Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#151300 07/20/06 12:41 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
ok, so i dont know if this goes here or not......

but the episode scripts linked on the main page have some serious problems....

mainly pages being cut and pasted in odd places, repeated pages, repeated sections which are out of sinc. etc.....

maybe somebody should look at it....

it drove me craaaazy
wallbash

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#151301 07/20/06 02:16 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Which scripts did you find problems on, beethoven? Let us know so we can check them out. Thanks.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#151302 07/20/06 02:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beethoven, that's the way the scripts are - if you read the commentary at the top of each script, it'll tell you that some pages and sections are repeated. Sometimes the repeated page is a little different, sometimes not.

I'm sorry if it "drove you craaaazy", but these are the scripts exactly as given to the production crew. So you'll just have to be a little patient when reading them. wink

Wendy
Boards Admin Team

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#151303 07/20/06 03:03 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
particularly seasons 3 and 4 (but those are my favs so i read them most)

it is sort of like jumbled up scenes and stuff, with some repeated, and some really bad cut and paste jobs

if that is really how the production crew read them.... i dont know how the actors/crew coped....

check out 4.19 to see what i mean.... others were like this too (i cant name them all)

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#151304 07/20/06 05:18 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I can't see anything in 4.19 out of the ordinary, beethoven. I wondered if it was just the typical script format you were talking about in your previous post and it does seem to be.

As Wendy says, this is the way TV scripts are. This kind of repeated text is common. Remember that TV scripts undergo several drafts before they reach the screen. Changes to scenes are constantly being made and are reflected in new script drafts. Each draft has its own colour - can't remember what the sequence is now - so that actors/crew can tell which is the latest and changes continue right up until the eleventh hour sometimes. So it's not surprising really that you get little bits of repeated scenes and sometimes two or three variations within a scene all together, where the previous draft remains after the change has been made.

Remember the production crew have to get an hour of TV show out in a very short space of time. So they don't have time to make sure everything is typed up exactly right in a script. Especially when you have 30 minutes to get a last minute change typed up, copied several times, and get it back to the set so it can be filmed. It's a wonder it's coherent at all, to be honest. laugh

I believe that the scripts we have on the forum aren't always the last draft - some may be early drafts, others later ones. So some will be rougher than others.

But nothing has been done to them at this end, no changes have been made to the text, other than them being formatted. They've simply been uploaded as is, in their original, studio form.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#151305 07/20/06 08:41 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
thanks guys, now i understand why i may see the senes jumbled up....

when i first read the scripts i thought they were transcriptions from what happened on the final tv version, but now i see that they were orriginals....

do you know where i could find any final drafts/coppies which would be easier to read

#151306 07/20/06 11:51 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LNC scripts are thin on the ground out there, I think.

Why don't you copy the scripts to your hd as text files, then delete/clean up the text yourself? That way, next time you read them, they'll be in a format to best suit you. smile

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#151307 07/25/06 01:43 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Why don't you copy the scripts to your hd as text files, then delete/clean up the text yourself?
If you sat down with the DVD of an episode and the script you might enjoy working your way thru them and even adding comments.

A Star Trek FanFic writer that I've read stated that they sat down with the close caption logs and the dvd and would work on creating a base text that had all the lines and a description of the on screen movements, costume and so forth.

Patrick

Framework4

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard