Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#152234 10/04/06 04:10 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay guys, NanoWriMo is almost here. I thought maybe it would be nice to post up a thread here related to this and see if anyone here was going to be participating.

What is NaNoWriMo?
The short and simple is this: National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

You can write fanfiction for this endeavour... but you can't start your story until Nov 1.

I am myself going to attempt to write a Lois and Clark story. I have never been able to write any fanfiction other than drabbles. I'm actually quite pathetic at anything longer than this. Usually I end up over analyzing everything and then delete most of it leaving the story unfinished. But... since this challenge forces you to write as much as possible and just crank it out I am hoping that there might be something I can edit down at the end of the challenge that might somehow resemble a story. Even if it doesn't... I figure this could be a ton of fun just to try.

Once you sign up you can add friends and encourage each other so I though that it might be nice to see if anyone here wanted to jump in on the challenge and do just that? If you are interested sign up and post your name here for everyone to add you.

I'm signed up under jojo_da_crow ^_^

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#152235 10/05/06 09:50 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think about this every year... and never get brave enough to start laugh But last year, I and a few others did an (Inter)National Finishing WIPs Month -- NaFinWipsMo goofy

Same concept, but we worked feverishly to actually finish the long stories we'd been working on. It was very motivating to have word-count goals to meet every day. And comparing word counts with others was very motivating, too!

Just a thought smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#152236 10/05/06 02:03 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
That actually sounds like an awesome idea! Maybe we should arrange something like that again. ^_^

I think I'm starting with this one just because the thought of writing something longer than a thousand or so words is so hard for me. This is going to push me out of my comfort zone. Nothing may come of this story... but hopefully if gives me a bit of courage to try to take on something a bit larger than a drabble.

Heck I already feel like I am learning something since I am going to be making my first real outline for a story ever. I have sketched out ideas before but never gone into any detail. This one is going to be quite detailed so that I can just write and not have to worry about small things.

I'm actually getting pretty excited about it. ^_^

#152237 10/14/06 05:05 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm actually thinking of participating this year. It won't be a L and C story. I want to try writing something original. I have an idea but just have never gotten around to trying to write it. So this will give me a deadline.

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#152238 10/15/06 12:15 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I did it last year and, although I didn't finish my novel, it did give me an incentive to a) get started, and b) produce 123 pages of story. Of course, I'm now stalled and probably will be for months, if not years, but at least I can say I've written something totally original. smile

Yvonne

#152239 10/15/06 06:42 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Sadly I found out that I won't be able to participate this year. My other hobby (which is all consuming) is going to be taking up all my extra time. frown To bad, I was pretty excited about this as well.

C'est la vie. Maybe next year?

#152240 10/15/06 10:29 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I'm going to be brave and take part. laugh Wish me luck!

#152241 10/16/06 11:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I signed up last year, I think, but I didn't finish. (I seem to recall yelling and throwing things...)

Anyway, maybe I could give it another shot this year! smile

~•~
#152242 10/17/06 07:03 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Well, I just signed up because a couple of my friends talked me into it goofy I don't think I'm going to manage anything, but we'll see...

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#152243 10/17/06 09:29 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ooooh, this sounds like a riot! smile

Technically speaking, it looks doable enough.... 175 page in 30 days means a little under 6 pages per day.

If I can manage to finish the story I'm writing before then (I hope so, I only have a few pages left and 2 weeks to do it!) I'm definitely going to try and do this. laugh

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#152244 10/31/06 05:37 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
22 minutes until November. Good luck to all NaNoWriMo participants!

And for those bloggers who don't quite feel up to 50k words in 30 days, check out NaBloPoMo .

Lisa (bandwagon, here I come)

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#152245 11/02/06 10:01 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I actually have been sneaking and writing at work since my other things take up all my time when I am at home.

Curent word count: 1879

I'm really hoping to hit at least 3000 today. How is everyone else doing?

EDIT: 2874 on the second day. frown Didn't quite make my goal.

#152246 11/02/06 12:18 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've started last night, but had a migraine so didn't manage to get the 2000 words in that I had hoped. This morning I had 1150 - currently I've got 1300 (sneaked a few sentences in during lunch.)

Just sitting down to write actually. smile

Good luck to everyone!!

(edited to fix an idiotic typo!)

#152247 11/03/06 01:40 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Currently at 1,951 and happy with that. (I've yet to write any today) You may be pleased to know as well that after illiminating lots of ideas, I've chosen to write a L&C fic! Fingers crossed, by the end of November I'll have a story to edit and post here for your enjoyment!

#152248 11/03/06 02:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Way to go, everyone! Don't give up!
[Linked Image]

hehe! Could not resist. (I need some encouragement myself anyway *lol*)

You may be pleased to know as well that after illiminating lots of ideas, I've chosen to write a L&C fic!
Weee!!!! smile

So have I, actually. I couldn't think of anything else I'd enjoy writing right now. wink

#152249 11/03/06 02:28 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I'm having a riot. Usually, when I try to write non-Lois and Clark stories, I end up over thinking things and getting completely bogged down. Since the goal here is to simply write 50,000 words, it makes things a lot more fun - much like writing a Lois and Clark story where I don't think either (as you can probably tell by my stories blush )

And since I'm writing a story set in a court house... hey, I've got a lot of crazy ideas to draw from. In fact, one of the ideas that has already made it in the story comes from something that happened this week.

Current word count: 9586 (as you can see, I'm having fun)

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#152250 11/03/06 03:15 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Current word count: 9586 (as you can see, I'm having fun)
well, dang! thud

I wish I didn't have a day job... it would be so much easier to write (not to mention relax and enjoy myself!!)

On my way to start on my 2000-some words for today. *fingers crossed*

#152251 11/03/06 06:44 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm currently at 3200 and I'm pretty sad about this progress. I'm hoping to try to get in some more tonight. *crosses fingers*

#152252 11/03/06 06:53 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
One of my friends on live journal who is participating on NanoWriMo had a great idea. Here is a direct quote of her LJ post:

So I had this idea. And I can already tell you it isn't going to work (at least, not 100%), because stuff comes up and ruins plans like this, but I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. Maybe it'll help with creativity... or maybe it will hinder it. We'll see.

ANYWAY! The idea is this: You know how many authors have a prop that helps them write? Such as a favorite candle, sweatshirt, or CD? Or some always write in the early morning hours and some like to go to a particular cafe? Well, I kind of have things like this (example: if I'm at home I'll almost always burn a candle. And I particularly like writing when I'm drinking something warm), but there's nothing I do consistently.

So... my idea is that for each day during NaNoWriMo, I'm going to try something new. I've constructed a list and temporary schedule of my ideas. Again, I know that I probably won't stick to it exactly, but we'll see how it goes. And who knows? Maybe I'll discover a time, place, or favorite prop that will magically turn me into the next Nora Roberts (as in, BIZARRELY prolific).

You're all welcome to borrow the idea to any degree. And if you have any suggestions of your own, please let me know! I'm not entirely crazy about everything on my list and am totally open to suggestions.

Nanowrimo 2006

* = weekend

Week One
Read first chapter of No Plot? No Problem!

Day 1: Get up early for a running start. Go out for breakfast.

Day 2: Paint nails a vibrant color for pretty typing.

Day 3: Late night happy hour at Applebee’s.

*Day 4: Go to the library. Research something.

*Day 5: Take a bath and brainstorm.

Day 6: Wear lingerie.

Day 7: Watch Elizabethtown, muted, for eye candy purposes.

Week Two
Read second chapter of NP?NP!

Day 8: Write by candlelight.

Day 9: Wear a fancy cocktail ring.

Day 10: Check out Il Fiasco or Ravenous (or other desired restaurant).

*Day 11: Order pizza.

*Day 12: Sit in front of the fireplace.

Day 13: Wear cozy, frumpy clothes.

Day 14: Get up early and go to Tully’s.

Week Three
Read third chapter of NP?NP!

Day 15: Burn incense.

Day 16: Snuggle up in a warm blanket.

Day 17: Drink wine.

*Day 18: Late-late night eating/writing session: Shari’s, Denny’s, Bertolino’s.

*Day 19: Drive to Ruston Way and write in Tux. (Tux is her car)

Day 20: Wear a cocktail dress.

Day 21: Listen to LotR soundtracks.

Week Four
Read fourth chapter NP?NP!

Day 22: Feast on nachos and margaritas.

*Day 23: Thanksgiving: go to parent’s house.

*Day 24: Listen to Steely Dan.

*Day 25: Café hop: Mandolin, NPCC, Forza.

*Day 26: Listen to Breakfast with the Beatles.

Day 27: College diet night: ramen or mac’n’cheese and soda.

Day 28: Wear pearls.

Day 29: Call in sick?

Day 30: Last Day!
Drink champagne. Toast.

#152253 11/04/06 06:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hehehe! that's a cool idea! smile

I'm currently at 3883 words (which I think is a funny number cause it's one of those palindrome things *lol*) and just sat down to write a minute ago. I've got my coffee and my music and the TV (muted) so I get something to look at when I'm in need of an idea. I'm hoping by supper time I'll have a good chunk of writing done.

My biggest problem is I tend to *think* too much. Like last night, I needed to put in the title of a book. One that doesn't exist. One that sounds exotic. So I Googled in a few words and half an hour later I had my title - one which no one seemes to have used before. Yay. But then, I needed to explain what the story in the book was about, so I had to Google some more to learn about the Sahara Desert and the Nile River and such... An hour and a half later, I now knew LOTS about Sudan and Egypt. But - and that's the worst part - for those two hours of research, I ended up with about 6 lines of text, cause that's all I needed the info for. :rolleyes:

Now if I can manage to not go back and re-read what I've written and fix the parts that I don't like (again!), I may be able to actually write... *sigh* I'm so not good under pressure. frown At least, not for anything that requires brain activity. LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard