Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153489 12/21/06 10:19 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I've been looking through the notes and first draft for The Washington Beat and think I may have an idea for a sequel, if someone can give me a little information.

Briefly, what is involved in making a request for information under the US version of the Freedom of Information Act?

- do you have to make one request for each department you're interested in, or one request covering several departments?
- what sort of paperwork is required?
- is there a fee?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Well, my knowledge is a bit rusty, as it's been a few years since I took Journalism 101. goofy I'm not sure about requests for each department; I guess it would depend on how large the place is and the likelihood of your request(s) getting lost in the paperwork shuffle. For paperwork, usually just a formal letter requesting what you want is sufficient, though some places might have forms they would require you to fill out. Our journalism teacher suggested we include in our request letters the statute or law that involves the Freedom of Information Act. Here's part of a sample template letter she gave us (I can't take credit for it):

Your name,
address,
contact info

TO: Person youโ€™re sending request to,
address,
other contact info.

RE: Public records request

I hereby request under ARS 39-121 through 39-121.03, the Arizona Public
Records Law, a copy or access to your agency's information on:
It's agasint the law for agencies to charge you for the information; however, they are allowed to charge you for the cost of the paper they use in printing/copying your request. :rolleyes:

It's good to find out who is the person/department in charge of fulfilling public records requests at whatever agency you're requesting from. Also, it's good to be as specific as possible with your request. Both will help expedite your request.

Hope this helped more than mucked things up. I'm sure others will come by with more thorough information.

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
๐Ÿ†2024 Kerth Award Posts ๐Ÿ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard