She didn't sign her post but ended with a quote from you with your name attached, and so... what can I say, very sloppy on my part. frown

Ah, but i see that you do agree with the quote. smile You really are hard on first season Lois! Yeah, she was far from perfect - but then neither was Clark. He gave as good as he got. That's what made the first season interesting. And remember too, that there were more times when she made it clear that she respected and cared for Clark in S1 than there were times when she was dismissive of him .

i think we have to take the whole package, the context so to speak, when we interpret Lois. She's not a one-note character.

Which brings me back to one of my initial arguments in this thread - why do some people see only the good in Clark and only the bad in Lois - the "halo effect" thing?

For example, Lois does something despicable - unethical: she steals Clark's story. That's the memory that lingers. At least, that's one example that's often mentioned in mbs discussions. But the rest of the story doesn't get mentioned - she acknowledges that what she's done is wrong, she's dismayed that she's done it (her confession to Lucy).
Then Clark gets his revenge (and notice it's *revenge* he wants here, not to forgive or understand her) - he knows she's Superman crazy, so he contrives to send her to the city dump on a wild goose chase. He sucks her in; she goes, she returns, dishevelled and storyless. So how does she react? She acknowledges his point and we see her respect for him.

or how about when he tossed her in the dumpster?
If Lois at times treated him "like dirt", he treated her like garbage. smile (not to mention the fact that he'd horned in on her story and had just succeeded in taking it from her, not to mention his use of physical violence...)

Now, we know from day 1 that he's Superman and that he loves her. But *she* knows neither of these things. He's just a new co-worker in a highly competitive industry. But we watch, smitten by the look in Clark Kent's eyes. Not to mention the memory of him in that towel [now enshrined in the nfic Hall of Fame laugh ] How dare she not love him?
But what we forget is all her small gestures - how often she touches him casually, something we don't see her doing with other co-workers.

lots of other examples, too. smile

That’s why she should get a dose of her own medicine so she knows how it feels.
But she did know how it felt - she told Superman she was in love with him, and he rejected her.

As well, Clark Kent, not unlike some folcs(?) perhaps, never had much respect, let alone sympathy for Lois's love for Superman. But that love was real to her, and it was there from the beginning. Why do we imagine that she was hurt any less over Superman's blowing hot (well luke warm smile ) and cold with her than was Clark Kent over her treatment of him? Is it again because we know what Lois did not - that Superman was not a "real" person? So therefore Lois's feelings for him couldn't be real? But they were to her.

He didn’t treat her like a doormat. He didn’t treat her like dirt under his feet.
Ah, but he did treat her feelings for Superman like that. smile

For me, Clark / Superman is the main character.
For me, there are two main characters - Lois Lane and Clark Kent. Think that was one of the main premises of LCtNAoS. smile I enjoyed the nuances which the show brought to both characters. I like reading about *both* Lois and Clark. For me, Lois Lane is not expendable, nor is she just a sidekick or another babe on his list. She is as integral to Clark Kent/Superman as he is to her.

Wow, Nancy, I'm exhausted. But I get that you really do dislike Lois Lane. Wow!

c.

MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
There may be a slightly greater number of "Clark moving on" fics, probably because of the likelihood that he'll outlive her
You really got me thinking with that comment, Caroline - which others have repeated after you - pondering, as it were, the mysteries of life laugh . And here is the way I see it.

I don't think Lois is more likely to die than Clark is or visa versa and here's why. Lois and Clark are fictional characters. So when I write about them, I become God to them. As 'God', I make the decision about who will live and who will die. And as 'God', I can kill off one just as easily as I can kill off the other.

So will Clark outlive Lois... As 'God', it's completely in my hands. So the next time someone knocks off Lois, keep in mind that I can come back and knock off Clark laugh

Hmm... after reading this thread, maybe it is time for me to write a Lois moves on story. Then again, it would break my heart to hurt either of these characters, so probably not.

ML wave (who is going to go off and contemplate her omnipotence some more laugh )

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Whew! I feel so relieved knowing it's all in your capable hands, ML laugh

Of course, you're right - we the writers are in charge, and we could kill either of them any time we wanted, assuming we wanted to make ourselves and our readers miserable. (And sometimes we do goofy ) But we're in Lois's boat - aware of our own mortality. We know that we have, at best, about a hundred years to live, and in most cases less than that. We know that we can be hurt. We can be killed. We can get sick. We know what it's like to be Lois Lane, at least in that regard.

But what Clark has is something different from that. Invulnerability. Enormously increased life span - though just how much we don't really know since canon was rather vague on that point. But it's something we won't ever experience first hand, and I think that makes it something that holds some appeal to writers as an avenue of exploration. What would it be like to outlive everyone you love? What would it be like to stay young and healthy while the woman you love ages? What would it be like to have to move on, even when you might not really want to? (I'm reading Tuck Everlasting to my kids right now, incidentally, which may be why my thoughts are rambling down this road). So if there are more Clark moving on fics, I kind of think it's because we find the idea of an invulnerable man being forced to move on somewhat more interesting than if it were someone just like us. And as you say, we're the writers and we're in charge, so if we find something interesting, we're free to pursue it smile

Sorry if this veered off-topic, Carol! I know that Clark's potentially long life-span wasn't really what you had in mind when you phrased your original question, but I *do* think it's relevant when considering Clark-moving-on fics.

Interesting topic all the way around.

Caroline

ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
rotflol , ML. That cuts to the chase. laugh

canon was rather vague on that point.
Perhaps not L & C canon, though. Time Minear, the writer of Brutal Youth, is on record as stating that he intended that episode to imply that the longevity scale was more or less balanced as a result of Clark having given up some of his 'life force'.

Sorry if this veered off-topic, Carol! I know that Clark's potentially long life-span wasn't really what you had in mind when you phrased your original question, but I *do* think it's relevant when considering Clark-moving-on fics.
Perhaps, but since that topic has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere i didn't want to address it again. As well, it's quite a separate issue, really, from the question I asked.

I'm reading Tuck Everlasting to my kids right now, incidentally, which may be why my thoughts are rambling down this road
Tough book for kids, imo. Not that they shouldn't be exposed to 'tough' smile
But, you raised some interesting points with respect to exploring the issue of longevity,, Caroline. It's really a very dark concept when you think about it. If you're interested in it, you might like Timothy Findley's novel, Pilgrim, which deals with that theme. He's one of Canada's top writers and it's a very well-written and thoughtful book. That makes it sound boring laugh , but it's definitely not!

c.

C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Perhaps not L & C canon, though. Time Minear, the writer of Brutal Youth, is on record as stating that he intended that episode to imply that the longevity scale was more or less balanced as a result of Clark having given up some of his 'life force'.
Just popping in to say that Minear saying that doesn't make it canon for me. Now, if it had been stated on the show that would be an entirely different matter, but since it wasn't and we got a very vague, wishy-washy "Nobody knows how long they've got" instead , I think Clark's lifespan is open to interpretation. smile

P.S. I love Lois, warts and all, and don't want to see her punished. To me, she's a more interesting character than Clark and I think of her as just as important as him. So there you go laugh .

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Carol said, re: Nancy:

I get that you really do dislike Lois Lane. Wow!
I don't think that conclusion's warranted at all. Nancy may not like Lois Lane as passionately as you do, Carol, but that doesn't mean she *dis*likes her. You can dislike specific behaviors without disliking the whole person.

As for Tim Minear, he also said that the "Family Hour" baby was going to grow up to be a bratty teenager within a few weeks, and I don't think any of us treat *that* as canon smile (Has anyone ever tried that story, btw, or have we all rolled our eyes and declared it too stupid to bother with?)

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wasn't there a story from one of the Fifth Season series that explored this, or a similar theme? There was a kid, I seem to remember, that grew up very quickly *and* had superpowers...

Yvonne

ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Nancy may not like Lois Lane as passionately as you do, Carol, but that doesn't mean she *dis*likes her.
Um, perhaps - but Nancy didn't state anything positive at all about Lois but only negatives so it's not an illogical conclusion to have reached. Of course, my interpretation may be wrong - only Nancy can say for sure.

"Passionately"? I'd hoped I was logical, Pam smile My apologies for sounding passionate. Not my intention. btw, I am as much a fan of Clark Kent as I am of Lois Lane. But Clark has lots of defenders here.

just popping in to say that Minear saying that doesn't make it canon for me.
No, of course not. But I think on this particular issue, there is no canon answer.
Still, it wasn't my intention, as I stated when I started this thread to include that particular issue. I was interested in why there were more 'Clark moving on and dead-Lois fics' than the reverse, set when the two were still *young*. I'd hoped to exclude the longevity issue because it's quite different and wanders away from the issue I raised.

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yvonne - I believe you are thinking of "Hypergirl" written by Crystal Wimmer and part of the Season 6 fanfiction. It's the one where Mxytsptlk (did I spell that right? Even close?) uses magic on Lois & Clark's daughter Laura to speed up her growth rate. She grows up and turns into a super-powered rebellious teenager within a few days. laugh

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Mxyztplk is spelled the usual way wink

And yeah, there was Hypergirl -- you'll note, however, that was just for one episode! And technically, it was Laura, not the Family Hour baby; we'd gotten rid of it very early in S5. Any other examples?

Carol, I just thought you'd jumped to a conclusion on inconclusive grounds. Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense, you know -- and I thought Nancy might take exception to you putting words in her mouth.

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense,
lol - very true, Pam.

So only Nancy can say for sure.

c.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I should probably keep my nose out of this, but...

Man of the year

[Linked Image]

Suppose we were to line up all the men of the world on one side, and all the women of the world on the other side, and then we asked the men and the women to fight each other. Which side would win?

Stupid question. We all know the answer. If the men just stick together, if they stay loyal to each other, they are going to beat the "women's team" every time. Because no matter how much the women are willing to support each other and sacrifice for each other, their collective strength isn't going to be enough to defeat all the men in the world.

Conclusion? Men have something to gain from sticking up for each other. By doing so, men as a group can "defeat" women as a group and force the women to service them. This doesn't mean that each and every man will force his wife, daughters etcetera to service him - but it does mean that men as a group can decree that it's natural that women should support men, and men can pass laws that declare that it is right and natural for women to attend to the needs of men.

So whether or not we are aware of it, our own society as well as all other societies all over the world teach boys to stick up for other boys and men and to side with other men against women. (Not evey individual boy is taught this, and not evey individual boy and man will do this, but most probably will, perhaps without even being fully aware of it.)

Women have so much less to gain from supporting the members of their own gender. Instead, women learn to seek protection from the dangerous world they live in by trying to gain favors from one individual man, the man they fall in love with, the man whose love they try to win for themselves, the man they want to marry, the man they ask to be their protector. This means that women often see other women as rivals. Women know that other women also fight for the love of the limited number of strong men whose ability to protect "their own woman" is so desirable. So, while men tend to stick up for other men in the battle of the sexes, women often side with men in the hopes of gaining the approval of the individual man whose favors they seek.

Conclusion? Well, when it comes to Lois and Clark, it could mean that at least some men identify with Clark's needs because they subconsciously know that a man's needs are more important than a woman's. It could also mean that some women disapprove of Lois because she seems insuffciently grateful for the attentions and favours that Clark Kent, the best potential protector in the world - not to mention the most good-looking one - so graciously bestows on her.

And that could indeed create a situation where both men and women are critical of Lois and supportive of Clark. This could make it tempting to write stories where Lois is punished for dismissing Clark, while Clark is allowed to move on and find happiness with another woman who appreciates him more than Lois did.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
we'd gotten rid of it very early in S5
Pam, I don't know why I found this so amusing, but I laughed my head off. It sounds so "underhanded". <g>

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My apology here, Nancy. I rechecked and see that it was Sheila who wanted to give Lois "a dose of her own medicine". She didn't sign her post but ended with a quote from you with your name attached, and so... what can I say, very sloppy on my part.
That’s okay. I really thought it was mine since it rather reflects some of my feelings about the first season Lois.

Ah, but i see that you do agree with the quote.
Yes, I do.

and notice it's *revenge* he wants here, not to forgive or understand her
Yeah, but after this episode, he turned into Lois’ doormat.

or how about when he tossed her in the dumpster?
Forgot about that one. Good get, Clark.

(not to mention the fact that he'd horned in on her story and had just succeeded in taking it from her, not to mention his use of physical violence...)
I don’t remember that part. Weren’t they both working on the story? Independently?

How dare she not love him?
No, I don’t think that.

As well, Clark Kent, not unlike some folcs(?) perhaps, never had much respect, let alone sympathy for Lois's love for Superman. But that love was real to her, and it was there from the beginning. Why do we imagine that she was hurt any less over Superman's blowing hot (well luke warm ) and cold with her than was Clark Kent over her treatment of him? Is it again because we know what Lois did not - that Superman was not a "real" person? So therefore Lois's feelings for him couldn't be real? But they were to her.
Oh, I do have respect of Lois’ love of Superman. And yes it was real to her. I never doubted that. I like the fics that explore Superman breaking down and giving in to Lois’ love for Superman. So I wonder why when you see those few fics where Superman gives in to her and starts a relationship with her (as Superman) that folks say he is being dishonest with her because he is not telling her he is Clark Kent? Is that any more dishonest than Clark keeping the fact from her that he is Superman? (And I’ve been writing one… shameless plug. It’s on the nfic side.)

Ah, but he did treat her feelings for Superman like that.
Yes, I suppose you are right - at least when he rejected her. He was hurting, but he shouldn’t have hurt her in return. He could have told Lois that he knew she would not love him the same if he was just a normal man instead of saying.. “Under the circumstances…”

For me, Lois Lane is not expendable, nor is she just a sidekick or another babe on his list.
I never meant to insinuate that.

But I get that you really do dislike Lois Lane.
No, I don’t dislike Lois. Really, I don’t. I disliked the first season Lois. And while I know a lot of the Folcs here are strictly LnC fans, I’m not. I like all the genres of Superman, so that’s why I say that for me, Clark is the main character. And hey, I’m not the only one that feels that way (even among the LnC fans).

Hmm... after reading this thread, maybe it is time for me to write a Lois moves on story.
I thought the same thing. I’m seeing you on the boards more now, ML, so I hope that means you are feeling better and able to sit better.

Enormously increased life span - though just how much we don't really know since canon was rather vague on that point. But it's something we won't ever experience first hand, and I think that makes it something that holds some appeal to writers as an avenue of exploration. What would it be like to outlive everyone you love?
Yes, I agree that it’s a great avenue of exploration.

That’s true, but it was still actually left up in the air what would have happened. Remember he also went on record to say they would have a kid that suddenly grew into a teenager as happened on Angel. (And god forbid that should have happened….)

Just popping in to say that Minear saying that doesn't make it canon for me.
Exactly.

I love Lois, warts and all, and don't want to see her punished.
I don’t want to see her punished either. But I do enjoy elseworld fics where something totally different happens - be it with Clark or Lois.

I don't think that conclusion's warranted at all. Nancy may not like Lois Lane as passionately as you do, Carol, but that doesn't mean she *dis*likes her. You can dislike specific behaviors without disliking the whole person.
No, I don’t dislike Lois. I disliked things that she did. I also disliked things Clark did, but not as much as I disliked the things that Lois did.

As for Tim Minear, he also said that the "Family Hour" baby was going to grow up to be a bratty teenager within a few weeks, and I don't think any of us treat *that* as canon (Has anyone ever tried that story, btw, or have we all rolled our eyes and declared it too stupid to bother with?)
I mentioned this before I read this part of your feedback. Well… I’d think it would be pretty stupid. Have you watched how cheesy it was on Angel? But there was a fic that I recently read that sort of dealt with this. It’s a short fic called Superman’s Pajamas and is available on the archive.

Um, perhaps - but Nancy didn't state anything positive at all about Lois but only negatives so it's not an illogical conclusion to have reached. Of course, my interpretation may be wrong - only Nancy can say for sure.
Well, in this particular thread I was expounding on ‘Lois getting some of her own medicine’. I’m not a Lois basher really. But when I watched the first season sometimes I just wanted to reach into the screen and strangle her. She was just so different that any Lois I had ever come across. It bugged me. It still does. Man, if I’d ever treated one of my male co-workers the way Lois treated hers, I bet I would have gotten in trouble. She did change and soften, and I would have loved to see that continue in a fifth season. I really like the Lois in the fourth season. She still had her edge, but she was kind and thoughtful and didn’t have the overpowering urge to be always be cruel. But I’ve read threads where people say that they don’t like this softer, nicer Lois. To me, that sweet Lois was the real Lois. And I thought she was more in line with Loises from other genres.

I was interested in why there were more 'Clark moving on and dead-Lois fics' than the reverse, set when the two were still *young*.
If I write one, will you read it? Will anyone?

Mxytsptlk (did I spell that right? Even close?)
Mxyzptlk

Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense, you know -- and I thought Nancy might take exception to you putting words in her mouth.
Well, I seem to be good for doing that myself…. So, no I don’t mind, but I will defend myself in again saying that I was expounding on ‘Lois getting some of her own medicine’.

Which side would win?
Why the women, of course.

Okay, Ann, what you said sounds remotely like something you said in another thread that you started and I don’t believe many folks agreed with you. Now please don’t think I’m being harsh. I don’t even know what the outcome was in that thread because quite frankly I stopped reading it.

And as you well know, Ann, we agreed to disagree on the subject of Lois (and Clark) a long time ago. wink

Instead, women learn to seek protection from the dangerous world they live in by trying to gain favors from one individual man, the man they fall in love with, the man whose love they try to win for themselves, the man they want to marry, the man they ask to be their protector.
I disagree with this. I’ve found far more acceptance and ‘protection’ from the women (both wonderful friends and family) in my life than from the men (including friends and family).

Hmmm... still an interesting thread.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I mentioned this before I read this part of your feedback. Well… I’d think it would be pretty stupid. Have you watched how cheesy it was on Angel?
Yes...that was when I lost interest in Angel for a long time and although I went back to it eventually, I never quite enjoyed it as much as before the awful Connor.

You'll have noted, of course, that Tim Minear was responsible for Connor. I guess having been cheated out of writing this story arc for LNC, he resurrected it when he went on to work on Angel. So he got his way in the end.

It's this plan that sometimes makes me glad we never got a fifth season. I don't think I could have taken this plot on my favourite show. laugh I kind of feel LNC escaped poor Angel's fate.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, Nancy, for taking the time to expand your thoughts.

if I write one, will you read it?
Honestly... no. smile As I've said before, I'm no more interested in dead-Clark, Lois moves on fics than the reverse. But I would expect all those readers who like the dead-Lois, Clark moves on fics would read it - think it's a genre preference thing.

re Ann's theory about men and women - historically, on a very broad scale, it's born out by the repressive laws in effect in most ancient, and pre-modern civilizations (so-called laugh ) For example, the UK- married women weren't legally permitted to own property until 1872, couldn't divorce their husbands for adultery (or any reason) although a man could divorce his wife for adultery. Custody of the kids, in the very unlikely case of a divorce went automatically to the husband. A woman's evidence was not accepted in a court or law, a man could legally beat his wife, etc., etc. This, of course, had a significant impact on shaping woman's behaviour over the centuries.

Since everyone's eyes are now glazing over at the history stuff...

c.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
For example, Lois does something despicable - unethical: she steals Clark's story. That's the memory that lingers. At least, that's one example that's often mentioned in mbs discussions. But the rest of the story doesn't get mentioned - she acknowledges that what she's done is wrong, she's dismayed that she's done it (her confession to Lucy).
Yes but she doesn’t acknowledge it to Clark and (presumable) to any others of her co-workers. Could you blame them for thinking her false and disrespectful?

Then Clark gets his revenge (and notice it's *revenge* he wants here, not to forgive or understand her) - he knows she's Superman crazy, so he contrives to send her to the city dump on a wild goose chase. He sucks her in; she goes, she returns, dishevelled and storyless. So how does she react? She acknowledges his point and we see her respect for him.
That wasn’t as I saw it, Lois congratulated him on out manuvering her for the story, essentially being a greater bitch then herself, But Clark of course didn’t care about the story, he just tried to show her that was goes around comes around. But that went above her head, due to her self absorption.

The thing is that Lois is a seriously flawed character, She is pleasant enough when everyone adores her and things goes her way, but she has several traits that would make her rather unpopular in the lunch room I imagine. Clark OTOH seems like the perfect son in law, handsome, pleasant, kind, committed I don’t find it strange that women would take his part(several fics have worked with this too, everyone at the Daily planet automatically assume that any discord is Lois fault.)

We know that Lois bitchiness stems from insecurity not malice, she constantly has to prove that she is the best due to bad self-confidence, if someone else gets praise she takes it as criticism of her own work. That kind of people don’t get many friends. I think part of the reason Lois treats Clark so harshly is that she is taken by his looks and charm, but don’t care to fall for him.

For me, there are two main characters - Lois Lane and Clark Kent. Think that was one of the main premises of LCtNAoS. I enjoyed the nuances which the show brought to both characters. I like reading about *both* Lois and Clark. For me, Lois Lane is not expendable, nor is she just a sidekick or another babe on his list. She is as integral to Clark Kent/Superman as he is to her.
This is how I see it too. That they have such a different outlook is what creates the dynamism between them. Lois is a very complex character, which I imagine is the reason she gets Clark’s attention. And Lois does mellow when she understand that someone loves her for who she is, not what she can do. And I agree with Nancy, Lois in the later episode was the woman she wanted to be.
At the same time Clark IS singularly unique, he is a god, she is human, to other people it’s not her own traits but superman s attention that makes her special. I’ve even see this realisation in some fic’s like in Wendy’s “Second thoughts” where she notice this herself.

You're Superman - the world needs you! Nobody needs me!" She saw him flinch, as if her words hurt him. "*I* need you," he told her, his voice husky. "*I* need you, Lois.."

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yes but she doesn’t acknowledge it to Clark and (presumable) to any others of her co-workers. Could you blame them for thinking her false and disrespectful?

..... That wasn’t as I saw it, Lois congratulated him on out manuvering her for the story,
a bit of a contradiction here, in your argument - she either acknowledges it, or not. smile Also I'm not sure viewers needed to see a literal newsroom pronouncement: "Clark I was wrong". Lois's body language at the end said it all. smile

All I'm suggesting is that we apply the same 'rules' so to speak to Lois as we do to Clark. Nothing more. If we find reasons to rationalize Clark's bad behaviour, then let's do the same for Lois. Let's be fair.

One of the things I enjoyed about the show was that neither character was portrayed as perfect. That was one of the great things about the show. That, and the humour. Notice, too, that Lois is the butt of that humour, from Perry, Jimmy, and Clark, a lot more than is Clark. Were they being cruel to her? I don't think so, but if we're to be consistent in condemning a person's snarky comments, then we have to say yes.

At the same time Clark IS singularly unique, he is a god,
I'm going to disagree with you there. smile Were he a god, he would be very boring, and I'd have stopped watching.

Lois and Clark's character flaws may have be different but they both had them. Let's not put Clark Kent on a pedestal. smile

c.

Merriwether
Merriwether
For if knowledge is power, then a GOD AM *I*!

... Sorry, wrong city. wink

I'm going to disagree with you there. Were he a god, he would be very boring, and I'd have stopped watching.

Lois and Clark's character flaws may have be different but they both had them. Let's not put Clark Kent on a pedestal.
Well, he can be a god and still be flawed. After all, look at the Greek and Roman gods with all of their flaws and petty jealousies. And heavens know that Clark is built like one. *fans self*

What was the topic again? wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Good God laugh , Karen, I never meant to suggest he wasn't a god, physically. Oh no, no. Blasphemy, heresy.

Fanning self, too. (recalling the towel scene....

but thinking Arwn didn't have that in mind laugh

c.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
a bit of a contradiction here, in your argument - she either acknowledges it, or not.
Lois acknowledge Clark’s ruthlessness in going after the story, as she put it he “won” . Which is high praise indeed. But, Clark wanted to show her how it felt to be the victim of that behaviour, something she just doesn't get. Lois still thinks that it’s OK exploit other people to get what she want.

If we find reasons to rationalize Clark's bad behaviour, then let's do the same for Lois. Let's be fair.
I’m all for that smile , I just wanted the point out that Lois personality is abrasive and just like in real life that means she will seldom get the benefit of the doubt.

I'm going to disagree with you there. Were he a god, he would be very boring, and I'd have stopped watching.
As a Karen said, Nordic or Greek mythology, shows that gods doesn’t have to be boring or perfect. My point is that Clark holds all the power, he doesn’t have to accept anything that he doesn’t like, that he use that power with utmost restraint is simply a choice of his. He could do whatever he pleases with Lois, or anyone else.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Lois still thinks that it’s OK exploit other people to get what she want.
for example? And what was Clark doing when he came on to Toni Taylor?

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
He was UNDER COVER. His cover was a sailor who had just lost his job--the coming on to Toni Taylor bit was PART OF HIS COVER.

As for the part where he threw her into a dumpster, and the part leading up to it . . .

He didn't really have much of a chance to think of what to say before Toni came into the room there. True, what he did say (blowing Lois's cover) was a major faux pas, but we all know how much trouble Clark has with thinking of excuses/cover-ups under pressure (Cheese of the Month Club, anyone?).

As for the dumpster, the bouncer was WATCHING him. He had to do something difinitive, or be suspected himself.

From what I can tell, it looks like he was perplexed by Lois's treatment of him up to that point--they were partners, after all, and she was keeping things from him.

That whole episode was a case of crossed signals.

Lois thought Clark wanted to horn in on her story and take all the credit, but Clark was confused by everything she said along those lines because that WASN'T his intention.

He wanted to work WITH her on it, even AFTER he'd screwed up and blown her cover, but she wouldn't listen and kept berating him for the mistake he'd already admitted he'd made.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Honestly... no. As I've said before, I'm no more interested in dead-Clark, Lois moves on fics than the reverse.
Good to know. Somehow I had the idea that you wanted to see one of these.

And yes, I understood Ann’s perspective from a historical standpoint, but it’s not like that so much anymore. (At least in the so called industrialized countries.)

And Lois does mellow when she understand that someone loves her for who she is, not what she can do. And I agree with Nancy, Lois in the later episode was the woman she wanted to be.
Thank you!

Also I'm not sure viewers needed to see a literal newsroom pronouncement: "Clark I was wrong". Lois's body language at the end said it all.
Well, I’d have to say that’s true. It took guts for the woman to come back to the newsroom looking like she did. Most of us would have stopped by home and cleaned up… laugh

Some folks have mentioned that Lois thought it was okay to steal others’ stories. And that does seem to be the case. But yet she was crushed because Claude did the same to her. Shouldn’t she have learned something there?

If we find reasons to rationalize Clark's bad behaviour, then let's do the same for Lois. Let's be fair.
I’m all for that , I just wanted the point out that Lois personality is abrasive and just like in real life that means she will seldom get the benefit of the doubt.
Yes, that seems fair. But Arawn is right (fair or not) - those with an abrasive personality will seldom get the benefit of the doubt.

Hmm... I'm not sure that coming on to Toni Taylor would be exploiting her. He didn't make her any false promises.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instead, women learn to seek protection from the dangerous world they live in by trying to gain favors from one individual man, the man they fall in love with, the man whose love they try to win for themselves, the man they want to marry, the man they ask to be their protector.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree with this. I’ve found far more acceptance and ‘protection’ from the women (both wonderful friends and family) in my life than from the men (including friends and family).
My point is that our current Western industrialized society has been around for just a short time, while humanity has been around for a long time. Honestly, I don't think the more primitive and subconscious parts of our brains really believe that we now live in a world where women don't have to cling to one strong male for their own protection. I think these parts of our brains keep telling us that it's dangerous for women to generally side with women against men, and that it is best for a woman's own safety to like and believe in the strongest of guys. And I believe that these parts of our brains read LnC fanfics too, and when they do they tell us that Clark can easily be forgiven for perhaps treating Lois dismissively, but Lois can't easily be forgiven for being dismissive of Clark.

But let me say for the record, too, that some aspects of first season Lois turn me off. Particularly her acceptance of Lex's proposal. "My" Lois simply wouldn't do that, which is why I don't like stories where a woman with "my" Lois's name is being punished for marrying Lex. I like it even less if a man with "my" Clark's name ends up happily married to someone else.

Ann

ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Coming back to my plea to "judge Lois" by the same standards we use for Clark.

Darcy's take on IGaCOY rationalizes everything that Clark did - it was all either reasonable or someone else's false. Thus he did very little wrong.

So to be fair to Lois: smile
Darcy wrote:
He was UNDER COVER. His cover was a sailor who had just lost his job-
True he was undercover - but it was Lois who had *been* undercover up to that point - Clark shows up later, without having told her what he was planning, let alone consulting with her about it back at the Planet. If he genuinely respected her as a colleague, he would not have acted so unilaterally.

So what is going on here when he decides to go undercover? How to interpret it? That's when our biases kick in - is Clark arrogant here? Is he horning in on Lois's story? or is it that he doubts her ability to get the story? Or does he want to protect her ? A patriarchal notion, but let's face it, Lois is trouble-prone. smile

-the coming on to Toni Taylor bit was PART OF HIS COVER.
True. His flirting with Tony, kissing her later was all part of that- it was false and so, by definition, it was exploitative.
So what matters here -how do we look at it? It was exploitive but was it 'okay'? He suspects Toni is part of the Toasters and, also he wants the bartender job. So okay to use Toni because his motivation, to bust a criminal gang, is good? Did he need to cross the line into flirtation to accomplish his goals?

(Lois, btw, was also prepared to use her "sexual wiles" as Clark once accused her of doing (or was that "teased"? ) laugh

True, what he did say (blowing Lois's cover) was a major faux pas, but we all know how much trouble Clark has with thinking of excuses/cover-ups under pressure (Cheese of the Month Club, anyone?).
'Faux pas' is a very gentle term. So adorable that Clark Kent, with his difficulty coming up with excuses. smile We could also say it was stupid and thoughtless. He screwed up, but then used his mistake to remove his so-called partner from the front lines of the story. Maybe very clever on his part after all. smile

Anyway, i could rewrite Darcy's post , "spinning" it all from Lois's point of view .

Which has been my point all along. Let's try not to be so one-sided. Clark wasn't a saint.

That whole episode was a case of crossed signals.
smile Yes, it was. smile I enjoyed it. Although not the Toni taylor bit laugh . (nor Clark's goatee!!) and throwing Lois in the dumpster was more force than was necessary. It was one of those moments of disconnect for me - he seemed to enjoy tossing her. (the other disconnect was the stalker stuff that he occasionally did)
But there was a lot of fun in the ep plus some good L & C banter - old movie, battle of the sexes, screwball comedy. smile

Nancy wrote:
Good to know. Somehow I had the idea that you wanted to see one of these.
lol - It's the reasons for the imbalance that interested me.
But death-fic and moving on fic are not for me, regardless of whether it's Lois or Clark. I stated this a couple of times earlier in the thread.

Some folks have mentioned that Lois thought it was okay to steal others’ stories. And that does seem to be the case. But yet she was crushed because Claude did the same to her. Shouldn’t she have learned something there?
When? Aside from the incident I mentioned above and about which Lois was very upset afterwards, I can't think of any. So she had learned from Claude. (or perhaps it was something she knew all along?)

I'll repeat something else I've said before in the thread - I don't think Lois was perfect, either in S1 or in any other season. Nor was Clark. And it was that imperfection that made the show interesting. S1 Lois did a couple of things in S1 that appalled me; but so did Clark, although Clark's most appalling moments would come after S1

And what do words mean? One person's "assertiveness" is another person's "abrasive" and another's "feisty". smile

And I believe that these parts of our brains read LnC fanfics too, and when they do they tell us that Clark can easily be forgiven for perhaps treating Lois dismissively, but Lois can't easily be forgiven for being dismissive of Clark.
Yes, I think you have a point there, Ann. For example, we beat up on Lois for her insensitivity in asking Clark, after he's confessed his love for her, to find Superman. Yet, we don't beat up on Clark for dismissing Lois's love for Superman, something he's known for some time. Why the difference in treatment? ( Imo, neither were at their finest in these examples:) )

Looking back over this thread, I see that a lot of posters are Lois fans as well as Clark, but they're not the majority. Most posts in this thread reflect either an indifference or a hostility to the character of Lois Lane, and aren't prepared to cut her any slack at all. I wonder if that's true for most of the people on these boards? Anyway, I fold. it's been interesting reading people's posts.

c.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boy, this reminds me of all those old 'True Defender' debates of yesteryear. goofy Any other 'old timers' remember the various splinter groups of the past? I can remember we had TDOLL (True Defenders Of Lois Lane) and TDOCK (True Defenders of Clark Kent), but there were others that my memory is hazy on.

I've never been a fan of St. Lois or St. Clark. It's the very fact that we're dealing with two flawed human beings who make mistakes which makes the characters so attractive to me.

And I've always been very fond of S1 Lois. Like Clark, I think, I see her abrasiveness and almost manic hunger for success as a wall of armour concealing a vulnerable and desperately lonely soul. So I've always been willing to cut her a lot of slack.

As for Clark, it's the fact that he's striving so hard to be 'normal' and human, despite his powers and his alien origins, that endear him to me, so the mistakes he makes I'm willing to cut him some slack on, too, for the most part. *

I don't require my heroes to be perfect. It's their mistakes and flaws which make them interesting to me.

Which is just my perspective, of course. The above isn't in response to any particular previous post or pov or because I think anyone is trying to make Lois and/or Clark perfect. smile

LabRat smile

* Except for the fire hydrant. laugh There are some mistakes I can't let slip past and I still think he deserved a good slapping for that one. wink

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It seems I owe Lois an apology.

You got the story, _and_ you took me down a peg in the process. I guess I deserved that. You worked hard an earned your success.

She does seem to admit that stealing his story was wrong, even if she doesn’t gets right out and apologize, and the “you worked hard” might not have been for him successfully pulling her legs.

CC,
for example?
Breaking and entering, bribing, sabotaging other reporters work. How about, her eagerness to get a story out of the robbery of Clarks apartment?

And what was Clark doing when he came on to Toni Taylor?
Oh I don’t blame Lois for flirting with the bad guys. But too me it seem rather systematic, like say Dr Winniger, or Clark for that matter, if it’s something in it for her. Clark also seemed to be genuinely disappointed that Taylor turned out to be a rotten egg, as if he actually cared for her, to Lois the scuzballs are just that.

If he genuinely respected her as a colleague, he would not have acted so unilaterally.
Lois didn’t want him there, he went there because he feared for her safety. That was how I interpreted blowing her cover too, by doing so she wouldn’t be exposed. So you might say that he didn’t respect her choices and judgment OTOH he does have some good reasons for that.

- he seemed to enjoy tossing her.
I saw it like that too, I think he was becoming rather exasperated, Lois simply didn’t care to cooperate with him, (not that I say she was obliged to).

One person's "assertiveness" is another person's "abrasive" and another's "feisty".
If you had Lois Lane with her primadonna airs working in your office, do you think you would like her? Do you think your co-workers would like her?

For example, we beat up on Lois for her insensitivity in asking Clark, after he's confessed his love for her, to find Superman. Yet, we don't beat up on Clark for dismissing Lois's love for Superman, something he's known for some time. Why the difference in treatment?
I see nothing similar here. I never thought Clark dismissed Lois love for superman, there are several times he gives her input on how superman might see her. And he is certainly ready to bask in her adoration when he is feeling low. It’s just that he don’t believe she cares for Clark Kent and he can’t give her Superman because it’s a role he plays.

OTOH asking a guy that just confessed his love to you to go and fetch the man of your dreams is…cruel in the extreme, I even thought it OCC, even if Lois is self absorbed she shouldn’t be that insensitive.

Nancy,

But we know that she was distraught, that she says she had never done it before and blamed her obsession with Superman for it.

Labrat,
Like Clark, I think, I see her abrasiveness and almost manic hunger for success as a wall of armour concealing a vulnerable and desperately lonely soul.
Exactly my interpretation, but most of the people around would just see her surface, It’s also why I find the gentler Lois of the last seasons a natural progression, she wasn’t lonely anymore.

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I will admit that I haven't been fully following this thread but I think that the what has to be remembered is that everyone is basing their observations on what they saw on the television series. A series we all enjoyed, but have to reallize was written by writers who often exhibited a less than perfect record in writing our main characters with a consistant personality.

The needs of the storyline often overruled what would seem logical for the character.

Over the years it appears that part of the fun of this folcdom had been coming up with 'reasonable' explainations for the inconsistant behaviors that were written into scripts for the sake of plot.

Tank (who says that, at least, this varied behavoir gives fic writers a basis in 'canon' to allow actions to fit their own stories)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The needs of the storyline often overruled what would seem logical for the character.
Absolutely. And, of course, it's not just LNC that suffered from that. It's a feature of almost every TV show out there.

Over the years it appears that part of the fun of this folcdom had been coming up with 'reasonable' explainations for the inconsistant behaviors that were written into scripts for the sake of plot.
It's that aspect from fans - of all my TV favourites, not just LNC - that I enjoy most, I have to say. Fun, indeed!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, which is why it's always seemed to me something of a fool's errand to draw conclusions from specific events or even entire episodes. wink Rather, draw back from the fine detail and take the long view - the broad impression the series leaves us with of the main characters.

Yvonne smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm... I believe I’m going to have to pull out IGaCOY and watch it again.

When? Aside from the incident I mentioned above and about which Lois was very upset afterwards, I can't think of any. So she had learned from Claude. (or perhaps it was something she knew all along?)
Well, it was mentioned that she tried to steal Clark’s story, and that’s why he sent her on the wild goose chase at the dump (or sewer plant).

* Except for the fire hydrant. There are some mistakes I can't let slip past and I still think he deserved a good slapping for that one.
The fire hydrant? You mean as in, “Look, there’s an elephant?”

If you had Lois Lane with her primadonna airs working in your office, do you think you would like her? Do you think your co-workers would like her?
Most people wouldn’t. Only those that had gotten under the surface.

For example, we beat up on Lois for her insensitivity in asking Clark, after he's confessed his love for her, to find Superman. Yet, we don't beat up on Clark for dismissing Lois's love for Superman, something he's known for some time. Why the difference in treatment?
I see nothing similar here. I never thought Clark dismissed Lois love for superman, there are several times he gives her input on how superman might see her. And he is certainly ready to bask in her adoration when he is feeling low. It’s just that he don’t believe she cares for Clark Kent and he can’t give her Superman because it’s a role he plays.
I agree.

OTOH asking a guy that just confessed his love to you to go and fetch the man of your dreams is…cruel in the extreme, I even thought it OCC, even if Lois is self absorbed she shouldn’t be that insensitive.
Yes, it is. I didn’t particularly think it was out of character for her though (but yeah, she shouldn’t have been that insensitive. - heck, she could have yelled for Superman from a rooftop.)

Like Clark, I think, I see her abrasiveness and almost manic hunger for success as a wall of armour concealing a vulnerable and desperately lonely soul.
Exactly my interpretation, but most of the people around would just see her surface, It’s also why I find the gentler Lois of the last seasons a natural progression, she wasn’t lonely anymore.
Yes, I can see that, too - at times. But did we really know that about her during strictly the first season? There were few glimpses into her softer side during that season (or at least few that I remember.)

A series we all enjoyed, but have to reallize was written by writers who often exhibited a less than perfect record in writing our main characters with a consistant personality.
That’s true, Tank.

Rather, draw back from the fine detail and take the long view - the broad impression the series leaves us with of the main characters.
Well, said, Yvonne.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I mean Superman interfering with city workers and setting off a fire hydrant just so the local kids can cool off in the heat in MoSB. mad

Stuart is a firefighter and each summer local kids setting off fire hydrants to cool themselves off are the bane of his and his colleagues' existance. It's not only anti-social, it's dangerous and puts lives at risk. It can cause water pressure to drop sharply in the immediate area, making it difficult for firefighters to do their job if there's a fire in the vicinity.

So every time I see Superman do it I want to slap him hard. Or throw something through the TV. laugh It sets my teeth on edge every time. Fire hydrants are there for firefighters to put out fires, Superman! They ARE. NOT. SHOWERS! <g>

I've been known to complain about it a time or two on this forum. goofy

LabRat smile (trying hard now to remember the elephant <g>)

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Arawn:

I LOVE that statement. I just HAD to say that. <g> And I wholeheartedly agree with you. laugh It's one of the reasons I really like season 4 I think. <shrugs> That and all the waffy love scenes. <g>

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Tank,

That is the nature of TV-series, and sure, you can hardly base a verdict on one episode alone. And people seem aware of that. Carol’s point, as I understood, it was that we judge Clark and Lois differently, anomalies or not.

Quite possible, I’m not been a Folc that long, but I’ve noticed that what is considered inconsistent differ very much between different people and sometimes when you get a an “explanation” you can honestly buy it.

For example, many people consider Lois marriage to Luthor out of her character, it never was to me, I found it a quite plausible development given the circumstances, when I explain why, several people seems to agree with me.(probably out of fear evil ) .

Or take post-contact stories, I found Clark breaking up with Lois for her own good because he couldn’t stand it if Lois got hurt, to be completely nonsensical, yet as premise it is currently en vogue, so apparently it makes sense for others.

Nancy,

But did we really know that about her during strictly the first season?
There are plenty of moments in S1 where Lois shows kindness, but she does seem to try to hide it, presumably because she believe it makes her look weak.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I mean Superman interfering with city workers and setting off a fire hydrant just so the local kids can cool off in the heat in MoSB.
Gotcha... The ‘Look, there’s an elephant’ fiasco. (That’s what he said to distract the kids while he opened the fire hydrant. It’s not in the script.)

Quite possible, I’m not been a Folc that long, but I’ve noticed that what is considered inconsistent differ very much between different people...
Yes, it is, and we all interpret the characters differently - sometimes VERY differently. Like, for instance, I can’t help but allow my love of all the genres of Superman (LnC is still my favorite) to put a spin on how I see things (much to the chagrin of a few other folks).

For example, many people consider Lois marriage to Luthor out of her character, it never was to me, I found it a quite plausible development given the circumstances, when I explain why, several people seems to agree with me.
I don’t find it out of character either. Lois had given up on love and was willing to ‘settle’ for something less.

There are plenty of moments in S1 where Lois shows kindness, but she does seem to try to hide it, presumably because she believe it makes her look weak.
Yes, I guess that’s what I getting at.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Gotcha... The ‘Look, there’s an elephant’ fiasco. (That’s what he said to distract the kids while he opened the fire hydrant. It’s not in the script.)
Aha - thank you. I guess I've tried so hard over the years to block the scene from my memory I did it quite successfully! laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
take post-contact stories, I found Clark breaking up with Lois for her own good because he couldn’t stand it if Lois got hurt, to be completely nonsensical, yet as premise it is currently en vogue, so apparently it makes sense for others.
It's not that it makes sense, it's that it's completely nonsensical -- so people keep trying to fix it smile

I don't think I've ever read a post-Contact fic which suggested that what Clark did was the right thing to do. (And I can tell ya, when the episode first played, we were all waiting in line to get ourselves kryptonite bats so we could whack some sense into him. wink )

Is it in character? Sadly, yeah, I think so. He's an idiot on a semi-regular basis, especially when it comes to obsessing and taking too much responsibility and being way too noble for his own good.

But we love him anyway.

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
(And I can tell ya, when the episode first played, we were all waiting in line to get ourselves kryptonite bats so we could whack some sense into him. [Wink]
Here, here, Pam! laugh

And this:

It's not that it makes sense, it's that it's completely nonsensical -- so people keep trying to fix it [Smile]

I don't think I've ever read a post-Contact fic which suggested that what Clark did was the right thing to do.
So true...

Is it in character? Sadly, yeah, I think so. He's an idiot on a semi-regular basis, especially when it comes to obsessing and taking too much responsibility and being way too noble for his own good.

But we love him anyway.
And I totally agree with that, too. goofy

-- DJ

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't think I've ever read a post-Contact fic which suggested that what Clark did was the right thing to do. (And I can tell ya, when the episode first played, we were all waiting in line to get ourselves kryptonite bats so we could whack some sense into him.
Of course not. Since it doesn’t make any sense. Clark isn’t simply making an error of judgment. He could just a well has said we can’t be together because there are no pink giraffes.
To me it’s a total disconnect.
So when people go after him with kryptonite bats it looks to me like they are hitting a straw man.

There are plenty of reasons I could see Clark breaking up with Lois for disturbing his emotional equlibrium, (several fic have handled this very well) but that ”he couldn’t stand it if she was hurt” isn’t one of them, at least unless he intended to purge her entirely from his life.(Which wasn’t the case)

So what would Clark say if he, as he worried, found her boiled in oil?

–What a tragedy, a good thing I broke up with her otherwise I could never have forgiven myself!?

Whether they are together or not, the risk that Lois ends up in vat of boiling oil would still be there, but of course, as a couple the risk that something like that happened would decrease dramatically.
And when it comes to her being a target for those who wanted to get to Superman that was already a reality.
I can’t see him stop looking after her in either case. And if they became a known couple it should also discourage the notion that Superman is romantically attached to Lois Lane.
Really his concern for Lois saftey is a REASON for WHY they should be together.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Some years ago, my wife and I attended a Trek con in Texas where a panel was discussing upcoming shows and movies. A number of the audience comments had focused on the fans' concern for the "continuity" of the Trek history, and it prompted one man on the panel to stand up and explain something. He said that Paramount (the owner of the Star Trek franchise) wasn't primarily concerned with character development or story continuity or anything else that Trek fans love so much. All they wanted to do was to make money. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. If they thought they could make money by making James Kirk a Bolian transvestite with a taste for Rigellian dwarfs, they'd do it.

Some of the comments in this sequence have missed out on this facet of American entertainment. The "powers that be" don't much care about the fans except where it affects TPTB's account balances. If they had believed that a new age Superman, a thin and wimpy Clark, and a lesbian drug addict Lois would grab and hold viewers, that's what we would have seen on the series. That's an extreme example, of course, but it illustrates my point.

We writers and readers of FOLCdom have the opportunity to present our characters in whatever manner we choose. If we decide to write about Lois's strengths and Clark's weaknesses, we can, and the inverse is also true. We should remember that these are fictional characters, not real people, and they'll do whatever we want them too. I seem to recall MLT making some observation about her limited deity in regards to the written word (and I, for one, thought it was funny), and that's a very good description of our function as authors.

There was a Rod Serling episode in the 70's (can't recall the name of the weekly show, after Twilight Zone but along the same lines) that showed a group of people in a diner who slowly realized that their reasons for being there and their own motivations were not only in conflict, they made no sense. They began arguing about the situation, and at that point the writer who was writing about them ending the discussion by pulling the paper from his typewriter, wadding it up, and tossing it into a trash can already full of abandoned story attempts. It was a little scary to realize that these characters on the screen were merely fictional constructs who existed only on paper and not in reality.

Maybe we should write more and gripe less.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Sorry, just one more thought.

LabRat's gripe about Clark opening the hydrant is totally justified, and I agree completely with her reasoning. However, the reason the scene was in the show was two-fold. First, it's a long-standing tradition in cities like New York and Philadelphia for civilians (who should never, NEVER do it!) to open up the hydrants to cool off the kids in the neighborhood due to the lack of air-conditioning in most of the lower-income housing areas. Besides, it gives the kids something to do so they'll be a little less likely to throw rocks through windows.

The second reason was to show Clark's concern about kids and his compassion for their plight. If I'd written the episode, I would have tried to find some other solution for the problem, but the writers apparently thought it would be cute, so there you have it.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Since it doesn’t make any sense. Clark isn’t simply making an error of judgment. He could just a well has said we can’t be together because there are no pink giraffes.
Pretty much, yeah laugh

To me it’s a total disconnect.
It's not just illogical, it's anti-logical. As a number of people have pointed out, showing that Lois was involved with Clark could only reduce the chances that she'd be used as bait for Superman.

He did that in Tempus Fugitive, too -- talking about not telling her the secret -- "it was partly for your protection." I've heard that argument many times and it's never made sense to me. :rolleyes:

So when people go after him with kryptonite bats it looks to me like they are hitting a straw man.
Um... okay, here you've lost me. help Is this the "the writers made him do it so it wasn't really his fault" defense?

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Besides, it gives the kids something to do so they'll be a little less likely to throw rocks through windows.
rotflol

I think it's simply a problem of education. I'm sure that most kids (and certainly the adults who do it) just aren't aware that it's a dangerous thing to do. They undoubtedly see it as completely harmless to set off a hydrant to cool off the kids - just bit of fun. How can spraying water around be dangerous?

As an example of that, Stuart and his colleagues are regularly verbally abused and threatened with physical violence by the parents of the kids when they turn up to turn off a spraying hydrant - for 'spoiling the kid's fun'.

Local councils and authorities need to do more to educate people in the areas where this is rife as to just what problems it can cause - to them, perhaps, if their home goes on fire and the water pressure in their area is down. And wouldn't that be ironic?

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Terry,

All they wanted to do was to make money. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. If they thought they could make money by making James Kirk a Bolian transvestite with a taste for Rigellian dwarfs, they'd do it.
Several people have made comments to this effect and I believe that it isn’t news to anyone that Hollywood producers are in it for the money, or that continuity defers to the need of the episode, it certainly isn’t to me. I still doesn’t change that I enjoy discussing my favourite TV-show, and the parts thereof.

What is that supposed to mean? Does this discussion disturb your artistic creativity? I assure you aren’t missing any good stories from me if I stopped wasting bandwith.

Pam,

Um... okay, here you've lost me. Is this the "the writers made him do it so it wasn't really his fault" defense?
Pretty much, since it doesn’t make any sense even on a superficial level, why seriously treat it as if it’s a true expression of Clark’s character?
I can understand bashing Clark for errors of judgement, but not when he is a victim of a character assassination by the script writers.
It’s like Lois apartment, sometimes it’s on the first floor sometimes on the fourth, sometimes at the top of a skyscraper, but in MY mind I think of it is a couple of floor up, I chose one mutually exclusive way to imagine how it looks. I do the same thing with the characters or the plot.

But please notice that this is my opinion, If people derive pleasure from writing post contact stories and bash Clark over his “reasoning” or want Lois live at the top of the Empire State building, have a ball. It’s canon after all. wink

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Arwen wrote:

What is that supposed to mean? Does this discussion disturb your artistic creativity? I assure you aren’t missing any good stories from me if I stopped wasting bandwith.
No, this discussion does not disturb my artistic creativity. I was merely commenting on the intensity of the opinions expressed in this thread, not the content nor the fact that many of us have differing opinions. Apparently, I didn't frame my comment clearly enough.

I have written before that if everyone on this board liked exactly the same kind of story and every writer wrote just like every other writer, this would be a boring place to visit. All I wanted to suggest was that maybe some of us are more strident in expressing our opinions than is necessary to make our points.

I was doing just as you were doing, Arwen. I was expressing my opinion. My opinion is not inherently more 'correct' than yours any more than yours is inherently more 'correct' than mine. I find the intense discussion of the minutia of Lois and Clark alternately amusing and slightly disturbing. Some come across as holding 'the right opinion' on certain subjects, and others disagree with those folks more enthusiastically than I like. That doesn't make them wrong, it simply means that I'd rather be uplifting than critical. If I have offended you with this post or with my previous post, I sincerly apologize, because that has NEVER been my intent.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
We writers and readers of FOLCdom have the opportunity to present our characters in whatever manner we choose.
Yes, we do. And we also have to right to interpret Clark and Lois as we see fit. My interpretation of Lois or Clark should not be forced to conform with anyone elses. And your (collectively you) interpretation should not be forced to conform with mine. And along the same idea, just because I like Clark more, doesn’t mean that anyone else should. And just because someone else likes Lois more, doesn’t mean that I should be forced to think about her the same way.

I seem to recall MLT making some observation about her limited deity in regards to the written word (and I, for one, thought it was funny), and that's a very good description of our function as authors.
Yes, exactly. But I’ve still seen comments from both readers and writers that take offense when Lois and Clark do something that is not ‘canon’ or is ‘out of character’. In reality, any of us who write are stretching canon (in one way you could say we are all writing an elseworld fic) and those who read it are willing to read any fanfiction are also willing, at least in some way, to tolerate that stretching of canon. And ‘character’ is, as always, a matter of interpretation to each individual.

Well said, Terry. I pretty much thought this is what you meant:
I was merely commenting on the intensity of the opinions expressed in this thread, not the content nor the fact that many of us have differing opinions.
I think it's simply a problem of education. I'm sure that most kids (and certainly the adults who do it) just aren't aware that it's a dangerous thing to do. They undoubtedly see it as completely harmless to set off a hydrant to cool off the kids - just bit of fun. How can spraying water around be dangerous?
Until you mentioned it, LabRat, I would never have thought of this as anything but cute. I've learned something.

I have written before that if everyone on this board liked exactly the same kind of story and every writer wrote just like every other writer, this would be a boring place to visit. All
Exactly!! So why do some folks get so upset if someone expresses an opposite viewpoint?

All I wanted to suggest was that maybe some of us are more strident in expressing our opinions than is necessary to make our points.
Yeah, maybe some of us do. Guilty. blush

I was doing just as you were doing, Arwan. I was expressing my opinion. My opinion is not inherently more 'correct' than yours any more than yours is inherently more 'correct' than mine. I find the intense discussion of the minutia of Lois and Clark alternately amusing and slightly disturbing. Some come across as holding 'the right opinion' on certain subjects, and others disagree with those folks more enthusiastically than I like.
I’ve found that I can say some little something and think it means nothing and it starts a firestorm.... And that totally wasn’t my intent at all.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Until you mentioned it, LabRat, I would never have thought of this as anything but cute. I've learned something.
My work here is done. laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Wow, this thread has really wandered away from the question I raised when I started the thread!

But am now realising I asked the wrong question. It should have been:
Why are there no "Superman is arrested for criminal negligence, endangerment of human life, disrespect for civic property, and vandalism in the case of the fire hydrant" fics?

That is the real question! laugh

c.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Why are there no "Superman is arrested for criminal negligence, endangerment of human life, disrespect for civic property, and vandalism in the case of the fire hydrant" fics?
Yeah, I'd read one of those. wink Especially if they slapped him really hard in the cells. goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
All I wanted to suggest was that maybe some of us are more strident in expressing our opinions than is necessary to make our points.
Really?, I can’t say have noticed this, (which, if I’m one of the strident people is to be expected, if so, I can only say I never had the intention to impose my views on anyone else).

I find the intense discussion of the minutia of Lois and Clark alternately amusing and slightly disturbing. Some come across as holding 'the right opinion' on certain subjects, and others disagree with those folks more enthusiastically than I like.
I haven’t asked my father, but I’m sure if I did, he would consider the entire fanfic phenomena disturbing and pathetic and tell us all that we have to much free time and you to get down to the gym. He would also find my discussing the minutiae of a TV show more then slightly disturbing.

The thing is that people find different things important. If people discuss something I find silly or of little value, I just ignore it, if they get something out of it, more power to them.

If I have offended you with this post or with my previous post, I sincerly apologize, because that has NEVER been my intent.
I never thought it was. I’m just curious why several people feels the need to explain that producers of tv-series are in it for the money, that Lois and Clark aren’t real people, and that continuity is expedient to the episodes need. Even if I’ve seen some of what is known as fanwanking on this thread, no-one seemed disconnected from real life.

We writers and readers of FOLCdom have the opportunity to present our characters in whatever manner we choose.
Oh certainly, and I hope you don’t feel restrained by others peoples preconceptions. But as I understand it, there are parameters for what is a L&C fic and if you deviate to much from the canon of the show it wont be accepted by the archive.

BTW, it’ s Arawn as in the lord of the underworld in Welsh mythology. Not Arwen as in the character in Tolkien’s legendarium. smile

Features Writer
Features Writer
I really admired Classicalla, MLT, Labrat and Terry's posts among others. As someone who does not own the DVDs and only rents them every now and then, but enjoys fandom, I am at times put off by the fervent deference to canon. Every time Labrat chimes in with her statement of freedom for authors, it's almost like an angelic choir for me. To say more than this would be repetitive, since I've already made clear that I'm willing to follow writers wherever they might go if the story is solid enough. And even if it isn't, it's not the premise as such that I would critique (only if the writer wanted me to explicitly), but it's execution. smile

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
as I understand it, there are parameters for what is a L&C fic and if you deviate to much from the canon of the show it wont be accepted by the archive.
I don't think it's deviation from canon that's concerning, just deviation from the show entirely. And even then, there's wide latitude in what subjects you can tackle. I remember a discussion once about whether to allow a story which was set in the comics universe & featured Superman and WonderWoman. I *think* they did allow it, though I wouldn't bet anything important on it, but it just goes to show you have to go to quite an extreme before they start judging by content.

There are somewhat tougher *rating* limits -- nothing over the American rating PG-13. But that's nothing to do with canon.

PJ
home today 'cause NC just had a whole *inch* of snow and therefore all the schools are closed goofy

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't think it's deviation from canon that's concerning, just deviation from the show entirely. And even then, there's wide latitude in what subjects you can tackle. I remember a discussion once about whether to allow a story which was set in the comics universe & featured Superman and WonderWoman. I *think* they did allow it, though I wouldn't bet anything important on it, but it just goes to show you have to go to quite an extreme before they start judging by content.
This is a very true statement - I know it first hand. <DJ bows and scrapes to the keepers of the archive and boards hail laugh )

There are somewhat tougher *rating* limits -- nothing over the American rating PG-13. But that's nothing to do with canon.
Yes, but you can always get around that (if you so desire) by going to the dark side... err... I mean, nfic side. <g>

home today 'cause NC just had a whole *inch* of snow and therefore all the schools are closed [Goofy]
Hah! Lucky you, Pam. We got ice last weekend and snow is on its way this weekend. Eeep!

-- DJ

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
He could just a well has said we can’t be together because there are no pink giraffes.
lol

Arawn, what the heck is fanwanking?

I don't think it's deviation from canon that's concerning, just deviation from the show entirely. And even then, there's wide latitude in what subjects you can tackle.
My impression has pretty much been that if you call it Elseworld, don't give Lois a kid named Jason, and don't blatantly come out and say that it is based on a different Superman, then you can write whatever you want as long as the basic characters and relationships are there. And I am so glad for that. I am here for L&C's love and their struggle to find their place in the world and with each other, no matter where they live, where they work or in some cases what planet they live on.

C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Wikipedia. It\'s a beautiful thing. wink

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
don't think it's deviation from canon that's concerning, just deviation from the show entirely. And even then, there's wide latitude in what subjects you can tackle.
Yup, that's pretty much it.

I remember a discussion once about whether to allow a story which was set in the comics universe & featured Superman and WonderWoman. I *think* they did allow it, though I wouldn't bet anything important on it, but it just goes to show you have to go to quite an extreme before they start judging by content.
Yes, you're right, we did.

IIRC, it was a short story about Superman grieving for the death of Lois and Wonder Woman coming over to comfort him.

My feeling was that while the Superman character didn't have any characteristics that would especially mark him out as the Superman of LNC, he didn't have any characteristics that marked him as not being the Superman of LNC either. laugh The author claimed it was the Superman of LNC and there was nothing to contradict him.

The presence of Wonder Woman didn't especially mark it out as a non-LNC story because, of course, it had been established on the show that Gotham City and Batman existed in LNC's world. So, if they did, why not Wonder Woman? <g>

Also, IIRC it was quite short and was focused on the two characters, so there were no background details that would tell you you were in world of the comics. Or LNC's world either.

So, I figured so long as the readers could imagine him as their Superman and there was nothing to jar them out of that, it was good to go. You're right that it was probably the most borderline story we've hosted.

Lisa more or less has it right, too. Most deviations in characterisations we'd probably put down to Elseworld.

Authors should remember that the Archive hosts stories about the characters from LOIS AND CLARK only and not just stories about any Superman and Lois and try to fit within those parameters. If, for instance, the characters were clearly those of Superman Returns or the comics with no LNC content whatsoever the story would be rejected. Using the characters of other Superman versions, in conjunction with the characters of LNC (crossover)is, of course, fine. But we would like to see a significant LNC content.

But if you're setting out to write about our Lois and our Clark, intending to write a LNC story, then you'd probably have to go off at a very large tangent to not be accepted. laugh

Oh, and just to add - we got snow today, too! dance Homer is ecstatic. <g> You just have to mention the word snow to him and he grabs for his nearest toy and goes ape. We had to laugh though - our garden is under several inches of snow and we sat there listening to the weatherman tell us there was snow in our area "but it's not settling". Oh yeah? laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't think it's deviation from canon that's concerning, just deviation from the show entirely.
Yes but what is the show in terms of fanfic? I’d say a number of canonical elements, ignore or twist enough of them and sooner or later depending on the reader, he/she wont consider it L&C fanfic anymore.

If someone writes a story about Harry Potter, reuses the plot element of the L&C pilot and wan’ts call it a L&C fanfic, it’s no skin of my nose, but I assume that that such a expression of creativity would be a hard sale to the archive administration.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes but what is the show in terms of fanfic? I’d say a number of canonical elements, ignore or twist enough of them and sooner or later depending on the reader, he/she wont consider it L&C fanfic anymore.
Yes, speaking as a reader now, I certainly agree that it's a question of degree. We are never all going to see the characters in exactly the same way, so some varation on characterisation is a given and generally accepted.

But there will undoubtedly come a point - unless the story is quite clearly an Elseworld - when I will lose interest if the author's idea of the characters deviates too far from my own. The point at which I deem them to be acting OOC. This, I am sure, holds true for most readers.

However, it's also a given that the point of OCC will vary just as much with readers as it does with authors. Although I do think that there is a majority of general concensus on what the characters should be that generally underpins things and most stories don't deviate too far from that majority concensus.

Having said that, if you're posting a story and 99% of your readers tell you that your characters are OOC for them - maybe they're on to something. wink Although, it is of course always up to the author as to whether they agree, pay attention or go their own sweet way on it. laugh

I think the Archive benefits from the fact that most of the submitted stories are posted here first. Generally speaking, if your story is acceptable for posting on the mbs (in gfic) then it'll be acceptable to the Archive. So any stories in the past which may have been borderline have probably been changed by their authors in reponse to this forum's fdk responses long before they get submitted.

At any rate, all I can say as EIC of the Archive is that in all the years that the Archive has been in operation, rejections on the grounds of non-LNC content have been very, very rare. Far less than even 1%, I'd calculate. Happens once in a blue moon. I think, generally speaking, that the majority concensus on characterisation is more usually the norm than any gross deviation. We're more together on how we see the characters than apart.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Features Writer
Features Writer
As someone who does not own the DVDs and only rents them every now and then, but enjoys fandom, I am at times put off by the fervent deference to canon.
But, actually L&C fanfic breaks - or at least tweaks - canon a lot. I'm not sure why you refer to a fervent deference to canon - our writers deviate from canon all the time. How many hundred variations do we have on their first kiss, the big revelation for Lois, first declarations of love, etc. All of those are altering canon from what we saw in the show, but almost everyone loves these variations.

And because the show was so kind as to present us with an alt-Clark, that gives people a whole other universe to play in that a lot of shows don't provide. smile

However, it's also a given that the point of OCC will vary just as much with readers as it does with authors. Although I do think that there is a majority of general concensus on what the characters should be that generally underpins things and most stories don't deviate too far from that majority concensus.
I think this is the key. Not so much that people aren't willing to deviate from canon, but that they're less willing to embrace deviation from their vision of the particular characters. Certainly there have been stories posted where I thought Clark was acting OOC, for example, yet many disagreed with me and cited examples from the show to back them up. I was not necessarily convinced, and just have to accept the fact that we each view circumstances a bit differently.

However, you can have stories - here or in any other fandom - where the main characters appear to bear so little resemblance to the show where the writer could attach just about any name to those main characters, because to most people it's no longer Lois and Clark.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Features Writer
Features Writer
I think this is the key. Not so much that people aren't willing to deviate from canon, but that they're less willing to embrace deviation from their vision of the particular characters.
But canon is regularly cited as the basis of that. That's what I'm referring to. Not simply that people see characters differently, but that they hold canon up before the whole subjective nature of it even gets stated (though to be fair someone eventually brings it up every time). And before I continue I should also make the distinction that by canon I'm referring to the question "would this happen in the series?"

I definitely was not considering rehashings of certain events as not being canon. To consider things like a first kiss or the revelation as a deviation from canon because it didn't happen exactly like in the series is defining "canon" too broadly and what space would such a definition leave for fanfic? No, I'm referring to the subjective views of characters and events which are tied down to canon for legitimacy.

And ultimately, I'm not being prescriptive and pushing for a free-for-all. We as fans obviously have limits and canon maps out these limits (even if hazily at times). That said, my own (I should disclaim) entirely subjective perception is that there is perhaps less benefit of the doubt in this fandom with respect to certain plots or at least a great deal of expressed skepticism. Because of that, it is a tribute to the excellent writing of some daring fanfics that they've managed to be read and loved despite how they walk the line between what is "canon" and what is not (be it in characterization and/or plot).

To go very briefly back on topic, I'm suprised that there aren't that many Lois moves on fics. On the fly, I'm assuming writers think of Superman's physical invincibility first before thinking of Lois' emotional hardiness. The whole "punishing" Lois though kinda disturbs me; the idea of writing a fic with punishment in mind is...curious. It conjures up this idea of a flat view of the characters, where punishment is needed because there is no reason for the wrong comitted. If a writer does the opposite, fleshing out the characters in their good and their bad qualities, why would there be a need for "punishment"? Wouldn't things just take their own logical course?

And now back to unpacking. smile

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well... if you hold a certain opinion about a character, which you are explaining/defending, and there's a scene from the show that seems to prove your point, why not use it? I think that's mostly what those things are about -- someone saying, "No, I am NOT crazy to think X because the same thing was in episode Y" (Someone will probably come back with how it was totally contradicted in episode Z, but that's the fun of it.)

Most of us aren't trying to impose our opinion on anyone, we just want to make it understandable. The best end to that is everyone saying "Okay, I see what you mean. I still don't see it that way, but I can see how you would."

That's how I see it, anyway. Personally, I think canon is a wonderful starting place, to be altered or ignored at will laugh

And I was thinking the other day about the "Lois moving on" issue -- my mother and grandmother both outlived two husbands. Women in general live longer than men, so that's very common. Women "move on" every day. Superheros, not so much. Maybe we're not so interested in the stuff we know about, but want to explore the stuff we don't know so much about.

Just a thought smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That said, my own (I should disclaim) entirely subjective perception is that there is perhaps less benefit of the doubt in this fandom with respect to certain plots or at least a great deal of expressed skepticism. Because of that, it is a tribute to the excellent writing of some daring fanfics that they've managed to be read and loved despite how they walk the line between what is "canon" and what is not (be it in characterization and/or plot).
In the past, FoLCdom has certainly been much less tolerant of fanfic outside the box or its comfort zone than most other fandoms. And that box was often a pretty small one. wink

I don't really know the reasons for that, there are probably many, but I have been delighted to see new authors over the years push the boundaries and expand that box ever more large.

Certainly many of the stories posted here in the last year or two would have been met with furious debate, complaints and even flame wars in the past. It's liberating that that's no longer the case and that stories are allowed to push the envelope, be a little daring or experimental, with more acceptance and tolerance, or at the very least a willingness to follow along with the author and go along for the ride.

We're not all the way into complete tolerance (I suspect there are still subjects and situations which are the norm to write about in other fandoms which would still meet with resistance here - slash for example I can't ever see getting rave reviews in FoLCdom <G>), but we've come a long way, baby. laugh Stories that a few years back were controversial would barely raise the flicker of an eyebrow if posted now.

And it's wonderful to see it happen. thumbsup

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My impression has pretty much been that if you call it Elseworld, don't give Lois a kid named Jason, and don't blatantly come out and say that it is based on a different Superman, then you can write whatever you want as long as the basic characters and relationships are there.
Oh, boy... I wonder if anyone ever gave Lois a kid named Jason before SR came out? I remember a lot of Jons, CJs, and Laras, or some play on Martha's name, but no Jasons.

Ah, and the wiki answer... Hmm... Kind of like folks trying to read more into the Beatle's Strawberry Fields and other songs, when they were probably meant to be nothing more than nonsense...

Homer is ecstatic. <g> You just have to mention the word snow to him and he grabs for his nearest toy and goes ape.
Aw, that's just so cute.

I’d say a number of canonical elements, ignore or twist enough of them and sooner or later depending on the reader, he/she wont consider it L&C fanfic anymore.
I think that depends on the reader, Arawn. Some people won't tolerate little deviances. Some will tolerate huge deviances.

If someone writes a story about Harry Potter, reuses the plot element of the L&C pilot and wan’ts call it a L&C fanfic, it’s no skin of my nose, but I assume that that such a expression of creativity would be a hard sale to the archive administration.
Somebody tried something similar on Zoom's board. The story was yanked and my understanding is that the original author was pretty miffed. (Thank goodness no one made any money because of the plagiarized story.)

We are never all going to see the characters in exactly the same way, so some varation on characterisation is a given and generally accepted.
Thank you, LabRat!

Interesting point about OOC. I can see a character doing one thing OOC because we all sometimes do things and wonder what the heck we were thinking because normally we would never have done that. But if everything is OOC then I won't read the story.

I think, generally speaking, that the majority concensus on characterisation is more usually the norm than any gross deviation. We're more together on how we see the characters than apart.
Yes, LabRat, I think you're right!!

I think, generally speaking, that the majority concensus on characterisation is more usually the norm than any gross deviation. We're more together on how we see the characters than apart.
You said it better than I did, Kathy!

The whole "punishing" Lois though kinda disturbs me; the idea of writing a fic with punishment in mind is...curious.
Are there really a lot of writers that do that? I can only think of one story that might have had that in mind. I know writers have been accused of that, but how many have actually done that with that very intent?

Most of us aren't trying to impose our opinion on anyone, we just want to make it understandable. The best end to that is everyone saying "Okay, I see what you mean. I still don't see it that way, but I can see how you would."
Well said, Pam.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Labrat,
In the past, FoLCdom has certainly been much less tolerant of fanfic outside the box or its comfort zone than most other fandoms. And that box was often a pretty small one.

I don't really know the reasons for that, there are probably many, but I have been delighted to see new authors over the years push the boundaries and expand that box ever more large.
What I have seen mentioned when this subject comes up is that L&C has a very defined canonical map,
In most series the ship continuously hinge on the cusp to keep the tension alive giving fans greater opportunity to interpret things as they will.
L&C goes all the way and their love is the fulcrum which everything else turns, Those who want to turn that on it’s head aren’t likely to have been attracted to the show in the first place.
And I believe that is why there is so little controversy in the community no shipwars etc. I can understand those who find this conformism stifling though, I’m actually amazed with myself that I can still find enjoyment in a love story that I’ve read a thousand variants of. goofy

Nancy,

I’d say a number of canonical elements, ignore or twist enough of them and sooner or later depending on the reader, he/she wont consider it L&C fanfic anymore.
I think that depends on the reader, Arawn. Some people won't tolerate little deviances. Some will tolerate huge deviances.
Hmm, I thought that was exactly what I said.

Somebody tried something similar on Zoom's board. The story was yanked and my understanding is that the original author was pretty miffed. (Thank goodness no one made any money because of the plagiarized story.)
I tried illustrating what happens when you keep the canonical element to the minimum. Plot is an extremely generic concept.
If you simply use that, I expect the consensus would be that your work are not derivate enough for it be called a LnC fanfic.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Interesting point about OOC. I can see a character doing one thing OOC because we all sometimes do things and wonder what the heck we were thinking because normally we would never have done that. But if everything is OOC then I won't read the story.
Ah, I should clarify my earlier comment on this. I think there's a difference between having a character do something OOC - let's say, just for example, having Clark blackmail someone for cash - and having them do something OOC with justification.

I've said previously in the past on other posts that I am a HUGE believer in the fact that you can make your characters do anything, absolutely anything, even something that would normally seem completely abhorant to their character, so long as you provide the motivation for it.

So if an author sets up the action properly, takes time to show me why Clark would blackmail someone, then I'll be happy to go along with it. But if an author just has Clark blackmailing someone without showing me how he got to that decision, what his intentions are, and how he justifies it, then I'm probably not going to buy it and just get annoyed at the character rape.

A good example from the show is probably having Clark breaking into and robbing the jewellery store in ATAI. On the face of it, without expanation or set up, a completely OOC thing for him to do. Something you can't ever imagine him doing. But add in the setup that his parents are being held hostage and threatened with death unless he does...and you can understand his motivation and why he did it. So, it works. (Although I'm pretty sure there are several authors who could find an alternative method for him to rescue Martha and Jonathan without him having to commit a robbery. But, hey, that wasn't what was required for the episode plot and the scriptwriters of ATAI took a different route.)

As you say, Nancy, sometimes people just act OOC. It happens in real life, so there's no reason why it shouldn't happen to our favourite characters. But there's usually a reason for it that seems logical to the person or character at the time, even if the rest of the world can't understand what is motivating them and even if they subsequently change their minds and realise they were acting loony tunes. laugh

So, authors, show me the reason why a character is acting OOC in any given situation and I'll probably go along with the premise quite happily. But I usually do need to know what prompted such unusual or irrational behaviour for it to work for me.

And I believe that is why there is so little controversy in the community no shipwars etc. I can understand those who find this conformism stifling though, I’m actually amazed with myself that I can still find enjoyment in a love story that I’ve read a thousand variants of.
You're right that ship has never been a point of contention in FoLCdom, Arawn. The flame wars and 'intense debates' laugh have usually been about elements of fanfic. For example, there was a time - as I've mentioned previously elsewhere and in the past - where to even mention the word nfic, let alone recommend or discuss nfic stories, was liable to spark off flames. There was a time when a section of FoLCdom virulently objected to angst as a genre. That one provoked many a bitter debate for a time.

And, of course, to someone like myself, who wrote fanfic for some decades before doing so for LNC and so was used to such genres being written and talked about as the norm in other fandoms, where they never provoked even the thought of controversy, that was somewhat restrictive. (Although, as you may have noticed by now, it never stopped me (or several other authors) writing nfic or angst. goofy )

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard