Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tahu Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
hey

how long is highschool, college and university in America?

Highschool till you're 18? And then 3 years college? University 5 years?

In Germany you go straight to University after school.

Tahu

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
High school is four years.

College is traditionally four years as well for a bachelor's degree, but more and more people are taking anywhere up to six years to complete multiple degrees, or combination bachelor/master's degree programs. And of course there's graduate programs. It's really about how long you want to go for -- colleges won't really kick you out when you're paying them money unless you're also flunking dismally smile

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Tahu Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Thanks for your answer and university? You go there after College?

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Practically speaking, college and university are synonymous in the U.S. Going to college could mean going to a college *or* going to a university. The *actual* difference between the two is that colleges are narrower in scope. Colleges can be part of a larger university, or entities by themselves. To give you an example, I earned degrees from both the college of arts and sciences, and the college of engineering when I attended Virginia Tech, which is a university. However, I refer to the time I spent there as time I spent in college.

Confused yet? smile

Tahu Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
yeah I am confused. *smile*

Thank you so much. So after highschool you can go to University or college but you mustn't do both?

Clark went to University and Lois too? Lois in Metropolis and Clark to?

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
There isn't a both. College and University mean the same thing. ie: my daughter did 4 years of high school, 4 years of college, now going to another college for her masters. Both colleges have the name University in them but it is College.
I know it's confusing.

Clark went to a college in the State of Kansas.

Sue

Tahu Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
ok this is confusing but I get it finally. Thank you both.

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
In the sense that you're asking the question... college is university, and you attend it after high school. When an American says they went to college, there is no implied difference between a college and a university. College is the education you get after high school.

Tahu Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
thank you for your fast reply. I'm stuck in my story because I didn't how the whole thing is in America but I guess it isn't so different to Germany after all.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Okay, I'd like a little bit of enlightenment about American education, too! smile

So, okay, how old are you when you start school? Five? Six?

Is school for the youngest kids called elementary school?

How long does elementary school last?

How old are you when you start high school?

Is there anything between elementary school and high school?

How old are you normally when you go to college, provided you go there right after finishing high school?

I'd much appreciate the information. Thanks! smile

Ann

Features Writer
Online Content
Features Writer
So, okay, how old are you when you start school? Five? Six?
This can vary from state to state, depending on what the cut off for the school year is. In California, the cut off is that the child should turn 5 by December 2 of the year that he/she starts kindergarten, but parents have the discretion to delay their child's entry if they feel that they're not ready. So some kids are as young as 4 when they start kindergarten; some can have just turned 6 (although that's less common). If you want an average age, 5 would probably be right.

Is school for the youngest kids called elementary school?
Yes, regular schooling starts in elementary school, although many kids have already had 1-2 years at a nursery school or preschool prior to starting kindergarten.

How long does elementary school last?
Most elementary schools go from kindergarten to Grade 6, although some end at Grade 5.

Is there anything between elementary school and high school?
That is middle school or Junior High. It usually goes from Grades 6-8 or 7-8, depending on the school district.

How old are you when you start high school?
That would depend on how old you were when you started kindergarten. I think all high schools in the US are uniformly set at Grades 9-12, so if you were 5 when starting kindergarten, then you'd be 14 when starting Grade 9.

How old are you normally when you go to college, provided you go there right after finishing high school?
Following the previous example, a person would turn 18 during his/her senior year (Grade 12) of high school, and then start university that fall.

Hope this helps...

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thanks a lot, Kathy! Yes, it does. So different states have slightly different rules. No wonder I haven't been able to understand exactly how old kids are when they go to elementary school, middle school, high school and college, then!

Ann

Features Writer
Features Writer
And then you have people who choose not to go to college right away, or take classes here and there and work your way to a degree or whatever. Like me! =D Instead of college I joined the Army right out of highschool. I'm taking college classes when I can, and I hope to have some sort of degree by the time I get out. Then, according to my contract with the Army, I'll have a good amount of money to go to college with, and can go one to whatever's next school wise.

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That would depend on how old you were when you started kindergarten. I think all high schools in the US are uniformly set at Grades 9-12, so if you were 5 when starting kindergarten, then you'd be 14 when starting Grade 9.
Almost all. The local public school where I grew up had the middle school covering grades 7-9 and the high school covering 10-12.

I'm not sure why, but I suspect it had something to do with class size. Not only is NJ the most densely populated states in the country, but EBHS is one of the top public schools around. So, it's not uncommon for people to move into town to get their kids into a better school and then move to a neighboring town with lower taxes when the kids graduate.

I think there were about 800 people in my graduating class. With that many students, it makes sense to split things a little more evenly.

I'm not sure how common that is, though. I'm pretty sure that there are at least a few more schools that do the same.

On a completely different note, I'll just mention that "Elementary School" is sometimes called "Grammar School." The words are entirely synonymous. It just depends on region and personal preference.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Where I grew up, we didn't call it Middle School, we called it Jr. High School. And, like Paul's, my Jr. High was from 7 - 9, and then High School was 10 - 12. We also had over 700 in my H.S. graduating class, so that could well have something to do which the break-down of grades in each school.

As for college vs. university, I went to the State University of NY (SUNY), College at Oswego. The word "College" referred to the campus I went to, where classes were given to undergraduates (B.A. degree). "University" referred to the entire system, including colleges, graduate schools, research centers, etc. (Or to larger campuses within the SUNY system which included these elements.)

A community college is for 2 years. After graduating from a community college, many students continue their education at a regular 4-year college (or university). In that case, they only take the last 2 years, as their community college counts as the first 2.

Oh, and another name for elementary or grammer school is grade school. That's what we called it, anyway. smile

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
As Aria said, to an American, college and university are pretty much synonymous. The only difference that I can see is that College is part of a univeristy (The College of Arts and Sciences,) etc. An American, like I, would say "I went to college at Indiana University in Bloomington." I might also say I went to *a* university, but never to "University".

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Kerth
Kerth
My mom, a former university professor, would like to add that universities can grant Ph.D.s while schools that only call themselves colleges do not. In California, the community college system provides associate degrees and transfers to the university system after 2 years (designed to accept students with lower GPAs, students returning to education or taking classes slowly, and as a cheaper alternative to clear undergrad requirements). There are two university systems - UC and Cal State. According to the original master plan, California State University system was designed to educate working professionals (the original teacher colleges). The University of California system was designed to edcuate adademia - only UC schools have Ph.D. programs. Recently, the Cal State schools have tried to start Ph.D. programs, but they're only allowed to do so in collaboration with other universities. (But all of that is California only information, part of our state's master plan.)

Also, there is supposed to be a differnce between a middle school and a junior high school. Originally, most schools were K-8 or 9-12...there was nothing between elementary and high school. Then, to shield them from the older kids or for school size issues, they pulled the 7th and 8th graders into their own junior high schools, organized in the same way as typical high schools (6-7 periods where the students go to different teachers). However, people began to understand that pre-teens/young teens had unique characteristics and needs that weren't being met by this system (according to the famous book, they were "Caught in the Middle.") Junior highs continued to exist, but some schools were reorganized into middle schools, in which 7-8 grade students were put onto teams...they rotated among the same 4 core subject teachers. Those teachers could collaborate with each other, implement cross-curricular lesson plans, and meet as a team to help their shared students. Middle schools could also do things like reorganize the day into block schedules (2 hour blocks instead of 1 hour classes), and language arts/social science teachers could open their classroom walls and teach the two classes together. 6th grade was brought into the middle schools to transition those kids from a single teacher environment to one in which they had 2 core teachers, then rotated to PE/exploratory; this was designed to ease them into the multiple teacher system. But due to financing/class size/assorted reasons, many of the middle schools really just ended up being junior highs with a different name. In the last couple of years, some schools have gone back to K-8, but not many.

Susan (whose graduating class had 832 students at a 9-12 high school with an enrollment of over 3200, and who teaches at a 6-8 middle school with over 1500 students!)

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Tahu Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
oh my god this is so confusing.

In Germany kids go to kindergarten at the age of 3 till 6 then to school till they are 19. After the school you can go to University or start working and get an education.

Tahu

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I started school at 3. I went to a Catholic school (such a terrible school btw), and we had 2 years of pre-school before the K-8.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Guess I'll toss in my two cents' worth. When I started kindergarten (at age 5 because my birthday's in May), I lived in Kansas, and there were so many Air Force kids in the system that there that they had morning and afternoon classes which were completely separate. My mother stunned the enrollment board when she told them that her son was most definitely NOT a morning person, and could she please enroll me in afternoon classes? They people smiled and said, sure, no problem!

Turned out that nearly all the other parents (mostly mothers) were doing whatever they had to do to get their little darlings in morning classes, because most of them went down for a nap after lunch. I got the impression that some of the kids in the afternoon classes had parents who extremely unhappy about it.

I'm still not a morning person, by the way. But I'm getting better...

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard