Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I gave some fairly detailed instructions in another thread for getting onto IRC for the Kerths, but thought that there might be some other IRC newbies around who might not see it. So repeating here. wink

Go to www.mirc.com to download the program. Then, once you have it, double-click on the download to install it. You do have to do just a little bit of configuring along the way, but it's easy.

Here are a couple of images Elena made which might help.

[Linked Image]

Look at the box the arrow is pointing to. On your copy, make sure that you've picked an UNDERNET server. In the box above it - which says ALL in this image - you can actually set it to give you only undernet servers.

You do not have to put in your real name or email address - see what Elena did. You do need to choose a nick and an alternative nick. Once you've done that, click on the CONNECT TO IRC button.

You will then get a black window as IRC tries to connect you. Be warned: sometimes it may take a couple of tries, if IRC is busy or some servers are down. Don't worry about that or think you're doing something wrong - just be patient. smile Course, you may be lucky and get in first time. And then you will have this screen:

[Linked Image]

At this point, you're connected and you just need to join a channel. So in the box at the bottom you'll type the name of the channel you want to join. Elena is getting ready to join #loisclark. For the Kerths, you will type:

/join #kerthawards

You will also want to join the chat channel, so once you're in #kerthawards toggle back to your status screen (that's the screen you just typed in to join the awards channel) and type this:

/join #kerthchat

And that's all you need to do!

Now, if you want to practice IRC before the Kerths, you might like to come into #loisclark. There are generally people there in the afternoon and all evening US Eastern time - but if you want to be sure someone will be there, try making an arrangement with an IRCer via email.

#loisclark requires a password for entry. To get the password, go here , complete the form and send it, and a channel admin will send you the password. You use the password just as Elena does in the screencap above - /join #loisclark password - except you'll type the actual password there. wink

Hope to see some of you on IRC on the night or before!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thanks for the detailed walk-through, Wendy. It's been very helpful when signing onto IRC. But now I wanted to try it out before the Kerths and thought I'd try to get on #loisclark, but every time I try to sign up for the password I get this message:

#loisclark Channel Signup Confirmation

... .
Confirmation Required

The Loisclark IRC Chatroom service requires a confirmation in order to prevent others from subscribing you to the list without your consent. You have been sent an email with a special link. When you receive the email, please click on the link, or copy and paste it into your browser to enable your subscription.
... but I never receive the email. This happened when I was trying to get the password for nfic at Annesplace, and eventually when I signed up using a different email addy (which I no longer have access to), it worked. Does this not work with AOL?

Any help from anyone, please smile smile It would be greatly appreciated.

~Nicole~

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Nicole, I emailed you a short time ago with the information you need. Can you check your AOL account, as that's the address I have for you? And if you haven't received it, can you email me from your other account so I can re-send?

Wendy smile
(#loisclark channel admin)

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hmm, I don't know if this is what you meant with "it taking a few times" but evertime I try to connect, I get a "connection refused" messege...

EDIT: I went on a hunch and checked our firewall. Turned out that it was the one making all the problems. :p Now, I'm having no troubles at all. thumbsup

"How many times must I tell you? Queens consume nectars and ambrosia, not hot dogs."

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard