Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
I just offered to be someone's beta reader (and I already missed at least 2 grammatical errors), but I'm wondering what the job implies besides checking for grammar. Should I edit for rhythm and flow as well, or would that be encroaching on the author's style?

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
usually Beta readers check for spelling, grammar, flow and rhythm.

Should I edit for rhythm and flow as well, or would that be encroaching on the author's style?
I think that it wouldn't hurt to edit the rhythm or flow if it seems that the story is weak in thoses areas. But if you feel that you maybe encroaching on the author's style, just remind the writer that what you edit of the flow and rhythm of the story is purely you Opinion and they don't have use what you suggest if they don't want to. hope I helped

Lisa

Misha: I'm not a crackpot!

Martha: No dear, trust me, you are.
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Brace yourself for a long answer laugh

Knowing that you're working with a non-native English speaker, I think that the language-related aspect should be your first priority. This includes: grammar, spelling, syntax/awkward phrasing, correct use of vocabulary... Basically, you try to make everything sound as English (and even better, as US English) as possible - without altering the meaning the author wants to convey, of course. Phrasing and vocabulary are the most difficult to do; if a sentence makes you think 'well, it's not wrong, but we don't usually say that' do point it out, especially if it's in dialogue. If something looks confusing, suggest a way to clarify it; if it's so confusing you can't understand what it means, you should better ask for explanations - and, once you get it, suggest another way to phrase it. All these help make a story better without encroaching on the author's style.

Now - whether a story flows well or not doesn't only have to do with correct syntax and phrasing (although these things help, without a doubt) but also with other parameters that have to do with the 'construction' of the plot and the story in general. For example, you might think that 'that' way of closing the scene is a little abrupt, or that the description of a character's looks is too extensive and puts the reader off... stuff like that. Then there's also checking for out-of-character-ness and consistency with canon. If you're willing to go there, ask the author first. Some like to be advised on that (although often the borders between, say, 'in character' and 'out of character' are fuzzy, and the author might end up not following the advice), some don't.
(I think that if you find inconsistencies *within* the story, though, you should point them out anyway.)

Hope I've helped!
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
When I beta read for someone, I work on the same principles that my betas do for me. That is, I'll note down anything and everything that occurs to me - good or bad - while reading the piece. I'd much rather have a 'problem' pointed out to me by my beta than 20 readers after I post. laugh

So I work on the assumption that any author I beta for will want me to tell them if I see something that just doesn't work for me. Be it style, phrasing, characterisation, plot or anything else.

I do make sure, however, that anyone I beta for knows that anything I say is purely suggestion and that if they disagree they can ignore me at will. laugh (And, as my betas will testify to, I don't always listen to them, either. wink ) I just say what I see and after I send them back the file it's up to them what they take out of it and what they ignore. So long as some of it helps, I'm happy.

So no, don't think beta reading is all just about fixing typos. Part of the fun of beta reading for me through the years has been the comments and ideas that beta readers have come up with.

In my most recent story, for example - the one I wrote for the Fundraiser disk - two major plot details belong to my beta, CC. One of her ideas resolved a problem I had with the ending and brought the entire story to life for me and the other was a funny aside that I just couldn't resist adding in.

I've never written a beta'd story yet that didn't grow by a third or improve significantly thanks to comments and asides made by my betas as they read.

So, my advice would be to make sure an author knows in advance when you agree to beta for them that anything goes - you won't hold back on anything you think about the story as you read and will be entirely honest with them. Good or bad. If they're fine with that - have at it! Just make sure that you balance as much positive comment with any constructive criticism and be sure to be gentle when you need to point out something that doesn't work for you. smile

Oh and don't worry if you miss the odd edit. You can't be expected to catch everything. (That's what Archive GEs are for.) goofy

j/k. <g>

LabRat smile (who has a theory anyway that typos multiply like rabbits in the dark soon as you close down a file, thinking you've found all the pesky little critters)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
M
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
wow, that was fast! Thanks you all, you've been a lot of help. I'll think I'll be much better prepared for the next chapter.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto to Lab Rat said.

I pretty much let them know that I will comment on everything and give suggestions and let the author figure out what they want to keep and what they decide to not use.

And true, my stores have always improved with the help of a beta.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
Well, as the author, I have to say that I totally agree with all the advices they give you. That's exactly what I need.

Knowing that you're working with a non-native English speaker, I think that the language-related aspect should be your first priority. This includes: grammar, spelling, syntax/awkward phrasing, correct use of vocabulary... Basically, you try to make everything sound as English (and even better, as US English) as possible - without altering the meaning the author wants to convey, of course.
Yes, definitely the areas where I need more help.

I think that it wouldn't hurt to edit the rhythm or flow if it seems that the story is weak in thoses areas. But if you feel that you maybe encroaching on the author's style, just remind the writer that what you edit of the flow and rhythm of the story is purely you Opinion and they don't have use what you suggest if they don't want to.
Not a problem for me. It's very difficult for me to write in english, so I don't have a style (except if we count "not knowing to talk in enlish" as a style). So I won't even notice if you change my style because I'm not good enough in english for these literature things (and I don't know what flow is).

For example, you might think that 'that' way of closing the scene is a little abrupt, or that the description of a character's looks is too extensive and puts the reader off... stuff like that. Then there's also checking for out-of-character-ness and consistency with canon.
Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about in my mail with part 4 when I wrote to you "Don't hesitate to tell me if there's things you don't like, or if there's things you think would be better if I wrote them differently. I can rewrite the scenes that doesn't work well."

I'd much rather have a 'problem' pointed out to me by my beta than 20 readers after I post.
How true! When I posted my first story, "A Special Relationship", I was completely terrified that there was problem in the story that the readers will point to me in mass. It wasn't beta read, so I really didn't know what kind of reaction I'll get. I was lucky, I get exactly the reactions I hoped: everyone found my fanfic very funny, and many people said to me (on the boards or by mail) that it was the funniest thing they read in a long time. That was exactly what I wanted, so I was relieved, but when I first post it, I was so terrified I cried a little because of my nerves.

So no, don't think beta reading is all just about fixing typos. Part of the fun of beta reading for me through the years has been the comments and ideas that beta readers have come up with.

In my most recent story, for example - the one I wrote for the Fundraiser disk - two major plot details belong to my beta, CC. One of her ideas resolved a problem I had with the ending and brought the entire story to life for me and the other was a funny aside that I just couldn't resist adding in.
Yes. I agree again. Actually I have an experience of this kind too. One of the first L & C fanfic I worked on (still unfinished - but that was one of my firsts ideas for fanfic - and I'm still working on it when my muse is okay with it) had majors plot problems. But I was lucky enough to have Kaethel accept to help me discuss the story. She told me she didn't have time to beta read for me, but she was willing to help me construct my story. I've sent her a very long and detailed summary of the fanfic I wanted to write - and she pointed to me everything that was wrong on the plot, and suggested many things. I kept some - I refused others. One of her suggestion even permitted me to resolve the biggest problem I had with my story (and not a little problem: how would I do with Clark persona?) She asked me too a lot of questions on things I hadn't considered. She made me really think. And because of her intervention, when I'll finish and post this story, that will be a MUCH better story than what I would have done all by myself.

you won't hold back on anything you think about the story as you read and will be entirely honest with them.
Definitely the most important thing. smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When I beta, I pretty much point out anything I notice. Some of it's grammar, some of it's phrasing or characterization or plotting... some of it is off-the-wall "hey, that reminds me of..." stuff. But if I point out something that I think should be changed, I'll say so, and I always try to have an alternate suggestion -- just to illustrate what I'm trying to say. At no point do I assume that the author *must* do what I say or it means they don't love me anymore goofy

One thing I noticed in this thread...

Should I edit for rhythm and flow as well, or would that be encroaching on the author's style?
Definitely point it out and make suggestions. "I love what you're going for here, but I think maybe it would work better if you arranged it *this* way instead..." You'll quickly get an idea of whether your suggestions are helpful to a particular author.

But definitely don't just go ahead and change it. Which probably isn't what you meant, but I thought I'd make sure smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard