Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
DSDragon, thank you for posting this question, and everyone else, thank you for responding.

This topic has come at just the right time for me, because I am struggling with my first long fic. I actually do have an outline, because that is how I work best, but I am having a problem filling in the chapters. But I am working on it.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Random thoughts here...

When I start out, I have a great plan for the beginning of the story, and I figure that I'll just find the rest as I go - or brainstorm and outline one chapter at a time - but then I get to the next chapter, and I find out I have no idea what to do next, or even how I want the story to end.
It sounds like you are a "Pantser" -- a writer who writes by the seat of the pants. This is opposed to a Plotter, who has an outline, timeline, storyboard, whatever to act as a roadmap. Neither is right or wrong. It's whatever works for you. I usually have notes scribbled all over a piece of paper with some notes on each character, a scene idea or two, maybe a snappy line of dialogue that's popped into my mind and ideas for a location. The method that works for you is the "right" one.

If you have a story that you think needs fleshing out, then I would suggest you look for places where you're telling the readers something and try to show them instead.
Excellent suggestion! And one I struggle with myself. Showing involves strong verbs and dialogue. That example of Clark making all the sandwiches a perfect example of showing and not telling. One rule of thumb I've read is if you can get the information across in dialogue rather than narrative, do it.

Well, the first thing I would say is that I hope you're not underestimating the value of a "great vignette."
Amen to that! I just took an old vignette, reworked it and sold it to a magazine. And that brings me to my next point.

In fanfiction, the characters and universe are already created for you. You don't have to explain who they are, what they do for a living, what they look like, what their backstory is, et cetera. That takes up a lot of page count in original fiction. So your fanfic may be a little shorter simply because you didn't have to create your own universe and characters.

ML gave some good examples of finding plot ideas. I keep a folder of interesting articles I see in the local paper or even on Internet news sites. Most recently was about a jilted bride who used her non-refundable reception as a fundraiser for a children's charity. That little news item is the basis for a story I'm working on now.

Also, ask "What if?"

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
It sounds like you are a "Pantser" -- a writer who writes by the seat of the pants. This is opposed to a Plotter, who has an outline, timeline, storyboard, whatever to act as a roadmap. Neither is right or wrong. It's whatever works for you. I usually have notes scribbled all over a piece of paper with some notes on each character, a scene idea or two, maybe a snappy line of dialogue that's popped into my mind and ideas for a location. The method that works for you is the "right" one.
Ah, but being a "pantser" doesn't work for me if I'm trying to write a longer fic--I get stuck. So, I'm thinking I'm a "pantser" for vignettes and shorts, and I should probably try and be a "plotter" for long fics.

Also, ask "What if?"
I do that sometimes too. I just don't like to ask "What if?" about episodes/ideas that have been done many, many times already. I like to find something at least semi-unique to write about in my fanfiction (most of my fics so far have been based on ideas that I haven't read about at all, or have only seen one or two stories about in the archives)--which is why I will NEVER, EVER write a TOGOM-based fic.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
which is why I will NEVER, EVER write a TOGOM-based fic.
Never say never. :p

I finally broke down and had a silly 'what-if.' It's probably the longest fic I've ever written...6 pages! Hehe. It's the only time I've ever gotten away with no significant A or B plot...ah, the joys of comedic re-writes!

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have always been fascinated by plots.

This article is extremely interesting about the history of pulp fiction writing and has several links to plot lists. Plot devices Notice that it's multiple pages.

This one, might also be of interest: The Lester Dent Pulp Paper Master Fiction Plot

Very often people tries to sort out all the basic plots, this is one of the more known ones:

The Twenty plots:

#1 QUEST - the plot involves the Protagonist's search for a person, place or thing, tangible or intangible (but must be quantifiable, so think of this as a noun; i.e., immortality).

#2 ADVENTURE - this plot involves the Protagonist going in search of their fortune, and since fortune is never found at home, the Protagonist goes to search for it somewhere over the rainbow.

#3 PURSUIT - this plot literally involves hide-and-seek, one person chasing another.

#4 RESCUE - this plot involves the Protagonist searching for someone or something, usually consisting of three main characters - the Protagonist, the Victim & the Antagonist.

#5 ESCAPE - plot involves a Protagonist confined against their will who wants to escape (does not include some one trying to escape their personal demons).

#6 REVENGE - retaliation by Protagonist or Antagonist against the other for real or imagined injury.

#7 THE RIDDLE - plot involves the Protagonist's search for clues to find the hidden meaning of something in question that is deliberately enigmatic or ambiguous.

#8 RIVALRY - plot involves Protagonist competing for same object or goal as another person (their rival).

#9 UNDERDOG - plot involves a Protagonist competing for an object or goal that is at a great disadvantage and is faced with overwhelming odds.

#10 TEMPTATION - plot involves a Protagonist that for one reason or another is induced or persuaded to do something that is unwise, wrong or immoral.

#11 METAMORPHOSIS - this plot involves the physical characteristics of the Protagonist actually changing from one form to another (reflecting their inner psychological identity).

#12 TRANSFORMATION - plot involves the process of change in the Protagonist as they journey through a stage of life that moves them from one significant character state to another.

#13 MATURATION - plot involves the Protagonist facing a problem that is part of growing up, and from dealing with it, emerging into a state of adulthood (going from innocence to experience).

#14 LOVE - plot involves the Protagonist overcoming the obstacles to love that keeps them from consummating (engaging in) true love.

#15 FORBIDDEN LOVE - plot involves Protagonist(s) overcoming obstacles created by social mores and taboos to consummate their relationship (and sometimes finding it at too high a price to live with).

#16 SACRIFICE - plot involves the Protagonist taking action(s) that is motivated by a higher purpose (concept) such as love, honor, charity or for the sake of humanity.

#17 DISCOVERY - plot that is the most character-centered of all, involves the Protagonist having to overcome an upheavel(s) in their life, and thereby discovering something important (and buried) within them a better understanding of life (i.e., better appreciation of their life, a clearer purpose in their life, etc.)

#18 WRETCHED EXCESS - plot involves a Protagonist who, either by choice or by accident, pushes the limits of acceptable behavior to the extreme and is forced to deal with the consequences (generally deals with the psychological decline of the character).

#19 ASCENSION - rags-to-riches plot deals with the rise (success) of Protagonist due to a dominating character trait that helps them to succeed.

#20 DECISION - riches-to-rags plot deals with the fall (destruction) of Protagonist due to dominating character trait that eventually destroys their success.

BTW are there some place with plot summaries of the Superman comics? That would be a good starting point because it has always been hard to create a challenge for a semidivine being.

This was very well done in the series IMO, many plots revolved around attacking Superman's values and trying kill his characters rather then his person(something that is just about impossible.)
I would suggest that you try to avoid kryptonite. That is hard. Notice that not even the collective brainpower of Hollywood can create a plot that isn't dependent on the substance.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Wow . . . Thanks for posting that list!

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard