Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bakasi Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi! This might be a German problem and maybe we're just all galactically stupid, but when it comes to dialogues I clearly remember that I lack words ( in my own language that is, I better not talk about the gray hairs this has caused me in English wink )

Getting to the point...

Would anybody, apart fom me be interested in a list of words that can be used to describe speech?

I start with it and maybe other people can come up with other brilliant ideas smile

Normal way of saying something

- to say
- to add
- to mutter
- to mumble
- to retort
- to utter

Question:

- to ask
- to inquire
- to want to know

Loud way of saying something:

- to shout
- to yell

That is as much as I can think of, now. Any takers?

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Hey,

here are some more that I can think of:

to reply
to mean
to answer
to remark
to observe
to comment
to state
to call
to respond
to return

I hope this helps. smile

"It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (Albus Dumbledore, CoS)
bakasi Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks Pennyfeather. But I think we have to remove to mean. That's a Germanism. As far as i know you can't use it in this context.

to scream
to whisper

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Top Banana
Top Banana
My 10th grade (age 15) English teacher once gave us all a list of synonyms/alternatives for the word "said." I'll see if I can dig it up.

Eureka! Pay dirt!

Here goes (all this is in past tense, since that's what stories are usually written in):

acknowledged
added
admitted
advised
affirmed
agreed
announced
answered
argued
asserted
assured
avowed
bellowed
blurted
bragged
cautioned
challenged
claimed
conceded
concluded
confessed
continued
corrected
cried
decided
declared
demanded
denied
disclosed
divulged
emphasized
estimated
explained
gasped
growled
grunted
hinted
insisted
interjected
interrupted
joked
lied
maintained
mentioned
mumbled
murmured
offered
ordered
panted
plead
pointed out
prayed
proclaimed
promised
proposed
protested
quipped
ranted
related
reminded
repeated
replied
reported
revealed
shouted
sighed
speculated
stated
stipulated
theorized
threatened
uttered
volunteered
warned
whimpered
whispered
wondered
yelled

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
whispered
grumbled
gasped
laughed
chuckled
giggled

questioned
ranted

exclaimed
bellowed

A good way to find an alternative to "say" or "ask" (or "shout") is to go to Thesaurus.com and type in "say" or "ask" or "shout" - you'll get lots and lots of choices.

Just for "say" you get:
add, affirm, allege, announce, answer, assert, break silence*, claim, communicate, conjecture, convey, declare, deliver, disclose, divulge, do, estimate, express, flap*, gab*, give voice*, guess, imagine, imply, jaw, judge, lip*, maintain, make known, mention, opine, orate, perform, pronounce, put forth, rap*, read, recite, rehearse, relate, remark, render, repeat, reply, report, respond, reveal, rumor, speak, spiel*, state, suggest, tell, utter, verbalize, voice, yak*

The ones in italics either don't work for active speech, or are awkward to phrase - ie,

"Maybe it's Lex Luthor," Clark conjectured.
"Hey, what if it's that Asabi guy?" Jimmy put forth.
"No, wait - here it is in this fax - it's Mindy Church," Lois read.

These all sound kind of awkward or contrived (to me, anyway). The rest, though, all work okay, depending on what your characters are saying.

And that's just the first entry, for "say." Under that entry, there's "add" with it's synonyms, a few of which would work quite well, then "answer" and "articulate" (and so on), with quite a few more synonyms that would work.

I use Thesaurus.com a lot, when I'm trying to avoid too much repetition - so much so that it's listed as one of my main references in the author's notes at the end of my current story.
goofy

'Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Kerth
Kerth
The problem with using lots of different words to avoid the word "said" is that eventually it starts sounding worst than using the word.

I prefer to use "said" and "asked", unless there's a good reason not to, but use them sparingly. For example, here's a conversation between a couple of characters in a Doctor Who story I wrote recently. For various reasons this particular story was in the present tense so "says" rather than "said" and "asks" rather than "asked", but I think it makes the point reasonably well:
"So what does your mum want for Christmas?" asks Mickey.

"Mmmmm?" (I don't identify the character talking here - Rose - because earlier text has established that Mickey and Rose are the only people in the conversation)

"Your mum? Christmas?" (it's obvious from context that this is Mickey talking, so I don't need to say so)

"Christ knows," says Rose. "You've left it a bit late, haven't you? Not a box of Black Magic and a Barry Manilow CD these days. Too down-market for her." (Here I use 'says Rose' simply as a place marker - every now and again I put one in so that the reader doesn't lose track)

"So what, then?"

"I don't know... Belgian chocolates, maybe? Marks and Sparks used to do a good selection in our world, I haven't checked here. A potted plant? Something for the dog?" Outside there's the lights of an airship in the sky, probably inbound to London City moorings. (mentioning what Rose sees - she's the viewpoint character - is another way of reminding the reader that she's the person talking. It also reminds the reader that this is set in an alternative world that has lots of airships)

"What are you getting her?" asks Mickey. (another place marker)

"Haven't decided yet. It'll be something girly, so don't worry. Perfume or a nightie or something."

"Jackie in a nightie. Now that's a scary thought... What are you staring at?"

"Girl over there," says Rose, nodding towards the corner where they're sitting. "The tall slender brunette, the one that looks like she should be a model." (another place marker combined with description of the character's actions)

"What about her?" says Mickey, ogling the girls. (I name Mickey again, but mainly because I want to describe his behaviour, and it's easiest to do so by adding something to the 'says Mickey' marker)

"Recognise her?"

"Nope. Should I?"

"I'm pretty sure I met her, back in the old world."

"So?" says Mickey. "Lots of duplicates around. I had a double for a while."

"I'm pretty sure I met her when I was with the Doctor."
So in 16 lines of dialogue I've used "asks" twice and "says" six times, at least a couple more times than it was really needed. If they're used that sparingly they aren't obtrusive.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
OT - Marcus, where do you post your Doctor Who fic? I didn't know you wrote in that fandom - I do too, and I don't remember seeing that story posted anywhere I frequent.

The main Who archive, if you don't know it, is A Teaspoon and an Open Mind , and I post just about all my DW fic there, as well as on some LiveJournal communities and my own DW site.

(And Jackie in a nightie - definitely scary goofy We know Nine thought so the first time he saw her lol )

Anyway... back on topic. I agree: using too many synonyms for say/said can detract from the story by dragging the reader's attention to your speech tags rtaher than the story itself. Using 'beats' - actions, as Marcus did in his example - is a good way to avoid speech tags altogether.

And in any case, a couple of the words on that list aren't speech tags at all, because they're not synonyms for active speaking - such as 'sighed', 'read' and 'laughed'. You may do these things together with speaking, but they don't actually imply speaking. 'Blurted', also, is incorrect on its own; it needs to be 'blurted out'.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Wendymr:
OT - Marcus, where do you post your Doctor Who fic? I didn't know you wrote in that fandom - I do too, and I don't remember seeing that story posted anywhere I frequent.

The main Who archive, if you don't know it, is A Teaspoon and an Open Mind , and I post just about all my DW fic there, as well as on some LiveJournal communities and my own DW site.

(And Jackie in a nightie - definitely scary goofy We know Nine thought so the first time he saw her lol )
I've written two Dr. Who stories, they're both Buffyverse crossovers, posted to several sites including A Teaspoon and an Open Mind . The second one is the one I've quoted, but you really need to read the first for it to make sense. Also, they're set in a slightly AU Buffyverse future history I first wrote about some time ago, the easy way to get into them is to follow this link which takes you to an introduction and explains what it's all about.

Originally posted by Wendymr:
Anyway... back on topic. I agree: using too many synonyms for say/said can detract from the story by dragging the reader's attention to your speech tags rtaher than the story itself. Using 'beats' - actions, as Marcus did in his example - is a good way to avoid speech tags altogether.
I knew that there was a technical term for doing this, but I couldn't remember it.

There's a lovely essay on said-avoidance by the SF author James Blish, writing as William Atheling, giving some horrendous examples he'd found in stories. It isn't on line, it's in one of several books of criticism he wrote, I think The Issue At Hand or More Issues At Hand; they're both now pretty rare, but larger libraries may have them. The examples he gives include "He tinned," a verb that is normally only applied to soldering but was apparently used to describe the speech of a robot...

Marcus L. Rowland
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, I have no objection to using the words "said," "asked," or "yelled." I just think it's nice to have a little variety now and then.

I mix up my dialogue like you do, Marcus (also including actions or just not having tags at all in between), only instead of using "says" (or said) six times and "asks" (asked) twice when I'd put them, I might use "asked" once, "said" twice, plus a "queried," a couple of "reiterateds," and maybe even an "intoned." Or whatever speech verb I think fits the best--because sometimes, "said" just DOESN'T FIT into the context of the sentence--or the conversation. And sometimes, the simple "said," "asked," or "yelled" is the ONLY word that will fit.

In other words:

It's important not to be afraid to use "said," yes.

But it's also important not to bore the readers to death (or to let your story get stilted from lack of variety in the prose) with the same exact speech verbs whenever a speech verb is called for.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aha! Found you on the Teaspoon now, Marcus. I know why I never noticed your fic before - I generally avoid crossovers wink Usually it's because I'm not a fan of the crossed series, and that's the case here. I never watched Buffy, nor had any interest in watching it. But I did read your two fics, and left you a review smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kerth
Kerth
How about...
barked
hissed
stammered
stuttered
wailed
whined

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by DSDragon:
It's important not to be afraid to use "said," yes.

But it's also important not to bore the readers to death (or to let your story get stilted from lack of variety in the prose) with the same exact speech verbs whenever a speech verb is called for.
I have nothing against using another word than "said" occasionally, or if the situation demands it ("he whispered" etc.), I just don't see much point in going out of my way to do so if there's no need, and I really feel that doing so too often can be annoying, to the point where I've occasionally stopped reading stories that do it to excess.

Marcus L. Rowland
Kerth
Kerth
By an odd coincidence I've just started converting a 1904 book called D'Ordel's Pantechnicon into an e-text. I say an odd coincidence because the Pantechnicon is a satire on magazine publishing of the period, and it turns out that one of the things in it is a "printer's dictionary of serial adventure phrases," set out as a sort of flow chart of alternative words. Needless to say this includes a list of 66 alternatives to "said" and "asked..."

I've not reached that point in the OCR yet, but as soon as I have it on line I'll post a link. Maybe I should add that the sample story written using this method is DREADFUL!

Marcus L. Rowland

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard