Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pelican Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, so I know I will probably get zero responses to this one, but I have to try. And some of you may wonder why on earth I'm not posting this in the Off Topic folder, but it *does* have something to do with an L&C fic... sort of.

Oh yes, my point. I'm working on a few projects right about now, and I have run into this problem, for which I can only blame myself. I was driving home the other night from the hospital, and it was almost four in the morning, after staying there for more than six hours. Granted, I was exhausted, tired and hungry, and could barely keep my eyes on the road, plus I had a grandma in the backseat who was simply unable to stop talking - she does that when she's worked up, and worked up she was after being at the hospital for so long, and now finally being able to come home with us.

So, I couldn't have the radio on, at least not that loudly. But when Grandma stopped talking for a full minute, I took a chance and turned it back on. Thirty seconds later she starts again, and I do my best to keep up a conversation.

And then this song comes on - beautiful, beautiful piano intro, a stunning melody, and as the lyrics go on, I think, "This is it!!! This one fits perfectly with this..thing I'm working on!"

Unfortunately I could barely make out every other word, and I remember so few of them. I had to keep my eyes on the road, and I could not tell my grandma to sit still for a minute either, just so I could figure out what song it was.

So here is what I got:

It's a piano intro. Beautiful melody.
Male singer.

I got these lyrics, completely out of order:

"Look in(to) my eye(s)"
"Look at my feet"
"Behind the/my mask"

I think "angel" is mentioned somewhere...

Also, I got the impression that the man was talking about this woman who was unable to see the devil that he was behind the mask... And he mentioned "she" a lot, i think. If the mask is a metaphor or not, I don't know. I *could* be wrong, of course, but that was what I got from catching maybe one word in each verse.

I know, so little to go on! So I'll be very, very surprised if I even get a single reply to this.

So, the BIG question: Do you know what song it is?

I've tried searching the web, but all I ended up with were lyrics to heavy metal songs!

Thanks in advance,
Pelican smile going on cat

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Do you remember the radio station?

MAF

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Maria's got a good thought. The radio station might help narow down searches a bit - do they play contemporary music? From America? UK? Etc...

Also, radio stations sometimes have a play schedule online. Your best bet might be to call the radio station itself and try and describe the song to them, even hum the melody you heard or something.

Wish I could help more!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wild stab in the dark, but... talk of masks, an "angel," and beautiful harmonies makes me wonder...

Click here , then scroll down to listen to the samples. Any of that seem possible?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When I read the lyrics, I thought they sounded very familiar. Then I tried Paul's link to the Phantom of the Opera. I'm pretty sure you heard something from that musical. Try this link:

phantom-of-the-opera-lyrics

Here's the lyrics to the Phantom of the Opera song from the same musical. Many of the lyrics from the musical have similar words.

Phantom Of The Opera Lyrics

Christine:
In sleep he sang to me
In dreams he came
That voice which calls to me
And speaks my name
And do I dream again?
For now I find
The phantom of the opera is there,
Inside my mind

Phantom:
Sing once again with me
Our strange duet
My power over you
Grows stronger yet
And though you turn from me
to glance behind
The phantom of the opera is there
Inside your mind

Christine:
Those who have seen your face
Draw back in fear
I am the mask you wear

Phantom:
It's me they hear

Both:
My/Your spirit and my/your voice
In one combined
The phantom of the opera is there
inside my/your mind

Chorus:
Is that the phantom of the opera?
Beware the phantom of the opera

Phantom:
In all your fantasies you always knew
That man and mystery

Christine:
Were both in you

Both:
And in this labrinth
Where night is blind
The Phantom of the opera is here/there

Christine:
Inside my mind

Phantom:
Sing, my Angel of Music!

CHRISTINE
He's there,
the Phantom of the Opera . .

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pelican Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I wasn't in my own car, so I actually have no idea what station it was - I just turned up the volume! And my brother, owner of the car, changes the stations as often he changes his own socks...

Lol!! Yes, it does remind you of the story of the phantom of the opera, doesn't it? But no, if that was it, I'd *know* it... /me looks at her Phantom mousepad, Phantom broadway sign, Phantom frames, Phantom films, Phantom CDs.. that, and a *lot* of stuff from Les Mis and Cabaret.. yeah, big fan of musicals wink I know that music by heart!

Thanks for trying, guys! sloppy

Pelican

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, that's why I figured it was a long shot. THought maybe somehow you wouldn't have the movie soundtrack CD.

Oh well.

Hmm...

Could it be Fleetwood Mac\'s "Behind the Mask" ?

I think that's all I've got for now. Maybe I'll think of something else to try later.

One thing - "feet" seems odd. I keep wondering if it could be "face" instead.

One other suggestion. Worked for me once before when I was having trouble finding an obscure song I'd heard in a restaurant. Try posting your query at the Lyrics World "What Song Is This?" Forum . Someone there may well know.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
From what I saw, Fleetwood Mac may be the answer to your question.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Pelican,
I was just about ask for you. Are you still into the video business? I always enjoyed your taste in music, love ballads and country were never my things.
I have a whole bunch of nice dramatic instrumentals from films and games that I would enjoy seeing in vids.

Would you be interested?

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Pelican Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow, sorry for the late reply - I appreciate all the effort you guys put into this, thank you!!

Unfortunately it's not Fleetwood Mac, either. I've heard that song before, and "beautiful" and "slow" and "tender" and all that, are not words that describe that particular tune very well wink

Ah well.. no choice but to hope i'm lucky enough to hear it again sometime.

Pelican,
I was just about ask for you. Are you still into the video business? I always enjoyed your taste in music, love ballads and country were never my things.
I have a whole bunch of nice dramatic instrumentals from films and games that I would enjoy seeing in vids.

Would you be interested?
Hi, Arawn smile

*Yes*, definitely interested! I admit this was the reason I asked aboutt his song in the first place: now that I finally could afford a new computer, I'm slowly getting back into editing smile

Send me an email, and we'll talk smile

Warmly,
Pel

Susan Kay
Pelican Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, how I laughed when I *finally* figured out what song it was... laugh

First of all, thank goodness it was a brand new song, otherwise I would have risked never hearing it on the radio again. So I managed to hear it a few more times, and *still* no results came up when I searched the lyrics. But that's what to be expected when the single isn't even released yet, I guess.

So, I have a feeling a certain someone, coughSaracoughSorchacough, will kill me for even mentioning someone related to this "devil concept" <g>, but it turned out to be Aleksander With with the song "The Other Side" - winner of Norwegian Idol 2006... peep

I would have *never* guessed that, even when I really liked his smash hit that was released earlier this year, "A Little Too Perfect", but he sounded really different... okay, Sara, I'm sorry, but...he's kind of cute. Right? wink

If anyone's curious about the song - after going through this much trouble over it - you can hear a preview at www.aleksanderwith.com

Again, thank-you, guys, for trying - I'm sure someone would have nailed it had it not been a Norwegian artist, and if the single had actually been released.

Pel smile

Susan Kay
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
lol, wow.

Glad you managed to find it.

That's kind of funny, really.

Gee, no wonder we were having trouble turing it up... laugh

Paul

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard