Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Over on another thread, Pam said:

Now, if someone wanted to do a thread about great stories that somehow never got a Kerth nom... that might be very interesting
Well, never let it be said I could resist a challenge. <g> And great idea, Pam.

So...what are your recommendations from all those great stories out there which missed out on being nominated/winning a Kerth? Just one - obvious - rule for this one - no Kerth nominees/winners allowed. This is a Kerth-free zone. wink If you're unsure of Kerth status check out the story on the Archive - with a few exceptions, it should have a Kerth icon next to it if it was a nominee/winner. (For nfic stories you'll have to check out the nKerth website).

One of the first which springs to my mind is the wonderfully hilarious vignette from Alicia U, Duckyman . I remember being so disappointed it never made the nominations list because I thought it was the funniest vignette of its year.

Shayne Terry's beautifully lyrical vignettes, Beauty , Rain and Rapture are worth a look.

Tracey's New Year\'s Wishes is one I tend to pull out and read again over the festive season.

Jennifer Eagan Dixons's stories are worth checking out. In particular, her When Magnolias Bloom is one of my all time favourite deathfics. And An A For Effort and Exhaustedly Happy are cute and funny little snapshots of Lois and Clark's married life.

Dominique Melaragni's Whiskey Galore is not just a great story, but has a special place in my heart because it's set in my favourite place on earth, St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland. Her Twas The Week Before Christmas is another seasonal fic I tend to revisit.

Over to you guys. You know there's a lot more than the above out there. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh goody. I want to play! Here's my 'off the top of my head, I'm no doubt forgetting something really wonderful' list.

Zoomway's Look, But Don't Touch
Demi's Remember Now What We Forgot
Hatman's Persephone's Return -- this one is gorgeous, and I think my favorite of all of Paul's fics. Although, I reserve the right to change my mind. Even later today.
And finally, and I know I'm a broken record on this one, Tank's A Future Reborn: Lois' Story . And why? Because it has the Best. Ending. Ever. to one of the Best. Series. Ever.

If that was a Kerth category, it would have been a cakewalk.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, since it was my idea, I suppose I ought to play laugh

Some of my early favorites were:
Reminiscing by Leigh Raglan. I read this one very soon after I got hooked by Tempus Fugitive, so this story was my main source of information about the second season goofy I read it over and over...

Revelation Scene by Andrea Lynn Dunham.

Scent of a Superman by Lola McClellan

I'm also quite fond of Hell Hath No Fury by Shawn V.

Lois and Clark and Silver and Bruce by Phil Atcliffe -- it's a crossover with Batman, which I usually don't like, but this one's quite nice.

Another crossover I liked was By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Elaine M Gustainis.

The Zipper by Alicia U. Short and sweet.

Red Roses was written by a friend of mine from CompuServe, way back when... he and I started to co-write a story, but then he disappeared.

There are more, too, but I've not got time to list them now... maybe I'll be back later smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great idea for a thread - there are lots of wonderful stories that, for whatever reason, never even got a nomination. I need to go back and look up some of my own favourites, but here's one for starters:

Burnout, by LabRat.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, that's a pretty cool idea.

My favs:

Date by Arrangement by Wendy Richards
Temporary Insanity by Demi
A Year Ago Today by Kaethel and Wendy Richards

Wow - I was sure to find more on my hard drive.
Maybe I'm too kerth-influenced aswell.
But running over my favourite authors, I almost always found this little Kerth symbol alongside (which demonstrates the necessity of this thread to me wink ).

BTW: Thanks for mentioning the nKerths, LabRat - I didn't know there was something like that.

Best,
Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
Features Writer
Features Writer

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
BTW: Thanks for mentioning the nKerths, LabRat - I didn't know there was something like that.
Yeah, the nKerths deal solely with nfic stories.

There's also the altKerths which honour excellence in all the non-story fan-related talent. Things like websites, artwork, trailers, music vids and so on.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Off-hand, there were a couple of Lote stories that I really liked...Affirmation and The Wild Rose.

GREAT idea for a thread! Several of these stories I haven't read, so I'm diving in as soon as this pesky fall quarter is over!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Several of these stories I haven't read,
And just to prove it's not just newbies who can benefit, I've been reminded of several stories I loved first time around that definitely deserve another look, but which I had completely forgotten about. Lote's being some of them. Thanks!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love Lote' "The wild rose"! Well, I love almost every story metioned, and I plan to read the few fics I missed in these years!

Other suggestions:

Chiara Prato' stories, expecially Lois\' return , Together again , A missed wedding ;

Stopquitdont'stories: Chip off the old Clark , City by the sea ( there is a nfic version), Mixed signals , Ultimate soldier , Unexplained events ;

ML Thompson' Without checking the water level ;

by Wendy Just Another Undercover Assignment and Second thoughts ;

another story I love is Strangers and friends by Lote and Jon Wolff; again by Lote Wounded angels ( a so talented author!);

First night and Sisters switch by Carol M;

Smallville 39 by Kaethel;

by Daydreamer 80 Professional rivals and Revealing cruise ;

many others... but now I have no time to indulge myself...

Simona smile

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Whee, what a fun thread! I would suggest:

- Tracey and Kaethel's You Were Mine
- I'll second the recommendations for Kaethel's Smallville 39 and Near Wild Heaven - Half a World Away
- Wendy and Yvonne's Brief Encounter ( gfic or nfic )
- Wendy's Just Another Undercover Assignment
- I'll also second Labrat's Burnout ( gfic or nfic )
- Sara Kraft's Wherever You Will Go ( gfic or nfic ) and its sequel Away from the Sun

Top Banana
Top Banana
It's known I love long, angsty fics, so I can recommend Little girl lost and Innocence lost by Laura Davies, and the not so angsty but long, very good written There\'s always something by Xanabee;

I find wonderful the Wendy and Kaethel' partnership, and so I love longer, very moving stories as Desperate measures but also shorter, angsty, sweet ending stories like The prisoner ; also by Wendy alone I love Dear Lois...love, Superman , and short waffy stories like Just good friends and Family .

Moving, wondefully written stories are always a pleasure, so A matter of ethics By Nan Smith is a fic I often re-read;

Waffy is one of my favourite categories for fics, so I like very much A rose for Superman by Laura Davies, Yesteday\'s rose by Missy Gallant, If anybody\'s blind by Katie Sizer, Completely yours by Lillonely, Purple for...? by emilystarr1, Pizza, movie and a globe by Jose Antonio and Saskia;

I like also sweet, funny stories, like Superman\'s shower by Carol M, An early morning surprise by Bella and Daydreamer, Martha knows best by Rich Syrave (I love manipulative Martha! wink ), Battle of wills by Ladee V, The dating game by Lanie.

This is a great idea, showing our appreciation to great not-Kerth-winner stories!

Simona smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've just discovered the genius that is Mary Potts, a.k.a Queen of the Capes . I recommend anything and everything by her. Comedy is my favourite genre and according to my english and drama professor, t's also the hardest thing to acheive in literature. So double kudos to her!
I can't believe how under-apreciated she seems to be, Kerth-wise! She did win one last year for her Phero-moan my lovely , but there are so many others by her even more deserving! How she got overlooked...
I read all her stories into the wee hours last night, and I thought I was going to wake up the whole house laughing. I think it made my flu get better too, so I'm strongly recommending her to everybody in need of a laugh.
That's my two-cents 'orth! Back to bed, now...
oh, PS, PS, I almost forgot... The Road Taken by Terry Leatherwood . A classic. Was shell-shocked not to see it nominated last year.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
C
Blogger
Blogger
C
I know it´s an old topic, but by searching the boards for fanfic recommendations, I found this topic and it remembers me of one if my favourite fanfics:

Have A Little Faith In Me by Nicole Sullivan.

I love this story, read it 4 times and never understood why she didn´t get a kerth for it. It´s a well written, touching, angsty story with so much understanding of the feelings and the motives of both, Lois and Clark.

Okay, now I feel better with praising this brilliant story,

thanks smile

corkat

Features Writer
Features Writer
"Desperate Times"
"A Final Au Revoir"
and "Freedom"

all by ML Thompson. Seriously, the woman is brilliant. (And all of the stories she DID get Kerth nominations and awards for prove it!)

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Columnist
Columnist
I'd also like to mention Laura Davies' story 'Little Girl Lost' and the sequel 'Innocence Lost'.

Both were written about very difficult subjects, but she handled the content very sympathetically, and Rachel, her little heroine, was portrayed wonderfully.

Another very old favourite is Chris Mulder's 'A Hero's Journey'.

I know these stories have already been mentioned, but I had to add my support.

Yours Jenni

Columnist
Columnist
Man, I could read for a month with all the stories listed here. Off to bookmark this topic and begin to read.

L
Blogger
Blogger
L
Here's my list:

Not Quite So Ordinary People by Tank
Truth or Dare By Nancy V. Sont
Underneath The Cape: An In-Depth Interview With Superman By Clark Kent by Leigh Raglan
Santa's Helper By Caroline K.
She By: LoisLaneWannaBe
Tell Clark... that I love him... By Wendy Richards
What You're Asking of Me by Raconteur27
Something To Talk About by Dawn
Kal-El's Return by Dawn

Also the stories by Stopquitdont that Simona listed above including:

Old Flame By StopQuitDont
This Magic Moment By Stopquitdont

Liz

S
Blogger
Blogger
S
Adding another to this old thread from the recent list of stories for the 2009 Kerths.

Where Does Superman Go? (When Rescues Go Wrong) by CarolM

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard