Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Merriwether
Merriwether
I like how there is a Krypton gas. I wonder if that element was somewhat common on Krypton.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hmmm... Kryptonite, with a capital 'K', looks right to me. But maybe that's just because I've read so many comics? Naaaahhh... because everything is capitalized in the comics, as lowercase letters aren't used there. Oh, but I've read a few books based on the Superman comics, and Kryptonite was capitalized there. So I'll stick with the capital 'K', I think, and I hope Nancy (and others) won't mind! wink

Ann

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Nah, I don't mind. I was just going on the principal that other elements weren't capitalized...

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
According to wikipedia...
Kryptonite

Kryptonite, when it is in the middle of a paragraph, is spelled 'kryptonite' or at least that is how they treated it.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by Classicalla:
It is somewhat common to capitalize the abbreviations - ie: Na for sodium, K for potassium, Ca for calcium, etc.
Not "somewhat common." Incorrect otherwise. (Ask my former chemistry and general science students about losing points for getting it wrong. goofy ) Element abbreviations are always either a single capital letter (O, N, C, H) or a capital letter followed by a lowercase letter (Cl, Sn, Au, Br). Element names are not supposed to be capitalized (unless they are the first word of the sentence).

As for colors, all pure sodium is silverish (as are most metals). And pure copper isn't green; the green patina is actually a copper compound called bronchanite .

It is actually relatively uncommon for a pure element to come in different colors. There are a few. Phosphorus , which comes in white, red, and black is one of them. We don't capitalize "red phosphorus," though (or the other colors either).

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
T
Blogger
Blogger
T
Carbon is another coming in black (coke) a silvery grey-black (graphite) and transparent (diamonds)

If I had to make a guess, any time a pure element can take on more than one crystaline or amorphous configuration that's going to change its appearance and probably color, possibly substantially.

and since I'm chattering about pure element colors: much to the surprise of many scientists who assumed that pure oxygen would be completely transparent: it actually has a pale blue tinge in liquid form.

The green patina copper takes on is often reffered to as verdigris. (Still considered a french word and hence italicized rather than a loaner word that wouldn't be. gotta love English.)

Merriwether
Merriwether
Coal and graphite are actually the same form of carbon. Light reflects differently off chunks v. small pieces, basically. (There is a third form of carbon, buckminsterfullerene, but it doesn't actually look very different from powdered graphite to the naked eye.)

If I had to make a guess, any time a pure element can take on more than one crystalline or amorphous configuration that's going to change its appearance and probably color, possibly substantially.
Absolutely. And that's exactly the case with carbon and phosphorus and a few others (like oxygen and sulfur). But most pure elements don't have multiple forms (aka allotropes ).

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard