Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Okay, this is something that popped into my head recently. I don't even know if I'll ultimately end up using it, but whether I go ahead with the fic or not, the question is lodged in my head now, and I don't know where else to go with this sort of thing. I tried GOOGLE, but got nothing, and anyway, maybe I or even someone else could use this scene in any other fic down the road...

Anyway, my question is this:

What are some interesting theories that children have on where babies come from? Or are todays tots too educated?

~•~
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, there's still the old stories. The stork, found in a cabbage patch (yes, the story existed long before the dolls did).

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Top Banana
Top Banana
Boys are found in cabbage patches, girls are found in roses.
There's the stork. There's the one where you go to the hospital and choose which one you want.

There's mommy swallowed a watermelon seed (that explains the tummy).

Generally, kids repeat whatever Granma says, but based on my own kid - a bright kid knows babies grow inside mommies and come out when they're ready. But how mommy gets pregnant may be a bit of a mystery.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I read a story once where a girl of about 12 or so thought she could get pregnant by sitting on a toilet after a man peed on it. Oh and of course some kids think you could get pregnant just by kissing.

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
Top Banana
Top Banana
My sisters and I once thought hot-tubbing resulted in children--although we never had a hot tub.

And one of my friend's mothers was told that HER parents "went for a drive," and then they got her.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wait! Hold on! You're telling me the stork story isn't true? eek

Next you're going to be telling me there's no such thing as Santa Clause. mad

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
My mom and dad got me at K-Mart. My older sister they got at Sears. Guess they had a bit more money to spend on the first child. wink

ETA: When we were bad, my dad would always threaten to return us. goofy

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Columnist
Columnist
My parents used to tell us we were dropped by the eagles, and my sister likes to say that my other sister was dropped by the vultures.

As a slightly side note, when my mom was pregnant with my younger sister, my parents kept telling my older sister that she was getting, "a new baby sister." When the nurse asked my older sister how she liked her new baby sister, she replied, "fine... now we can get rid of Anna." I'm loved, can you tell?

~Anna

Kerth
Kerth
My mom was a midwife, so when I was a kid, I knew WAY too much about where babies came from! She used to have books with vivid graphics lying around and was not shy about sharing the details. I used to wish that I could believe in the stork!!!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Kerth
Kerth
Well, we had to watch an eductional movie in fourth grade where a woman givs birth, shown with all the gorey details. (Okay, it was cut short a bit, but that was about all the editing it got.)

I remember going home, still shell-shocked, and announcing that I was *never* going to have a baby.

But I knew before that that babies are growing in the mummy's tummy and that, somehow, they get out when they're ready since I have a brother four years my junior.

One story not mentioned before is the one about flowers and bees. (Never heard that one, but many references to it.)

Oh, and somewhere I heard the "God gives children to loving parents" part.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You guys wouldn't believe the recent conversation that Olympe and I had about this subject. Most of was... well, I'm a nurse and I think it was a little too medically graphic to put on the PG side of things...

But I've got to say that Olympe told me about a myth I'd never heard that says CocaCola prevents pregnancy (and I don't mean drinking it). That one had me lying in the floor laughing.

Well, we had to watch an eductional movie in fourth grade where a woman givs birth, shown with all the gorey details.
Oh, my gadfries... You're kidding. It might have been a little less traumatic to see puppies being born....

I think I always knew about babies being in a mommy's tummy, too. (I just didn't know how they got there.) But then I was always curious about all things about the human body.

The birds and the bees - or the flowers and the bees - speaks of pollination of flowers by bees (and birds). Thus it has become a more general term for procreation.

I remember hearing people mention 'The Pumpkin Patch'.

When I first became a nurse (27 years ago), it was a different time. At that time (and again later), I worked in obstetrics. I had one girl tell me, "I still don't understand how I could be having a baby. I didn't eat any watermelon. I hate watermelon." She truly did not understand what she had done that caused her pregnancy until I patiently explained it to her. She was in shock. That's just one of the things that I heard...

Here's one I just dreamed up: Superman brings babies to folks.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
C
Kerth
Online Content
Kerth
C
When I think of the Stork bring the babies I always envision the opening scene in the Disney movie Dumbo and the Storks bring all the babies to their mothers laugh

I had a friend once go over the gorey details about your mother and father really loving each other needless to say we really didn't want to think about that! I think my other friend said 'don't even say that!'

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Kerth
Kerth
No, I was not kidding about the film. But I guess I got over it...

Nancy, don't remind me of Coca Cola! Don't, don't , don't! rotflol

Here is the link to where I found all those myths:
myths about birth control
Enjoy!

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
not exactly 'where do come from', but a variation - the old changeling swap thing

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No, I was not kidding about the movie.
The movie? What movie? Oh, the educational movie.

Hey, CC, I can't say that I've ever heard of the changeling swap thing. Of what do you speak?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I told my oldest, almost 3, that she picked out her brother at the hospital. She told me about 6 months later that she picked out the wrong baby, we needed to take him back. LOL

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
But I've got to say that Olympe told me about a myth I'd never heard that says CocaCola prevents pregnancy (and I don't mean drinking it). That one had me lying in the floor laughing.
I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea. Coca Cola is acid and the sperm can't move when the surrounding is too acidic. That doesn't mean that I'd try that method, at least not if I was really serious with not wanting to get pregnant.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I also love the story the mother come up with in Now and Then, about the watering hose and the flower garden. rotflol

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, we had to watch an eductional movie in fourth grade where a woman givs birth, shown with all the gorey details.
How about the related film shown in high-school? That's when the captain of the football team faints and all the girls are laughing at the guys.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Top Banana
Top Banana
FOURTH GRADE?!?

I remember seeing a video about puberty in FIFTH grade, but one where a woman gives birth?!? No way. My parents never would've signed the permission form when I was nine years old.

We didn't even get into actual sex ed classes until sixth grade, and they were given every year, but I only had my parents sign the permission form for the one in sixth grade, and then I took an alternate assignment in seventh and eighth.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard