Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hello everyone. Okay, I realize I could probably find this info somewhere but it will take me much longer than if I probe some of your brains, I'm sure. -- Okay, okay, so I'm being lazy. grovel

I have an idea for a story that is rattling around in my brain, and one thing I need to know for the story is: Where did Ellen Lane live after she and Lois' dad got divorced. Like when Lois was first working at the planet, where was she living? I always assumed it was somewhere a little ways away. She didn't seem to live in Metropolis, but I could be wrong (hope not though, I hope she lived in another city).

Do any of you know? Thank you in advance for your help! hail

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I think she lived outside Metropolis during the first season but it seemed after that she lived either near or in the city. Hopefully someone knows better than I do...

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I don't remember them saying specifically. I always got the impression that she was living in the Metropolis equivalent of Long Island.

LI is technically part of NYC (it's one of the five boros), but (depending on where you were going, time of day, day of the week, etc etc) it'd take about an hour to get there from Manhattan (what most people consider to be The City). It also strikes me as exactly the sort of place someone like Ellen Lane would live. (Not that everyone who lives there is like that, mind you.)

Like I said, though... That's just my impression. I don't remember any specifics, and a quick glance through a few ep scripts didn't turn up anything useful. Still, I could easily have missed something.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't think it was ever really established where Ellen lived during the series - so you can probably make up anything that your little hear desires. <g>
Although in Season 1 it did seem like she may have lived somewhere other than Metropolis. Lois was never exactly close to her mother, so it's not like we'd expect her to pop by for visits regularly. But in "All Shook Up" Lois mentioned that they got the whole family on the phone - you'd think she actually physically go to see her mother if she were in the city and there was a big rock hurtling towards the earth. wink And during her wedding to Luthor it kinda seemed like her mom had just shown up for the wedding and not been around during any of the planning or anything.
But later on, like Season 3 it seems like she was more around and accessible - like in "Home Is Where the Hurt Is", seemed like her mom was right there in town and expecting Lois to have Christmas with her.

Don't really know though, just me wildly speculating. <g>

Jill goofy

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
In I Now Pronounce You both the Kents and the Lanes were supposed to be staying at the hotel that was overbooked (The Diamond according to the scripts), so they ended up staying with Lois and Clark (I think--admittedly, I haven't watched that episode too often for reasons I'm sure I won't have to go into). Would they stay at a hotel if they lived close by?

Then again, in Never On Sunday, Ellen was in Metropolis, taking over the planning of L&C's wedding. However, that episode came right after HIWTHI, so one could fanwank that she was just staying in Metropolis for a week or two after Christmas.

Personally, I think the writers had no idea where Ellen and Sam lived and so their homes varied depending on what was convenient for the plot.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Okay great! Thanks everyone. That was basically all I could come up with as well. The episode "All Shook Up" was what I kept referring back to. I kept thinking that surely if her mother was only an hour or two away that they would have made the effort to get together.

For my fic I'm writing, I really need Ellen to be far enough away that if Lois went to live with her, she couldn't commute to the Daily Planet. She would have to make a choice - and this is before her career has really taken off. I know that may sound strange, (it's not really what it sounds like) but go with me on it. I think you'll find it interesting...I hope.

I'm still working on posting my other story - Help Not Wanted - for right now. This new story is merely an outline and three typed pages so far. So it will be awhile before I begin posting it - when I do post it though, the title will be "Remember Me".

Thanks again everyone!

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Columnist
Columnist
I don't remember them saying where she lived either. Or for that matter her father after the Boxer epiosde because obviously he lived in Metropolis then since he had an office there. In the Christmas episode where Clark is sick it seems like Ellen doesn't live in Metropolis. She uses the excuse that she has to cover for Clark to go to Smallville and is horrified when she finds out she lied because Martha and Jonathan came to spend it with Clark. She shows up and says surprise. If Ellen lived in Metropolis it wouldn't be any problem to get together after she got off work if Ellen lived within an hours drive.

I felt like after Lois' and Clark's missed first wedding that both Ellen and Sam moved back to Metroplis. This appears evident in the episode in Never On Sunday since Ellen is available to take over the wedding and again in the episode when they find out that Clark is Superman.

Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks for all the feedback on this, to everyone. I think I've come to a conclusion on this for the story I'm working on.

Most feel she didn't live directly in Metropolis. Maybe in a suberb or maybe closeby in another city. We of course don't know where Metropolis, New Troy is, but because of maps we've seen (when Clark flys somewhere) and because New Troy is so much like New Jersey or New York in name (but not the same). I think I'm gonna put her living in New York City.

That fits well for what I want to do. Especially since Lois will be working at another paper, I can put her at the Daily Bugle. goofy Fits in well with my scheme.

Thanks everyone!

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard