Chaos Revisited

Part 7

Jimmy hung up the pay phone. Suddenly he sensed someone watching him. Quickly, he spun around, but saw nothing.

"I must be getting paranoid," he muttered to himself.

"A little paranoia is healthy," said a feminine voice from the shadows. "It keeps you on your toes."

Jimmy groaned as he realized that he had been followed by Mystique. His undercover stint was over.

"How exactly did you find out about our plan?" she asked, still hidden.

"I had a vision," he admitted. "Look, can we talk about this before you try to kill me? The Sentinels have to be stopped because they're going to turn on you. If Magneto lets them loose, they will hunt down and destroy every sentient being on Earth. I saw it happen, Mystique. I saw everyone die."

"You must have seen the possibility," she replied, "but that doesn't mean it's going to happen."

"My visions haven't been wrong yet. Why is Magneto taking such a huge risk? Doesn't he know this could happen?"

"He's not stupid," she answered defensively. "Don't underestimate him."

"Then why is he doing this?"

"Because he's willing to use any means necessary to bring down the X-Men." She wasn't going to tell him about the bigger plot -- that Magneto planned to gain control of New York and Metropolis, and use both cities as bases for his war against humanity. With the Sentinels under his command, he could destroy any superheroes who tried to fight him. The Brotherhood would eventually gain control over the entire United States, and then the world.

"He's insane!"

Mystique leapt out of the shadows and revealed herself. Her naturally bluish-black skin made her almost invisible in the darkness. She wore a tight-fitting, black leather outfit. Her yellow eyes gleamed in the streetlight's glow, appearing to be pools of fire.

"It's a pity that I'm going to have to destroy you. You've got potential, but you're working for the wrong side."

"You're the one who's on the wrong side," he answered.

Jimmy phased as she swung at him. Her fist connected with the telephone instead, causing her to curse.

"How do you think your normal human friends at the Daily Planet feel about you? They're afraid, that's how. They hate you for being different. They're probably jealous too, but they won't admit it."

He solidified behind Mystique and aimed a punch, but she dodged quickly. "You're wrong," he replied.

"Lois Lane and Clark Kent hate you," she continued as she aimed a kick.

Jimmy suppressed a laugh as he phased. He wondered what she would do if she knew that Clark was really Superman. It was a good thing that no one in the Brotherhood could read minds.

"You're wrong. Lois and Clark are my real friends," he answered.

"They hate you because you're a mutant. Can't you see it? Your only hope is to join the Brotherhood for real."

Jimmy phased as she spun around to kick him. "Never," he responded before disappearing into the shadows. This was a battle he couldn't win. She was more powerful and had more fighting experience. It was safer to retreat and stay alive.

"You'd better be careful, Jimmy Olsen. Your days are numbered," Mystique threatened before heading back to the base.

In downtown Metropolis, the doorbell woke up Clark Kent. Lois was snuggled up against him, still sleeping peacefully. He glanced at his alarm clock. The glowing red numbers said 1:10 am. Being careful not to wake up Lois, he pulled on a pair of jeans and found his glasses. Clark used his infrared vision to avoid running into things. He switched on the table lamp in the living room before he opened the door.

"Hey, CK." Jimmy was breathless, as though he had been running. He was in his Shade costume with the mask on. He also looked very frustrated. "Sorry about coming here so late."

"What is it?"

The younger man took a deep breath. "I screwed up. They found out."

Clark blinked in surprise as he realized this could only be about Jimmy's undercover assignment. "The Brotherhood?"

Jimmy entered the house and took off his mask. "Yeah. One of them followed me to a pay phone. I was trying to warn Peter Parker about the Sentinels. They're going to attack New York."

"What?"

Jimmy nodded. "Magneto is controlling the Sentinels. He wants to destroy the X-Men. So I warned Peter Parker, and then I found out that Mystique had followed me the whole way. She went back to warn Magneto." He looked mad. "I blew it, CK."

"Blew what?" Lois asked. She had woken up and put on a white robe over her light blue nightgown. She stood in the bedroom doorway.

"The assignment."

Clark shook his head. "You didn't blow it, Jimmy. From what it sounds like, you warned Peter just in time. Don't beat yourself up."

Jimmy sighed as he pulled off his mask "You're right. Man, I'm really sorry to wake you guys up."

"No problem," Clark answered. "Why don't you spend the rest of the night here? We'll find you an extra pillow and you can sleep on the couch."

"Good idea," Lois said. "The Brotherhood might decide to go after him anyway. At least, he'll be safe here."

"Thanks guys," Jimmy replied. "You're the best."

(Note: I will probably not get time to post any more before the long weekend, when I will be without Internet access. Sorry! However, if you really can't wait for the end, it's on my website.)

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2