Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#150549 04/25/06 02:17 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thanks for enlightening me, C_A! Wow, what a euphemism. "Oh, sugar" instead of s***. It can't be too frequently used, can it?

Ann

#150550 04/25/06 06:01 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, among (primarily) Southern women of a certain age, it's quite common.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#150551 04/26/06 12:54 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Years ago, I worked with someone who employed sugar all the time for that purpose. Can't say I've heard anyone use it lately in this neck of the woods, but it did used to be fairly common.

Nowadays, I think, profanity has become so much in common useage that most people of my generation would probably just say s*** and not think twice about it. It's become a fairly mild expletive, although not as mild as damn or bugger.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#150552 04/26/06 02:17 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
sugar is used quite commonly here in aus by at least my mothers generation (40-65 yr olds... she is 48)

those who grew up with the brady bunch (although she never watched)

another expression is:
Sugar, Honey, Iced Tea... an annogram for....
that is said as a way to change course after one finds one-self begining to pronounce S***... in orde to sound not so crass

i guess it works better when said then when written, so i wouldne use it much in a fanfic (perhaps martha or Jonathon would say it... ellen is too prim and propper to mutter any crass laguage and sam is too sophisticated i guess to need superlatives...

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#150553 04/26/06 06:45 AM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow. All this just because of one little scene that I wrote. I already knew I couldn't use it and keep the story PG. But I left it in because I suspected my beta readers would enjoy it (and they apparently did).

But Carol is right. It really doesn't work without the 'f' word - and the reason for that is because it really is the most inappropriate word in the English language laugh .

Of course, I end my innappropriate section with these paragraphs (I'll let the boards edit it for me laugh ):

“It’s okay,” Lois said, cutting him off. “It’s just... well, in the future you might want to run words like that past me. I mean, ML can’t even keep this section in the story since it’s rated pg-13. So you’ve got to watch what you say.”

“Oh.... oops. Sorry, everyone. I’m new here and don’t know the rules. I certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone.” He looked back at Lois. “So... what exactly does ‘****’ mean?” he asked.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#150554 04/26/06 03:59 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
If you're wondering about the origin of the F word, I found this page quite interesting.

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#150555 04/26/06 05:17 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What a Freaking interesting topic<g> Yes Freaking or Frickan is another way of not saying the F word. But I had no idea Bugger was a bad word. We usually use it to say something like "He is a cute little bugger" Not meaning he is a cute little Fu**er. I thought it was more like a bug as in cute as a bug. LOL Holy cow! You learn something new everyday over here<g> Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#150556 04/26/06 06:38 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Eh... ML.... Might I ask exactly who is asking Lois to enlighten him as to the meaning of ****?

Ann

#150557 04/27/06 08:08 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOL, ML!

Yvonne

#150558 04/28/06 04:25 AM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Might I ask exactly who is asking Lois to enlighten him as to the meaning of ****?
Sorry, Ann. I made very sure the section didn't say the name of the man. I figured that would give too much away about my latest story laugh .

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#150559 04/28/06 09:28 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
razz <sulks>

Well, hurry up and post your story then, hmmm, ML? hyper

Ann

#150560 05/14/06 09:01 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I agree with Laurach- calling a kid a little bugger either means they're squirmy and a tad annoying (won't sit still) but cute, they're imitating a parent or older sib in an adorable way ( "Just look at the little Bugger!" _____said proudly), or are just plain adorable- though I haven't really even heard it used lately.

Bloody isn't even a swear word over here- at least not really. I don't think I've ever really heard it spoken in a conversation- just in a movie or two.
I don't like the F word at all- but you hear it a lot in school- maybe around 8 times a day -(and my friends don't say it- so that's from overheard conversations, like at lunch when people talk too loud to be ignored.) so I've sorta become desensitized- it pretty much has no shock value anymore. I still won't use it though, and don't much like reading it- if I actually realize it's that word and not just a swear word in general- I've read it so much my mind really doesn't notice it- unless it's repeated a lot.

As to the thong/sandals- they're called flipflops here and the thong is what you call the plastic thing that goes between two of your toes- though I believe calling it that over here originated after the actual thong- we even have book thongs now (Bookmarks) named after it

Sh-- really has little impact. It's still a bad word so I don't use it, but people use it like it is a generic mild bad word. Unless someone's suprised, shocked, or in trouble and says oh s--- it's not used too much. It even seems to be phasing out a little here- people tend to use oh F--- instead. It's still pretty common in writing though- in stories I find on the internet- and it passes just fine though editors and moniters for kids to teens stuff.

Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment. ~Robert Benchley
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard