Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Blogger
Blogger
I just caught up with this thread and I'm throwing my two cents in.

First, password for nfic is sensible and prudent. The ones advocating no password do not have their butts on the line if and when minors would gain access to the site.

Second, I come here for relaxation, to read a good story, and to meet a few new people that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet otherwise. If this board did not exist, that would not be possible. I can see by the way this board is set up and run that there's a lot of effort that goes into this site. Gratitude, not criticism, would seem to be appropriate in light of the time commitment that is devoted to the maintenance of this board for our enjoyment.

I have not been here all that long, but I've sure had a lot of fun since I arrived. Whether FDK is posted with the story, by itself, with an arrow, updated weekly, monthly, whether the TOC's are complete, incomplete, whatever, are details that I, quite frankly, don't care about. I've never had a problem locating what I've wanted to read or view. This site is so easy to navigate, I really enjoy it. So, thank you to everybody out there who takes time out of their busy day to keep this site operational. Your efforts are appreciated.

smile1

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cheryl, I have to give you a hearty ditto! I find it amazing that I've known some people here and elsewhere since...high school. :p No matter what happens around here or there, the bigger picture is that the last 6 or so years of my life wouldn't be *nearly* as interesting! Or supportive, but I'll save the mushy for another time, and just say a big THANKS to the volunteers.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree, too, Cheryl.

And I actually think there was only one person who questioned the use of the nfic password (and he freely admits that he was probably the only one). There was a whole other thread about this.

And this board is extremely well organized and easy to use. And if there's something you don't understand, folks are eager and willing to help. You don't always see that on other boards.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This is a bit delayed, but I only just read this whole thread from beginning to current end on page 4.

I forget who said this:
However, I would like to offer another possible explanation about the feedback thing.

I tend to stay as far away from WIP fanfic as possible, because, in other fandoms, the WIPs basically took over my life. I was constantly trying to keep up with one writer or another.

So, on the boards, I only read one-shots, or fics that are complete but not posted on the archive.

Occasionally, as in the case with Sue's Faustian Bargain, I will read a WIP, but it has to be a) something I'm really interested in, or b) almost finished, and definitely going to BE finished.

Sometimes, I'll see a WIP that looks interesting, but I'll pass it by because I don't have time to get caught up in a story that will be a long time getting finished. I think to myself, "Hmmm, that looks interesting; I should read it when they're done."
I liked that this was mentioned, because with so many very promising - but long - stories, it makes sense. I do it, too - sort of "save" the story for a future day (like hoarding chocolate, although that's hard for me to do! goofy ).

Because for me, Real Life sort of comes in waves. Sometimes I feel like I'm careening from one thing to another over the course of a week or two. I'll have a sort of calm spell, then something will come up - commitments somewhere else, a holiday, or my Muse kicks in (also mentioned here, I think by James - I don't read much other than short stories, or finished ones of just a few parts, when I'm writing).

---

But I think the reasons they moved on were pretty varied. Some are writing for other fandoms now, some have just lost interest in writing/reading as I have, but still hang out here for the company, to varying degrees.
This was also a good point - and it makes sense. Graduating from school, having a child, getting a new job - many life changes bring changes in hobbies and interests as well - maybe you meet someone new who has an interest that is new to you, or whatever. And personal reasons, sometimes sad ones, like Nan's a while ago, can drag you away for a while.

---

Anyway...(darn mental rabbits!) I have found that I cannot be reading avidly and still be able to write. It's weird but true. I really am trying hard to get this story done and so I have cut back my reading to practically nothing. (anything by Nan is a must read for me, everyone else has to fend for themselves)
I'm in this group. I'm spending most of my time here working on my increasingly long epic, and again, that means I'm only reading short stuff. But - I've looked in on a few stories, and have put them on my "gonna read it when I'm done with my own story" because they look promising.

---

Caroline said:
Re: responding to feedback. I do try to respond to feedback, though perhaps not as assiduously as some of the others writing here. I always respond if asked a question, however, or if I feel a point needs clarification, and I try to thank those who take time to review, because I know it does take time and effort.

However, we carry things with us sometimes from one fandom to the next, and I've picked up one (probably nutty) thing in my travels that sometimes deters me from responding to my own feedback threads. One of the fandoms in which I've been peripherally involved prides itself on being Very Very Polite. This manifests itself in a number of ways, but one of them is the firm belief that every author should have a chance to have his or her story at the top of the board for a reasonable amount of time. So not only is daily posting considered bad form, it's expressly forbidden. If you post more than once every three days (I think that's the number) your post gets yanked and you get put on some sort of probation.

I've never even posted a WIP in that fandom, but I've hung around enough to have the idea burned into my brain that burying someone else's story on the boards is impolite. So if I go to respond to one of my FDK threads, and I see that someone else has just updated a story, I'll often decide just to wait rather than to push my FDK thread to the top by replying. I do realize that most people here probably think that's completely crazy, but I thought I'd throw it out there just because LabRat's post made me think of it.
blush I am in the class of "doesn't respond much to FDK" and I most humbly and sincerely apologize for it. In the beginning, I had this stupid idea that if I responded after the FDK thread was way down at the bottom of a page, or even on page 2, of a folder, then I would be too "self-promoting" if I replied and therefore placed the FDK back at the top of a folder. Weird, but there it is. It was why I responded at the top of each section of the story that I posted, instead.

Lately, I've come to realize that that idea is just plain wrong, and you who take the time to tell me outright that you like my ideas and stories deserve a reply. So I'm trying to overcome this idea that I shouldn't be pushing my FDK to the top. With this in mind, I'd love to reply to all my previous FDK threads, but can't get past the stupid self-promotion idea.

So instead, I will just start fresh now, and tell you all "thank you" when you post me FDK.

---

DJ - who is definitely still a newbie because she keeps learning new things about how to post
Me too! goofy Isn't it funny how you can be around for awhile but still be a newbie in some areas? Real Life is like that, too, though.

For instance, I didn't know this:
It's recommended that an author use the blue arrow message icon when posting a story or story part, to help distinguish it from the feedback threads.
until a few story segments ago. I've started to do it now, though. It's a good idea.

And this:
And then we moved to instalments, and it became difficult to find earlier instalments, so the fanfic index was set up - have you found that? If not, then click on the big Fanfic Index link at the top of the fanfic folder. There, you'll find all fic listed by title, with a link to the TOC.
I didn't know this at all, but boy, I like it now that I know about it. Another option to finding a story you're following.

'Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard