Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
An orphan, you ask? Yeah, as far as I can tell it's an orphan because it's definitely not the type of thing I normally write. And frankly, I don't know what to do with it.

Okay, let me back up and explain. I woke up yesterday morning with this L&C scene in my head. It wasn't simply hovering there, either. I think I may have dreamed it, which may account for the orphan feeling but doesn't explain the rest of this. Put it this way, the dratted thing was so, um, intensely THERE that I sat down for the first time in probably three years and just started typing. No notes, no nothing but instinct. Good thing I didn't have anything planned for the day, too, because six hours later I was sitting there a lot stunned and looking at 12 Word pages of the oddest thing I've ever written.

And that's saying something.

Really, even now my reaction is along the lines of "where the @#$ did that come from?" And I don't use @#$ lightly.

All that was bad enough but since I have no idea where this idea is going or what to do with it now and since the first chapter is already complete I had a kind of a thought that I'd come here and post it and see what reaction I got. Then I get here and there's this big discussion about death-fic going on, which really makes me wonder if I want to post it at the moment.

Only . . . it is NOT a death-fic, so I don't know why I'm so jumpy. wink

It is, however, an, um, alternate reality, I guess, that begins after Lois dies. I can say that up front because it's something that's apparent from about the third or fourth paragraph. I'm also hoping if I don't decide to abandon this little waif things won't stay that way.

God, I hope not 'cause I don't believe I could handle anything else flowing out of my brain and fingers that way. You can see why this has all been such a shock to my system. So, what DOES one do when an orphan of this nature lands on one's doorstep? Should I post or just forget it happened?

I ask that in all seriousness with absolutely no promises that anything more will come of it even if I do post the first chapter.

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, hmmm, after my latest outbursts on these boards, who am I to advise anyone about anything?

But, Beverly, I've got to tell you a few things. I loved your nfic story, Sanctuary. Even if I have no reason to think that this new one will be even remotely like Sanctuary, I'd still like to read another story written by you.

You say this story begins after Lois has died. Well, I wonder if anyone has missed what I think about stories where Lois is dead.... But you also said that
I'm also hoping if I don't decide to abandon this little waif things won't stay that way.
Am I right to think that you hope to bring Lois back somehow? Because if you are, then I say go for it. Of course, I also very much hope that if you manage to do that, you will also make Lois and Clark end up together.

But if you only manage to give Clark a new life for himself, possibly with a new love interest but without Lois, then I must honestly say I wouldn't want to read your story.

You say it's an alternate reality? I couldn't care less. It's the Lois and Clark stuff that interests me.

In the end, though, Beverly, it's your story. If it fascinates you, if you want to keep on writing it, by all means do so! You really should write it and post it, if the story is important to you. And you have given us all fair warning. I can blow my top when I'm angry, but for what it's worth, I promise you this. If you decide to post it, you will never hear from me that you should have kept your story to yourself!

Good luck with your writing! Thank you once again for Sanctuary! smile

Ann

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Took the words right out of my mouth -- or off my computer, whichever. If things don't go the way I'd like, no one can say that you didn't give plenty of warning. laugh

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Top Banana
Top Banana
In my experience, the very best work you can write often arrives in the way you described, so whatever you do, don't abandon it. Nurture it!

Yvnne

BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
First, thanks for the kind word about Sanctuary. Glad you enjoyed it.

Am I right to think that you hope to bring Lois back somehow? Because if you are, then I say go for it. Of course, I also very much hope that if you manage to do that, you will also make Lois and Clark end up together.
I certainly hope so too. wink

But if you only manage to give Clark a new life for himself, possibly with a new love interest but without Lois, then I must honestly say I wouldn't want to read your story.
And neither would I so I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be an option. laugh

I guess what I'm really asking, since I don't believe I've ever even posted a story to the boards before, is whether it's seen as "bad form" to post something that one isn't even sure is going to be finished. That's more or less still in the idea phase. Because I don't want to even post the first chapter if that's the case.

On the other hand, I could really use some input on it. Both in terms of characterization and potential. By potential I mean that this idea came so out of left field and so fully formed in my head that I'm left wondering what kind of corner I've written myself into. And the only way I can explain that sufficiently is by sharing that first chapter. I honestly do believe that once you read it, you'll see why I'm so in shock.

Tantalized and terrified would probably be more accurate if you want the truth.

"B. B. Medos"
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Only . . . it is NOT a death-fic, so I don't know why I'm so jumpy.
goofy

Should I post or just forget it happened?
Oh, I'd definitely advise posting it, Beverley. I think the time is ripe here on the mbs for something a little out in left field. I think there's an appetite out there for variety. Perhaps more so than there ever has been.

So give it a go. That's my two cents.

Besides, I come over all twitchy at the thought of good writing going to waste. wink

On the question of posting a story that's experimental and that you don't know if you'll finish - I think if you make that very clear in your notes at the top of the story when you post, so that everyone is given fair warning as to your intentions, then you won't have a problem. No one could say they were hoodwinked into reading.

And part of the purpose of this forum has always been to enable authors to post the beginnings of their stories so that they can get input from readers to help them on their way. So, no, you certainly wouldn't be breaking any rules or traditions.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
And part of the purpose of this forum has always been to enable authors to post the beginnings of their stories so that they can get input from readers to help them on their way. So, no, you certainly wouldn't be breaking any rules or traditions.
Well, that's why I first thought of posting it here but since I'm really bewildered by this one's final destination, I thought I'd check first. smile

Thanks.

"B. B. Medos"

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard