Print Thread
G
gerry Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
G
I just read this article .

I would call the artlcle a look at Superman Returns below the A plot and the B plot. It's an examination of the man who wears the suit. In that way, it is very much like what we try to look at in our fanfic.

I found it interesting that Pevere looks at Superman's isolation and responsibilities as a superhero in the same way as some of our best fanfic writers look at him. Pevere's view of Lois Lane, though, that is very different from ours. Our Lois is Clark and Superman's partner, and his sounding board.

What Pevere needs to do is look at our fanfic to find what he is realy looking for.

Anyway, I thought you'd find this article interesting. I did.

gerry

G
gerry Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
G
I don't know why, but you have to scroll down half the page before you get to the article.

g

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Definitely a very readable article, gerry. Although I think that most FoLCs will agree that if the Superman mythos is to develop in this direction - if he is going to be stuck in his role as the aloof protector of humanity, isolated from the people of the Earth and from Lois Lane, too - then I think that most of us won't find him too interesting in the long run. Of course, nothing can erase the LNC:TNAOS show!

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I think this subject is fascinating. Personally I don’t understand this aloof Superman watching over earth. I never get the point of the nerdy Clark Kent, why the secret identity?

Now I liked Dean Cain’s Superman because he is portrayed as an ordinary guy gifted with godlike powers. He is more concerned about fitting in then relishing in the things he could do.
Superman is created because his conscience forces him to help people when it’s so easily within his powers. But he don’t really want the adoration that reminds him that he is different. He don’t want people to be scared about him either so he get a funny suit and smiles a lot.
Like most humans he wants what he can’t have in his case an ordinary life. The ordinary life is also important because it stops him going crazy. If you could do anything with impunity it’s pretty likely that you would cease to care and simply indulge in it. And that is Superman’s greatest fear and that’s way he fights so hard to be Clark Kent. Because really he is neither. His work, His adopted family, his friends and his love for Lois sustain the illusion that he has restraints.

Now many people don’t like Dean’s Superman because he lack the the alooness, the lonely majesty, the quiet confidence in his powers that surrounds the superman of the movies. I don't get the appeal except possibly nostalgia.

L&C was the first on screen adoption of Byrnes post-crisis version of Superman
With Clark as the real person and Superman as the disguise. As I understand it they made this change to make him more interesting, suggesting that the Robocop superman wasn’t what people wanted. Presently in the comics he is a happily married family man right? Yet Hollywood seem to think that the pre-crisis Superman is what sell tickets. I suppose the continuity from the earlier movies work with that, but I still think they get further by making him more human.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Features Writer
Features Writer
I think it points to two groups of people. Those who want a "safe" character that will always meet expectations versus a more variable, realistic character. Number one works with kids and with some adults, number two is more for adults. Obviously they'll try to hit the larger market.

Of course the actual show Lois and Clark counter this since it appealed to a wide variety of people (children, adults, etc), but then again it can be argued that it's being a tv show and lacking the budget of a movie forced it to go for more complicated characterizations. I mean just think of all the stupid things movies get away with just because they can lure people in with special effects.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard