Chaos Revisited

Part 9

In Metropolis, Superman destroyed the first of the Sentinels with his heat vision, but the other two still posed a threat. He dodged their kryptonite beams with lightning speed. The robots fired more rapidly, but they weren't able to keep up with him. He focused on their laser cannons and froze them with his breath. Then he blasted the weapons with his heat vision. Bits of plastic and metal rained down as they exploded.

The Sentinels sluggishly moved forward and launched a pair of rockets each. Superman caught each one in mid air, and then hurled them far into the sky. The rockets exploded.

"Come on," Superman said. "Surely you must realize that without kryptonite, you can't possibly hope to beat me."

The robots ignored him and let loose with plasma cannons. As searing heat tore through the air, Superman flew around the robots and blasted them with his heat vision. Finally, both of the robots exploded. Superman quickly doused the flames with his freezing breath so they wouldn't damage any nearby buildings.

Back in New York, Wolverine slashed through the nearest Sentinel with his adamantium claws. Wires dangled from the robot's leg. Meanwhile, ominous thunderclouds gathered in the sky as Storm summoned them. Most of the normal humans were running away. Frantic parents tried to find their kids, hoping that the Sentinels wouldn't target them.

Spider-Man leapt and dodged laser cannon blasts as one of the robots fired at him. Avoiding the weapons fire was his main concern. Suddenly, the automatic camera he'd webbed into one of the trees nearby went off. He'd completely forgotten about it. Well, at least he'd have a decent picture or two to bring back if he survived.

Bobby had transformed into Iceman and was hurling javelins at one of the Sentinels. Rogue was punching another. Storm's lightning bolts damaged the fourth robot. Cyclops fired crimson energy blasts at the one Spidey was fighting.

"You look like you could use a hand," Scott Summers remarked.

"Yeah, I could use a few extra hands. Never mind, forget I said that. With my luck, I'd end up with eight arms like Doc Ock or something."

Spider-Man catapulted over the laser fire and landed on the Sentinel's arm. He smashed its head with his fist. Simultaneously, Cyclops' laser fire struck its torso. The robot began to explode. Spidey jumped into the air, did a back flip, and landed in a crouch beside Cyclops.

"Thanks," he said.

"No problem," Scott replied.

A well-placed hit from one of Storm's lightning bolts blew up her opponent next. Bobby looked like he needed help. While the robot shot plasma at him, he narrowly avoided being hit by one of the bursts.

Wolverine clambered up one of his opponent's legs and punched through its torso with his claws. White hot sparks flew everywhere. The Sentinel's destruction was imminent. Logan leapt off just as the robot fell to the ground with an enormous thud. He caught sight of Scott and Spider-Man running towards him.

"Hey kid," Logan said to Spidey. "Way to go, Bub."

Surprised, Spider-Man nodded.

Iceman reached out to touch the Sentinel. In less than a minute, the robot was encased entirely in ice. Bobby ran as Storm blasted it several times with lightning. When the Sentinel detonated, chunks of ice flew everywhere. Luckily, nobody was hit.

Rogue got in one last powerful punch at her target, smashing through the protective plating that covered the robot's head. "Take that," she exclaimed. The Sentinel shorted out and blew up soon afterward.

"What about the other Sentinels?" Spider-Man asked. "We're going to have to go after them too, aren't we?"

Cyclops and Wolverine exchanged glances. Someone in the parking lot was listening to the news on the radio in his car, and had the volume turned up loudly. Now that the Sentinels had been destroyed, they could actually hear the radio.

"This just in: Word has it that various mutants, including Spider-Man, have attacked the Sentinels in Central Park. Five of them have been destroyed. The Fantastic Four and the Avengers are dealing with six of the seven remaining Sentinels. The final one is heading straight for the Daily Bugle building. We urge everyone in the vicinity, mutants and non-mutants alike, to take cover if you haven't already."

"Crap," Peter muttered. "I think this is my exit cue."

Logan nodded. "Take care of yourself, kid."

"Sure thing. And I'm not a kid."

Wolverine snorted in reply.

Peter quickly climbed up a nearby tree and retrieved his camera. Flying was the only way he'd be able to catch up to the robot now. Using his mutant powers to save the day again was what he had been hoping to avoid. If he flew fast enough, maybe everyone would mistake him for Superman.

Please, don't let me be too late, Peter thought.

J. Jonah Jameson was shouting as usual in the Daily Bugle's bullpen. He realized the potential for panic and took control of the situation. "Everyone, go down to the basement. That includes you, Brant."

Betty looked up. She was still on the phone with her mother. "I gotta go, Mom. Yes, I love you too."

She got up from her chair and grabbed her cell phone and purse, just as the Sentinel's laser blast shattered the window. Shards of glass flew everywhere. Most people nearby screamed. Spider-Man landed on the Daily Bugle's outside wall, but no one noticed.

"Hey, tin can. That's right, I'm lookin' at you. Over here!" The wall crawler waved his arms, hoping to distract it.

"Two mutant targets sighted," the robot said. "They will be destroyed."

Betty's eyes widened. "I thought Spider-Man said he wasn't a mutant in the past."

"He probably lied," Jonah answered. "Everyone who isn't in the basement in the next five minutes will be fired!"

The threat was enough to make her run.

I really hope that doesn't include me, Peter thought, slightly amused. Because I'm going to have to distract this thing long enough for everyone else to get to safety. J.J., why aren't you going with them?

"This is my ship," he answered gruffly. "I'm the captain, and I'll go down with it if I have to."

Jonah Jameson still wasn't comfortable with his telepathy. He often answered out loud when he didn't need to. It tended to really annoy people, especially when they hoped that he wasn't reading their minds.

"Okay, Pops," Spidey quipped. "I'm sure the former CEO of Enron said that, too, right before he got arrested."

That really got Jameson riled. "You wall crawling menace! Why, I ought to…" Remembering at the last moment that he couldn't fire him, Jonah resorted to glaring.

Will you take it easy? Peter thought as he dodged laser blasts with acrobatic dexterity. I'm just doing what people expect. And for crying out loud, don't just stand there! I have enough on my mind without having to worry about you getting hit by a stray shot. "You ought to what? Get a new toupee? I'm not a mind-reader, you know," he said out loud.

Realizing that Spider-Man was right, Jameson ducked under a desk as plasma fire erupted from the robot. The wall crawler yelped as plasma scorched part of his arm. Part of his costume had burned away, leaving his wounded flesh exposed. It reminded Jonah that the Sentinel's weapons were very lethal, and that he really did not want to be hit by them.

Spidey looked around for something he could use as a weapon. Well, there were power lines nearby. Perhaps they would short out the Sentinel. It would be easier to telekinetically bring them closer, but Spider-Man wasn't supposed to be able to do that. He would have to lure the Sentinel there and make it look like an accident.

Spider-Man shot a strand of webbing and zipped from the Daily Bugle's building to the skyscraper across the street. The Sentinel turned to follow, which was the reaction he had hoped for.

"Hey, over here!" Peter waved his good arm.

The Sentinel stomped after him and fired its laser cannons. Spider-Man dodged the blasts as he climbed up the wall. The robot approached slowly but steadily. Spidey perched near the power line, being extremely careful not to touch it. He concentrated with his telekinetic abilities. The power line snapped, sending a current of electricity towards him. Spider-Man leapt over the cable and landed on the wall, crouching.

Closer came the Sentinel, not registering the threat that dangled above it. Finally, when it was close enough, Spider-Man concentrated and sent the power line flying into the robot's head. Sparks flew as the electricity overloaded its circuitry. The Sentinel exploded in a brilliant inferno. Spidey catapulted himself across the street to the Daily Bugle and climbed in through the broken window.

"Woohoo," Spider-Man remarked. "Score: Spidey 2, Sentinels 0."

Jonah rolled his eyes, but his thoughts belied his concern. That arm looks bad.

Hurts like hell, Peter admitted. But I heal fast.

He headed to the men's room so he could change into his civvies and then went to the first aid cabinet, where he found some antiseptic and bandages. As he wrapped the bandage around his arm, Peter noticed the time. He only had ten minutes to get to the airport.

"Oh no, MJ!"

Peter ran out the door, hoping that he wouldn't be late.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2