Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#149943 03/22/06 08:04 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I was just wonder how someone goes about writing a seqel to another authors story. Do you acknowledge that this story was originally theirs or should you contact them and ask thier permissions to write a continuation of their work?

Thanks for the love
Thanks for the guidance
Thanks for the TARTAN PRIDE HA!

Can't Stop Me Now - Rod Stewart - Time 2013
#149944 03/22/06 08:17 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've moved your thread into here, RSF, as it's not a Fanfic Challenge.

To answer your query, it's long been established tradition within FoLCdom that if you're going to use another author's plot or original characters, then you email them and ask for their permission to do so. Beyond the copyright issues, it's just a courtesy call, apart from anything else.

If permission is granted, most authors usually include an acknowledgement that their work contains elements of another author's work at the head of their story file. Thank them for granting permission, etc. Again, just as a courtesy.

Were an author to ask permission, have that permission denied, and then use the elements anyway, against the wishes of the original author, that would definitely be frowned upon and considered poor manners.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#149945 03/22/06 03:46 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Another thing to keep in mind here is that sometimes the author might have his or her own idea for a sequel. In such cases, he or she may be reluctant to give the sequel to someone else.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#149946 03/23/06 07:40 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for that and I'm sorry I put it in the wrong Thread I did mean to put it this one but was in the challenge thread and must of forgot a bit dim yesterday (well most days)

Thanks for the love
Thanks for the guidance
Thanks for the TARTAN PRIDE HA!

Can't Stop Me Now - Rod Stewart - Time 2013
#149947 03/23/06 07:43 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No problem, RSF - that's part of the admins/mods job. And you guys are all so well-behaved generally laugh that if it wasn't for the occasional post moving we'd have practically nothing to justify having our names listed. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard