Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#152878 11/13/06 08:33 AM
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Because I'm that kind of a person, I was reading a website column earlier today. I came across the following:

When different is followed by a prepositional phrase, the preposition should be from . When it's followed by a dependent clause introduced by a conjunction (even if much of the clause is elliptical), the conjunction should be than .

A few malcontents will have none of this, claiming that in the UK it's considered perfectly proper to use different than in a prepositional construction.
Is this true? Having been on every side of every pond, I have a hard time keeping straight what I learned and where I learned it as far as grammar rules go. So, enlighten me.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#152879 11/13/06 09:04 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Sorry, my english really isn't good enough for those kind of things... If it were Dutch, I would've enlightened you goofy , but sorry frown

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#152880 11/13/06 12:49 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just moving this into FR, Rach, because traditionally that's where this kind of grammar topic usually goes. You'll probably get more replies in here, too, because our readers/writers are kind of interested in the subject. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#152881 11/13/06 03:41 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
If the article provided examples, I could probably tell you.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#152882 11/13/06 05:58 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Mirriam Webster's Dictionary of English Usage has this to say on the topic:

Different from is the most common and is standard in both British and American usage; different than is standard in American and British usage, especially when a clause follows than, but is more frequent in American; different to is standard in British usage but rare in American usage
it then goes on for another three columns with examples and history.

Chicago Manual of Style 15th edition which follows American usage says "different from is generally preferable to different than"

Strunk and White (again American usage focus) suggests different from.

Um...I think I got a little carried away.

"I don't know Mom; it's a bomb stain." -Clark Kent
#152883 11/18/06 07:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When different is followed by a prepositional phrase, the preposition should be from . When it's followed by a dependent clause introduced by a conjunction (even if much of the clause is elliptical), the conjunction should be than.
Did a bit of checking. The only time than may be used with different is when you have a word or phrase in between - as you quote above.

I think the quote you have is from the site I pulled up myself on a search, which includes this example:

Bernstein admits that there are instances in which different than is preferable. He cites some quotes originally dredged up by Bergen Evans: "How different things appear in Washington than in London." "It has possessed me in a different way than ever before." To use from in these sentences would require some lumbering construction like, "How different things appear in Washington from the way they appear in London." Bernstein and Evans offer a rather vague rationale for why than is OK, but it boils down to this: In the sentences above, than functions as a conjunction, not a preposition. The first is a condensed version of "How different things appear in Washington than they do in London"; the expanded form of the second would conclude, "than it ever has before."
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010316.html

These examples are perfectly okay in UK English, and I believe they are too in US English.

But Beer is different than cider is definitely bad grammar, in both UK and US English. Different from and different to are interchangeable in UK English.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#152884 11/19/06 06:41 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I dunno . . . I'd definitely say "beer is different than cider." "Beer is different from cider" just sounds weird to me.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#152885 11/19/06 08:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You might say that, but in that example it's bad grammar wink Different from or different to are the correct usages, except for the specific example of where you're adding something between the 'different' and the 'than'. See the website I linked to.

In the Oxford Guide to English Usage it's noted that "different than" is useful in constructions such as "I was a different man in 1935 than I was in 1916" or "The American theatre is suffering from a different malaise than ours." But without the intervening phrases it should be 'from' or 'to'.

Now, I've done some hunting on US as opposed to UK grammar. There is precedent for different than with no intervening words in limited circumstances - and I'm not even sure I understand them properly, so I'd stick with 'from' because I know it's always right wink

Take a look at this commentary on Different from v Different than . The author quotes from the American Heritage Book of English Usage:

If you want to follow traditional guidelines, use from when the comparison is between two persons or things: My book is different from (not than) yours. Different than is more acceptably used, particularly in American usage, where the object of comparison is expressed by a full clause: The campus is different than it was twenty years ago. You can use different from with a clause if the clause starts with a conjunction and so functions as a noun: The campus is different from how it was twenty years ago.
So the example of beer and cider does require 'from' even in US usage.

The author continues, elaborating on the American Heritage explanation:

Remember that we use different from when we compare two persons, places or things directly.

By contrast, we use different than when the object of comparison is contained in a clause. Note that a clause is defined as "a group of words containing a subject and a predicate and forming part of a compound or complex sentence." In simpler language, a clause is a group of words contains both a noun and a verb.
And the examples:

My writing style is different from hers.

This village is vastly different than it was 30 years ago.

"How different things appear in New York than how things appear in Nashville," Josh exclaimed.

"How different things appear in New York from how things appear in Nashville," Josh exclaimed.
Does this make it simpler? Personally, I'd still use 'from', but it's clear that 'than' has wider uses than just where a phrase intervenes between 'different' and 'than' - but that the usage is only where the comparison is more complex than X is different from Y.

Does this answer your question, Capes?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#152886 11/21/06 08:28 AM
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Does this answer your question, Capes?
Absolutely, Wendy. I'm not surprised that you were the one to clear it up smile

I get my grammar so confused these days with all the language shifting, that I need to double-check on the particulars from time to time!

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#152887 11/25/06 06:35 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
"Beer is different from cider" sounds better to me.

Other than that I can't get into the technical aspect of it.

My head was just twirling when I read the fist bit of this post. My brain just starts to fog up and my eyes glaze over.

The written word can be so romantic and poetic yet when broken down into parts it sounds so freakishly scientific.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard