Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I thought I had a really neat idea where I'm separating sections of the story in the same sort of way they do in the comics. You know, when they have a lil box that says "Meanwhile..." at the top of the panel?

But I have a big problem now... I could only come up with a short list of these and I need more. frown I went to check some of my old comic books, but they all seem to be using "Meanwhile..." repeatedly. I don't want to repeat all the time.

I've got:

- Meanwhile...
- Shortly after...
- During that time...
- At the same time... (see, I'm already being repetitive!)

...and now I'm stuck. frown

help

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
How about "in the meantime"?

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think you may think you are being repetitive, but you probably really aren't. Just make sure you read back through your story and take a few out as needed. Sometimes, they aren't needed at all.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I agree. I think even using 'meanwhile' could be made different by adding a little to the end. For instance, 'Meanwhile in another part of town..' or 'Meanwhile in Lois' apartment'.

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Just make sure you read back through your story and take a few out as needed. Sometimes, they aren't needed at all.
No, no... I don't want to take them out. I'm doing it on purpose. smile I mean it to have that "comic book" feeling. Some sections - where the villain comes into play - start with "Meanwhile..." and "At the same time..." and I really want it that way.

You'll understand when I start posting this story. smile (but I won't just yet, because I have let comments change the course of 2 of my stories already and ended up with endings I wasn't completely happy with - so I am *not* doing that with this one!!)

For instance, 'Meanwhile in another part of town..' or 'Meanwhile in Lois' apartment'.
Hadn't thought of that. (Duh! wink ) Thanks for the idea.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I only meant go back and remove it if you could go without it. If it's intentional then you definitely don't want to remove it. smile

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My personal favorite would be "Meanwhile, back at the ranch...". Not sure where I got it, though.

Depending on your style, you could get a little silly with these. "Meanwhile, unbeknownst to our heros (but knownst to you the reader)..." goofy

More boring options would be geographical notes. "Across town..." or "In Kansas..." or whatever.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
My personal favorite would be "Meanwhile, back at the ranch...". Not sure where I got it, though.
Hehe smile Yeah, I hear that one a lot, actually. According to the Urban Dictionary, it probably came from old westerns or something like that...

BTW, if you happen to visit that website, check out the entry for "Clark Kent job" -- I find it particularly funny! I'd post a link to the place, but I don't know if it's acceptable because a lot of the entries there are... well... rated above PG13...

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hehe [Smile] Yeah, I hear that one a lot, actually. According to the Urban Dictionary, it probably came from old westerns or something like that...
Interesting. I've been using this one for years in general conversation and it never occurred to me to wonder where it came from, till now.

My best guess would be those old western weekly cinema serials or western TV shows. It doesn't seem right for movies, but you never know!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well.... I *had* to go and look for information about this, now! So I made my fingers do a little bit of walking and this is what I found.

The "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on Files, New York, 1997) says: "meanwhile, back at the ranch. An expression that originated as a movie caption in the silent film era at the beginning of the century, these words are used humorously today when someone wants to get back to a story after going off on a tangent."

From "Listening to America" by Stuart Berg Flexner (Simon and Schuster, New York, 1982): "Subtitles. Silent films required some dialogue or explanatory words, which beginning around 1907, appeared on separate frames at appropriate places in the story. These were called captions until around 1913, then were called 'screen titles' or 'subtitles.'.Before 1913 they were not even written for individual movies but were often taken from a limited supply of stock rolls, so that certain subtitles were used over and over as, 'That night,' 'A year has passed,' and 'Wedding bells.' At least two of these stock subtitles from silent films entered the general language as cliches and are still in use: 'Comes the dawn' (originally written to be used literally) and 'Meanwhile, back at the ranch'.The nickelodeon could also use such stock frames to make announcements to the audience, the best-remembered such line, thrown upon the screen before the movie started, being: 'Ladies, we like your hats, but please remove them, with the men being advised: 'You would not spit on the floor at home. Do not do it here.' "

There 'ya go. I couldn't let this go, I can't stand unanswered questions, they drive me nuts. wink

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Now, see that makes sense. Cool!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard