Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#151730 08/13/06 03:29 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I've read a few fanfics where Lois and Clark watch the Princess Bride together or at least maek some reference to the movie and I've read at least one where it said that that was Clark's favorite movie. Was this mentioned in the show and I just missed it or do alot FoLCs just happen to think that naturally Clark and/or Lois would like this movie?

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
#151731 08/13/06 03:55 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've read at least one where it said that that was Clark's favorite movie.
According to the comic books, Clark's favorite movie is "To Kill A Mockingbird". That's what they always say it is. Now, I don't remember a mention of a favorite movie on L&C, but I would think they would probably have picked the same if they had mentioned one.

I believe I've read a story in the archive which mentioned the Princess Bride, but I'm not sure if it was established that it was a fav movie of Clark's.... Memory is definitely not that good.

It may be one of his favorites, it's possible. smile And anyway, in my opinion, if you want that to be his favorite, then just go with it - it's fiction "based on" a character, it doesn't have to be exactly 100% the same as the character. They did get stuff wrong on L&C, compared to the comic books, so I mean... really... it's not a big deal. smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#151732 08/13/06 04:28 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I believe this all stemmed from an interview with Dean Cain where *Dean* said one of his favorite movies was the Princess Bride.

After he mentioned that, then there were some fics written that included that as *Clark's* favorite movie.

I could be wrong, but that's what I remember reading about.

-- MR

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#151733 08/14/06 12:53 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yup, MR is right. It was cited as one of DC's favourites in an interview and thereafter some authors couldn't resist making it Clark's favourite, too. smile

Especially, I think, as from talking to various FoLCs over the years, it seems to be a big favourite among them, too. And, of course, the plot-line lends itself to a romantic evening. (I think. I have to confess here that although I've tried watching TPB several times its appeal continues to elude me. wink )

I believe at one point DC also said one of his favourites was The Bear - but I can't recall that ever working its way into a fanfic. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#151734 08/14/06 02:17 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have to confess here that although I've tried watching TPB several times its appeal continues to elude me.
Well, you're not the only one... I don't get what all the fuss is about either. ;-)

I would guess this is a "guy flic". I never really enjoyed it, but I know my boyfriend loves it and I have several other male friends who do too. In fact, I remember back when we used to play Dungeons & Dragons (hey, I'm 100% geek!) the guys I played with never missed a chance to quote one of the characters who constantly repeats "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." -- I really don't get what all the fuss is about, I swear... LOL!

(edit: OMG, this is post #42 for me. Life, the universe and everything. Wooo! *lol*)

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#151735 08/14/06 03:04 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I've never been able to see it the whole way through. Whenever it is on cable- which it has been quite often in the UK recently- I only ever catch the beginning or the end.

The funny thing is, it strikes me more as a girls film than a guys. Maybe it's just me. huh lol

#151736 08/14/06 03:12 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The funny thing is, it strikes me more as a girls film than a guys. Maybe it's just me.
Well, certainly all the FoLCs I've known who adore it have been female (and I'm sure some of them will post and tell us what amuses them about it <G>), but not sure that counts for anything much.

Nice to hear I'm no longer alone in my opinion though. Never met anyone who agrees with me on this before. WTG! goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#151737 08/14/06 03:13 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Seems to me I remember reading a story here where Lois complained or said she would not watch The Bear again. So I believe that people pick up on what Dean says then incorporate it into the stories.

#151738 08/14/06 03:32 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
LOL. It always strikes me as a nice touch when writers add personal details from the actors/characters into shows/fictions.

#151739 08/14/06 03:49 AM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Clark is a romantic.In the "Princess Bride"he might find the disguised hero's love for the strong willed fair lady story line personally appealing.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
#151740 08/23/06 03:18 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Everyone in my family, male and female, loves The Princess Bride. I thought it was a classic the first time I saw it. Maybe it helped that I had read the book, which claims to be a shorter version of a long novel, stopping abruptly from time to time to leave out all the boring descriptions and "mushy" parts. It is wonderfully tongue-in-cheek. The movie has the same tone, poking fun at the old swashbuckling, Errol-Flynn-type movies while staying true to the overall romantic tone and message. I don't see how anyone could NOT like it, especially the type of fan who likes Lois & Clark! My 14-year-old daughter just proudly bought a shirt with the "My name is Inigo Montoya" quote on it, and it's one of her favorite shirts.

#151741 08/23/06 03:58 AM
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
Princess Bride is one of my favourite movies ever, since I was a little girl.

I didn't know that Dean liked it too, and I dont remember having seen references to it in fanfics, but I'm not surprised that authors used it in fanfics: Wesley reminds me a lot of Clark's character. He is SO in love with a bad tempered woman that he can forgive her everything, and he can do absolutely anything for her. And when she is in trouble, he came to save her with another identity (seems familiar, doesn't it?). Oh, and the woman almost married the bad guy... It seems normal to me that FoLCs love that movie! goofy

#151742 08/23/06 09:04 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Being a manly man who is certain and confident in his manliness, my manly opinion of "The Princess Bride" is -

I like it! I love it! I want some more of it!

<Ahem> We have the special edition on DVD with interviews of the cast members and some background information on the book. And, according to the author of the book we know as "The Princess Bride," there really is a Florin and many of the events of the narrative allegedly written by S. Morgenstern are claimed to be history. Me, I don't know about that, but I do know the whole thing is charming, and I can't see Clark disliking it. In fact, he probably has the DVD special edition in his collection, too.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#151743 08/23/06 09:13 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Being a manly man who is certain and confident in his manliness, my manly opinion of "The Princess Bride" is
Hah! Terry you crack me up. I almost laughed out loud in my cubicle. I had to bite down on my lip.

Ahem.

I love this movie. Definitely in my top 20. I saw it when I was in the 5th grade and had to miss the last half hour because my parents picked me up from school early - we were going to Disney World.

I remember bugging my parents the whole time we were on vacation to please, please, please rent it and let me finish watching it when we got back. blush

It's just one of those movies that, if it's on TV and I'm flipping through, I'm going to stop and watch it (at least some of it) and of course I own the DVD. laugh

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#151744 08/23/06 01:57 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
My best friend absolutly loves the Princess Bride-she's seen it at least ten times. She made me watch it, and I thought it was really weird, and a bit too dramatic. But it does seem a lot like Lois and Clark when you think about it- The guy wears an eye mask if I remember right- like Clark in Soulmates? I think it was. There's lots of other parallels too. Both of them are really dramatic, action, romances. So why wouldn't Clark like a show like his own?

Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment. ~Robert Benchley
#151745 08/28/06 02:00 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
if your friend has only seen it 10 times, she is no where near as big as a fan as me, or my sis]

in fact my whole family loves it to the max...

its got romance,
comedy
adventure
heart wrenching... tear jerking sorrow and pain
illness and death/aging
gruesome gore
a cute guy, and an incredibly beautiful gal
in an exquisite wedding dress (the basis for my sis's design of her wedding dress)
the loving grandfather
and great characters, with rea emotions... without making ou puke from the hyped up acting fit for a high school play...

all in all it is one of the best films ever
as it appeals to everyone... potentially

i sort of grew up on it in a way... as oposed to most pop culture

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#151746 08/28/06 02:19 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I saw it when I was in the 5th grade and had to miss the last half hour because my parents picked me up from school early - we were going to Disney World.

I remember bugging my parents the whole time we were on vacation to please, please, please rent it and let me finish watching it when we got back. [Embarrassed]
LOL. Reminds me of my experience with The Swan Princess. It's a cartoon feature (not Disney, but equal if not surpassing anything they've done, imo), but has great characters, humour, romance (based loosely on Swan Lake), a hero and heroine you can believe in, and some great songs.

I first saw it when I was babysitting my young niece. She wanted to watch it, I was glad for something that kept her quiet for a couple of hours...you know the drill. laugh

And I was hooked. Absolutely enthralled. And, of course, Mum and Dad came home before it was done and I really, really wanted to know how it ended, but was too embarrassed to admit I was loving a kid's movie. <G>

Made Stuart buy me it for Christmas though. goofy And have spent many happy hours with it since. It just appeals to my mushy little heart. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard