Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
After reading Nan's post, I find myself wanting a definition of a deathfic so that I don't post one without a warning (assuming I ever write one). Here is a possible list to choose from.

1. A story where Lois and/or Clark die,
2. A story where any of the main characters die (ie, Lois, Clark, Martha, Jonathon, Perry, Jimmy)
3. A story where a recurring character dies (ie, Mayson, Dan, Ralph, Cat, Jack, etc)
4. A story where one of the goodguys die.
5. A story where anyone, including the bad guys, dies.
6. A story that focuses on death or uses the death as the focal point of the story.

I would have thought only number 1 would make a Lois and Clark story a death fic, but lately I've begun to question that hypothosis. Could someone please enlighten me?

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Columnist
Columnist
I think if it was me I would tend to only give a warning for numbers 1 and 2, but I'd be interested in what other people think, especially those who like to read such warnings. I'm one who doesn't like to have a warning, so I don't like to be the one to determine what should be warned against.

And here's another option for people to choose from:
7. A story where Lois or Clark *almost* dies and/or dies but comes back to life somehow.

~Anna

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I vote for number 2. I'm okay with minor characters dying, but I prefer when the main characters of the story stay alive, whether it be our usual slew of Planet employees, or other original characters the author has created.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
2 and 6 for me.

If a major character (in the show or the story) dies, and/or if the death of a character is a key/focal part of the story, I prefer to have a general (and relatively spoiler-free) head's up.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
S
SJH Online Content
Features Writer
Online Content
Features Writer
S
Death just isnt very attractive to me, so 5,6 and 7.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Columnist
Columnist
And what if I let Lois best girl friend get killed in an accident but you'll never get to know her best friend? Is a death fic?

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think there's a difference here in what 'officially' constitutes a deathfic as a genre and tastes in reading.

Officially, a deathfic is a fic where the main characters die. Not almost die. Not die and then are miraculously ressurrected. But die. End of story. If the characters are alive at the end of the story, it's not a deathfic.

Minor, recurring or peripheral characters don't usually constitute deathfic either. And certainly very few villains make the genre. Although, there are probably exceptions to the rule there in some fandoms, where the villains have an exceptionally high status within the show.

Now, when it comes to what people like/don't like to read - that's a horse of another colour. And, of course, sometimes it's a matter of differing opinion as to just who is a main character in a show. Sometimes that's not cut and dried. Lois and Clark, of course, in our fandom. But Jimmy? Perry? Cat? Some would say yes. Some would consider them recurring or peripheral. As with most things in fandom, it's never that easy to draw a definitive line. wink

Often, I think, whether a particular reader is affected by a deathfic depends not on how important or otherwise a character was in the show, but how important that character is to them. How strong an emotional response they have to them.

Bobby Bigmouth, for example, couldn't be called a main character. But if a particular reader really, really liked him on the show, they might consider a story in which he dies horribly a deathfic, where someone else wouldn't.

I've been quite surprised by some of the answers here, so by the looks of things it's probably wise to include a warning if you're going to kill or almost kill off anyone in your story. Just to be on the safe side. laugh

With the proviso, of course, that you don't have a fundamental objection to warnings/spoilers in your story.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
ML, speaking from experience, you need at least one other option:

7. A story where Lois and/or Clark is already dead.

Yvonne smile

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard