Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#152628 10/28/06 12:30 PM
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
And this attitude isn't just manifest in Clark's relationship with Lois! Let's not forget that LOIS was the only one to fight to find out that Superman (and therefore, Clark) was not responsible for the heat wave in The Man of Steel Bars. Clark was all ready to give up, giving off MAJOR "what's the point?" vibes the whole episode
Tell me about it! that's one of the examples I had but forgot to put in my original post. I'm currently attempting a re-write of Man of Steel Bars because of that very thing! A more pro-active/assertive Clark Kent will be showing up in that one, believe me!

"I don't know Mom; it's a bomb stain." -Clark Kent
#152629 10/28/06 05:24 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by ChiefPam:
Yes, several, but they're *odd*! <g>
You say that like it's a BAD thing!

Send 'em all! laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#152630 10/29/06 12:01 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
very interesting question, Kateyd. smile I guess it depends on what you consider a fatalist to be. smile

But I'm not so sure I see Clark Kent as a fatalist - maybe because I 'm not sure all of what what you've described is "fatalistic", although I do think the guy's a procrastinator at times.

Also, imo, some of his lack of "proactivism" with respect to Lois can be chalked up to a bit of old -fashioned male pride. In other words I think his motivation is complex. smile

At the end of S1 Clark was quite "proactive" with Lois as he tried to persuade her against marrying Lex and also when he confessed his own love for her. Up until the day of the wedding Clark was investigating Lex, trying to stop things. Later, at the end of S2, once Clark knows Lois loves him, he cuts to the chase and asks Lois to marry him - no wasting time at that point!

Remember Perry's surprise when lois told him about Clark's proposal. "Why don't you'll try dating first?"

The Scardino issue is not as sraight forward but I'm not certain Clark's behaviour there is motivated by fatalism, the sense that he lacks free will because what happens in his life is controlled by other forces. Sometimes he's not all that passive around Scardino - he lets off some nice snark Scardino's way, and also asks Lois out, etc. Still, his behaviour there is not as 'proactive' as it was when he was trying to stop Lois from marrying Lex.

Why? Maybe because, no matter how much he dislikes Scardino, Clark knows he's not a master criminal and so he has no right to do more? But there is one bit that struck me at the time - can't remember which ep. Perry takes Clark into his office and advises him tobe more aggressive with respect to Lois and Scardino.

Clark's response: "I don't want to have to compete for her. She knows how I feel." Now I don't see this as fatalistic, but as question of pride. He was hurt by her rejection in S1, and it was very clear that he wanted her to love Clark, not Superman. So Scardino was Lois's test. Lois couldn't be influenced: *she* had to choose Clark of her own free will. Male pride at work. smile (or it could be, of course, that he didn't think Lois was worth competing for smile )

Clark's behaviour towards Scardino is actually less "fatalistic" or passive than Lois's behaviour toward Mayson.

What everyone said about the amnesia arc, though! Have to say some of the magic went out of the show for me at that point. (How's that for avoifing saying I was pissed off? laugh ) Think the writers forgot about characterization at the time.

Repectfully, I'm going to disagree with you here:
I see this all through fanfic as well, Clark is not a pro-active kind of guy. He seems to let things slide
Maybe it's because I get thrown out of a fanfic when Clark is being too wussy. But my impression is that there are lots of fanfics out there, and not just alt fanfics, that depict Clark as a more complex character (which he was in the show). It may be, though, that in the longer romance fics, in order to prolong the angst, Clark has to be written as a "fatalist" in order to produce a longer story - star-crossed lovers and all that. Not sure. laugh

Also, don't forget that Superman is part of what Clark Kent is, and Superman is a, well, an "action hero" laugh

I know, way too long a post. frown

c.

#152631 10/29/06 01:43 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
At the end of S1 Clark was quite "proactive" with Lois as he tried to persuade her against marrying Lex and also when he confessed his own love for her.
I disagree. His confession is a reaction to Luthor’s proposal. And trying too find a way too make Lois see that she is marrying a criminal sociopath, is also kind of the bare minimum of a friend and he doesn’t even do that very diligently. In fact, as several fics gotten into, why doesn’t he use Superman to lay down the law? Clark knows that Lois virtually take his word as gospel.

I'm not certain Clark's behaviour there is motivated by fatalism, or a sense that he lack's free will because what happens in his life is controlled by other forces.
Well fatalism is perhaps the wrong word, Clark certainly knows that he always have a choice. I take it that his immense powers makes him hesitant to force his will upon the world in all things. It’s the fact that he has no restraints but those he chose to impose on himself that keeps him so passive. He afraid that he will lose his ties to “humanity” if he indulge himself.

Considering Lois and Scardino I can see him second-guessing things. Is it really a good idea to ask Lois to live in a lie, to share him with the rest of the world, whether if they could have family etc, on top of that he doesn’t know how she will react to the whole picture.
Perhaps it would actually be better for Lois to go with this Scardino fellow?
These are the kind of questions that goes through the mind of a nice guy.

At the very least Lois has to make it clear that she want Clark Kent, before he can tackle the other issues.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#152632 10/29/06 06:45 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
At the very least Lois has to make it clear that she want Clark Kent, before he can tackle the other issues.
That, to me, embodies what I thought "fatalistic" meant when I first read this thread. Not that he has no free will, or even that he thinks he has none. Rather, that he thinks others have clearly chosen something other than what he wishes, and therefore feels the need to step back and let them have what he thinks they've chosen.

Whether or not they've really chosen that is a moot point--Clark thinks they've chosen it, so he's not going to force them to choose otherwise. Lois did that too, when she practically pushed Clark out the door to go to lunch with Mayson.

In the heat wave, he didn't see how anything other than he could be causing the heat wave, so he felt he should "bow out gracefully." I'll bet that it hurt him to see Lois push the issue, simply because he believed that the scientists were right, and he might've thought Lois was just handing out false hope.

With Scardino, Clark was ready to MOVE AWAY when he thought that Lois had given up Superman for Scardino. It didn't even occur to him that Lois might have chosen HIM instead--as he said, he and Lois hadn't been getting along very well lately.

During the Arrrgh:

When Lois told him she'd never loved him, etc. I think that Clark was just so dumb-struck that he'd forgotten what Jimmy'd said about Lois calling herself Wanda and being in love with Kent, not Clark. 'Cause when he goes into the Ace 'O Clubs to talk to her, he says his name is Clark.

That said, he lets her go, because he doesn't remember that she thinks she's someone else, and he really thinks that's what she wants. Not to mention, she pulled the "If you really love me . . ." card.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#152633 10/29/06 07:12 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm not sure those things are "fatalistic" though. He's just showing a resepct for someone's else's right to choose a course of direction that differs from what he might have chosen. He may, at times, be mistaken in his assessment of what's going on, but a fatalist he's not. At times, a lunkhead, maybe. smile

c.

#152634 10/29/06 07:32 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You know, it occurs to me that a "fatalist" would believe that whatever was gonna happen would happen, so why fight it. Which is pretty much the opposite of the theory that "one man can make a difference." Right?

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#152635 10/29/06 03:20 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
a "fatalist" would believe that whatever was gonna happen would happen, so why fight it.
That's exactly the point I was trying to make with the examples above. Clark thought things that were happening weren't going to end up in his favor, so he didn't try to fight them--whether that attitude was out of respect for other people's choices or not, it still seems fatalistic to me.

Eventually, if a person is constantly stepping aside for others, never even trying to change others' minds when he doesn't really WANT to step aside, then that person will eventually end up with all the things, situations, miracles, happiness, whatever that he wanted belonging/going to someone else.

There's a time to respectfully step aside, and then there's a time to fight for what you want. Clark doesn't seem to know which times to stand up, and which times to step aside--and he very willfully and almost decisively steps aside at that. That, to me, is a fatalist.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#152636 10/29/06 04:31 PM
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Originally posted by MetroRhodes:
And everyone, including Perry, seemed to trust him.
And why would this be a good recommendation? You can talk all you want about how blind Lois was to not realize Clark was Superman and to not see Luthor for who he really was, but Perry's track record is almost worse! Harlan Black from "Chi of Steel," Bill Church Jr., Deter, and I'm pretty sure there are a few more! Perry may not have become a great reporter because he could yodel, but sometimes I wonder how he did become a great reporter with some of those people he trusts!

"I don't know Mom; it's a bomb stain." -Clark Kent
#152637 10/30/06 12:08 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Clark thought things that were happening weren't going to end up in his favor, so he didn't try to fight them--whether that attitude was out of respect for other people's choices or not, it still seems fatalistic to me.
For a person to be a fatalist, he would have to believe he had no power to change anything but must submit *because* things are beyond a human being's ability to change them. That's quite a different belief or motive than deciding not to act because you respect someone else's right to choose his own path or accept the decision of someone whom you believe to be an expert.

Also for a person to be truly a fatalist, that type of "can't do anything about it" motivation would be typical of most of his behaviour, rather than just a few things.

Back to Clark Kent. He doesn't accept Lois's decision to marry Luthor - and he acts to prevent it. Nor does he submit to the Scadino and Lois pairing at first, although it's true that he does give up by the time WWW occurs, but not because he's a fatalist imo. Still, the clone arc *is* riddled with bad decisions on his part, as well as Perry's, as Kateyd points out.
(This, as others have done in this thread, I really blame on loony script-writers smile )

But most of the time, Clark *acts* - he tries to change that which the gods or Evil Forces! or just plain old mass historical inevitability has decreed.

He takes off at a moment's notice to rescue people from a potential diaster; he battles an asteroid; he doesn't take Perry's rejection of him day 1 but instead goes out, digs up a story, and gets the job at the Planet; he fights so many villains, for example - Trask, Tempus, Luthor from day 1.

I think for him to be called a 'fatalist' , submissive acceptance would have to be true about him most of the time. As well, we would have to be sure we couldn't attribute his non-behaviour in a given situation to any other motivation (like respect for other's right to decide or pride, or depression, etc)

Some fanfics depict a submissive Clark - often the victim of that mean alpha girl, Lois Lane laugh . If that's the only type of fanfic you read, then that might lead you to think the guy's a wuss. smile Just as if I read only dark alt fics, I might wind up thinking Clark kent is really Bruce Wayne laugh .

or I could of course go back to the show itself and select some bits like the toy rats thing, and also just read the humourous vignettes on the mbs and come to the conclusion that Clark Kent/Superman is a Goof laugh (mind you, a mischevious, sexy goof wink ]

Anyway, incredibly long-winded way of saying what Pam said: A fatalist isn't a guy who believes that one man can make a difference.

c. (who enjoys discussing character issues smile So thanks Katey for raising it. smile

#152638 10/30/06 12:36 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Also for a person to be truly a fatalist, that type of "can't do anything about it" motivation would be typical of most of his behaviour, rather than just a few things.
Okay, I can see that. Clark may not be a fatalist, but there are times (though rare) when he makes decisions with a fatalistic bent--how's that?

Darcy\'s Place
#152639 10/30/06 01:15 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
lol, DS - absolutely fine smile

c.

#152640 11/07/06 05:02 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
<Clark was taught to be polite and sometimes he doesn't realize that there are times when you have to forget your manners and do what needs to be done.>

I agree totally with you,MrsMosley!

For me Clark isn't fatalist, but complex.... He's proud and needs of confirmations, he's uncertain in the love affair!!!
But I think too, Clark is out of charachter for the Deater's history and above all for letting Lois drive off with Lex!!! Really out!!! My God, the man is LEX!!! A devil, a mad man!!! Clark is crazy!!! dizzy

For Scardino it's another situation, Clark is demoralized and he does not know like behaving himself with Lois!
At last for me Clark is pro-active!!! But introvert and reflexive and for this reason for him it's all more difficult!

CLARK: I hated not being able to tell you. I mean, you think it was easy watching you swoon over Superman and ignore me?
LOIS: That doesn't make any sense! You are Superman!
CLARK: No, Superman is what I can do, but Clark is who I am...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard