Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
In my whopping three months of reading LCfanfic, I have read dozens and dozens of stories. (Yes, I know I have a lot more to go!) I have enjoyed most of them very much. Many of them I have even downright loved. But only a select few have had the power to touch me on a deep level. These are stories that wouldn't leave my thoughts for days and even in a small way changed the way I think. Two examples are Becky Bain's Ad Astra Per Aspera and Lynn M's The Butterfly Legacy . Becky's story made me really think about accepting life after the fairy tale ends and being happy anyway, and Lynn's story made me think about how one person can change our lives forever, even if you only know them for a short period of time and how love is, to quote the story, not a limited commodity. I think that years from now I will still remember these two stories.

So I was wondering, are there any LCfanfics that affect you on a deep level, and if so would you mind sharing what they are and why they touched you?

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, gosh, there are so many that I remember and that have affected me. There was one, though, that upset me so badly and made me so upset that I quit reading fanfic for at least a year. I won't put the name here in deference to the author, but it is a fic that is very often talked about. Maybe it was just my state of mind at the time, and I keep thinking I'm going to give it another try, but I don't know if I can because the memories are so painful. I did email the author and told them how extremely sad that I thought it was. (The person doesn't know I quit reading fanfic for awhile because of it, though.)

Nancy

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've really enjoyed a *lot* of fanfics, and I've listed those before in "what are your fav fics" questions, but this question is a new one . . . I'm trying to think of ones where the words or theme come back to me again and again--not many books that do that, and those are the ones that really made an impact on me.

I'd have to say Annie M's Playing the Game is the first that comes to mind when I think of fics that really made an impact on me, the words Clark says to Lois about loving her unconditionally. I think of those in friendship terms every now and then. (And one of these days I need to send her some fdk and let her know how much I enjoy reading that series.)

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
There's been several fanfics that just settle on my longterm brain harddrive. And even through several moves, divorce, etc, these stories have been saved on countless CDs and are sitting in a LC\fav\ directory at work:
-Irene Dutch's Firestorm series (Until the most recent move, these were nicely printed out for years and have been reread countless times.)
-Jeff Brogden's Lost and Found
-Wendy Richard's Penfriend & It happened one (Super) Night
-Pam Jernigan's Tryst & other vignettes

Couple other stories come to mind like Plan9lives' On the run--unfortunately unfinished and one other that I seem to have lost in my last move, and can't seem to find anywhere again frown

Books & apparently some fanfic smile are like friends to me... I pull them out and visit with them quite frequently it seems, especially when things in life seem so out of control sometimes!

Julie

Top Banana
Top Banana
There's just one story, whether fanfic or novel, that's actually made me cry, and that's Wendy's For The Greater Good. The reason it affected me so deeply was its resonance with the feelings I'd experienced thirty years ago when my sister was killed in a train crash. I don't want to spoil the story for anyone who's not read it, but suffice to say, there's one aspect of Wendy's story which differs quite cruelly from my own reality and really managed to rub in the fact that my sister is never coming back.

For all that it made me cry, it's a fantastic story and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Yvonne

M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
Thank you for your answers! Goody, new (to me) stories to read...

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There's really one story that affected me deeply. That was Irene D's "Redemption". I won't go into the whys and wherefores, but it changed the course of my life.

So, who says stories can't change the world!

And I definitely recommend it.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Columnist
Columnist
JoMurf and Capes, I don't know what to say to either of you. I'm blown away by your high praise.

Thank you.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard