Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153624 01/08/07 08:13 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
ok.
Im thinking of writing an adaptation of a novel i read about witnes protection...

I have a querie though...
As L&C are professionals, when moving and establishing new identities etc., they would probably want to continue working in a professional environment...

ie. continue working in some sort of literary field, writing, or teaching, etc.

but in these careers one needs to bring along resumes/CVs, how would one do this with references etc. if on the winess protection program?

The book I read was about an accoutant, who got some phoney references from Mi5 (the main character being brittish). But I am unsure how this would work with the American system, and am having trouble sorting out how L&C could re-establish themselves without any references...

The references being the key point, as in the more intelectual careers references are a necessity, as oposed to trades like plumbing, where skills are important... if they were to change careers into teaching etc they would ned references...

ALSO
what is the more usual term in the states...
Resume
or
Curriculum Vitae (C.V) help confused

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#153625 01/09/07 02:22 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
We usually use "resume" not CV. Heck, I didn't even know what a CV *was* until I started hanging around with Dr. Wendy Richards laugh

As for the content, I imagine the FBI would make something up & have someone in place to verify the fake reference. Or perhaps I'm overestimating their competence.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#153626 01/09/07 04:47 AM
Kerth
Kerth
My mom uses CV, but she was in academics, knows Latin, and is one of the top people in her profession. The rest of us huddled masses use resume.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
#153627 01/09/07 06:02 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
thanks,
now I understand my own confusion re: the cv vs. resume argument.

As a scientist most jobs i look into ask for CV's but I also have heard heaps of people ask for resumes... etc.

OK
so FBI makes up fake ones for witnesses... I'll your word for it and just run with that for my story...

I guess it does't matter too much

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#153628 01/10/07 03:20 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Taken from How Stuff Works

Following the acceptance of a witness into the program, the Marshals Service is tasked with creating a new identity and finding a new city for the witness, his family and any endangered associates. This requires the coordination of multiple government agencies, good timing and total secrecy.
As far as choosing a new name, witnesses can have their pick. However, according to the book WITSEC: Inside the Federal Witness Protection Program, co-written by the program's creator, Gerald Shur, witnesses are advised to keep their current initials or same first name. Name changes are done by the court system just like any name change, but the records are sealed.
Neither that site nor the US Marshall\'s site give any information on creating a background trail, though.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#153629 01/10/07 03:22 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I would imagine that you would be pressed not to stay in your same career especially a high profile career. There is too much risk of running into past acquaintenaces and the word of your new location getting out. To quote one of my favorite shows -Law & Order SVU when they "killed" off DA Alexander Cabot she was moved to the midwest from New York and became an insurance adjustor.

I guess if they were moved to a really small town maybe they could stay reporters but I would not imagine that they would be moved to another big city and allowed to follow the same career. Of course this is just my opinion but it would make since. If I was looking for a big time reporter I would look at other newspapers when they disappeared.

#153630 01/18/07 07:20 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I'd be very careful about writing an adaptation of a novel. The author might not appreciate it and you could get in trouble (as well as the boards). Somebody did something similar on Zoom's boards and it caused a LOT of problems. I wouldn't do it. An idea from a novel is one thing.. an adaptation is something entirely different.

But I'd think that any job references would just go to the agency providing the protection. And wouldn't the agency set them up anyway? I'd say resume is the most common term. But CV is used also - especially in academia.

We usually use "resume" not CV. Heck, I didn't even know what a CV *was* until I started hanging around with Dr. Wendy Richards
What's Wendy's doctorate in?

I would imagine that you would be pressed not to stay in your same career especially a high profile career.
I agree. I wouldn't think it would be allowed at all.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard