In my story, "Sara Lois Rose", Lois literally transforms Clark from an alien-looking Kryptonian into a beautiful human - and she does this twice. Does this make sense at all? Well, that up to you to judge wink , but at least I can say that I'm toying with certain ideas here. First of all, I'm assuming that Lois and Clark are the kind of soulmates to end all soulmates, and that their love is, well, almost stronger than the universe! smile

But let's start from the beginning, when baby Lois turns baby Clark into a human simply by mentally connecting with him. I'm using two ideas here. The first is the idea that when you are a baby you are totally open and unaffected, and you have no natural defences to shield yourself from strong outside influences. I'm assuming that at this age, you are mostly instinct-driven. So, if Lois and Clark were born to love one another, their most overwhelming instinct and need will be to reach out to each other. They will also instinctively try to mold themselves so that they can, literally, "fit" each other physically. Of course, this might easily have to led the transformation of Lois into a Kryptonian. But baby Clark instinctively knows that his people are doomed, and that he must adapt himself to Lois's world and Lois's species rather than the other way round.

It is indeed a fact that when we are babies, we are more malleable and adaptable than we will ever be again. I once saw a TV documentary about a teenage boy who as a baby had suffered from hydrocephalus, a condition that makes the brain fill up with liquid until the pressure from this liquid starts to destroy the brain cells. See this link for a picture of what happens:

Hydrocephalus

So this teenaged boy had had hydrocephalus when he was a baby, and he had almost died of it. Doctors just managed to save him by inserting a shunt into his brain. The boy recovered nicely and grew up to be perfectly normal. In the documentary, doctors X-rayed (or whatever) his brain to see how much of it had actually been destroyed by the liquid entrapped there during his babyhood. People, can you believe it? It turned out that ninety per cent of the boy's brain was missing. Gone! His brain was like a thin shell of grey matter, filled with - nothing! Or filled with something that was not proper brain tissue, that's for sure. So this is the point. This boy had lost 90% of his brain and still he had grown up to be perfectly normal, because his infant brain had been so incredibly adaptable that it had learnt to perform all normal human functions using only 10% of a normal human brain. But this was possible only because the boy had been an infant when he lost most of his brain.

I'm using the idea of the incredible adaptability of the infant brain (and body) to suggest that baby Clark would indeed spontaneously mold himself into a human when he had made contact with Lois. Please note, however, that Clark is in a state of suspended animation when this happens. I'm assuming that his body is extra malleable because it is in a sort of coma.

Later, Clark reverts to his Kryptonian shape because of a horrible attack on him. He is also once again in a state of suspended animation. But he is now an adult, and he is so much less guided by his instincts than he was when he was an infant. Therefore it is not enough for Lois to reach out to him mentally to make him human again. Instead, and particularly after their lovemaking (even if it was only dream-lovemaking), Clark needs Lois to reach out to him by physically touching him. But Lois could not go in to where he was kept a prisoner because of the deadly radiation in there. Sara Lois Rose could wake Clark up, but she could not give him back his human shape. But Clark finds himself in a state of suspended animation for a third time, and this time, Lois could wake him up by touching him. And, well, that did it! wink

Also, I'm toying a little with an idea from certain old religions and myths which says that a male deity can be woken up from the dead thanks to the intervention of a female deity. The most important example of this was probably found in the old Egyptian myth of Osiris and Isis. Osiris, the male god, died and was restored to life by his wife Isis. This myth was really very popular in the Roman Empire at the time of the rise of Christianity. Personally, I'd venture a guess that some Romans who embraced Christianity found it easier to accept the resurrection of Christ because of the fact that his resurrection is associated with the presence of Mary Magdalene. (Please note that I'm absolutely not saying that Mary Magdalene brought Jesus back to life, but I do believe that the fact that a woman seemed to be present at the time and place of his resurrection made it easier for some people to believe that it had really happened. Because I think it's safe to say that the majority of these first Roman Christians already knew of the myth of Osiris and Isis, and they were used to the idea that a woman could bring a man back to life.)

Of course I'm not saying that Clark and Lois are gods, don't get me wrong. But, well, in my story they are mythical characters, and I'm using the mythical idea of a special female life-force (strongly associated with love) to explain how Lois could not only wake Clark up, but also restore his human shape.

One last thought. Who or what is Sara Lois Rose? Well, in the end, when Lois gives birth to her in the waking world, she is clearly a normal child. But in her dream-incarnation, I'd say she is an independent manifestation of Lois and Clark's love. The main reason why she asserts herself is because Lois stays away from Clark after their dream-lovemaking. If Lois had accepted Clark immediately and sought him out right after their dream-encounter, I imagine she would have become pregnant for real with Clark's child soon afterwards, and Sara Lois Rose would have been born in the waking world as a normal child. Of course, if that had happened, it might have been impossible to save Clark from Jason Trask's trap.

As I said, I see Sara Lois Rose as a manifestation of Lois and Clark's love, and she asserts herself when Lois seems to deny Clark. She grows in strength as she grows older until she is strong enough to go out into the world as a sort of supernatural being who fights for her parents' love. But when Lois and Clark get together for real, and when Lois gets pregnant with Sara Lois Rose for real, then the supernatural aspect of Sara Lois Rose will disappear. Because when Lois and Clark direct their very strong love directly at one another, their love can't manifest itself as an independent supernatural being.

Well, I just generally wanted to explain this a little, since I do realize that my story is not exactly easy to understand!

Ann