Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#149742 02/15/06 11:11 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hello there smile

I've read a story some time ago, probably before I had registered on these forums, and now I have a truly hard time finding it again. Maybe you can lend me a helping hand (or brain in this case) wink

The story's main focus is an investigation into a racing team which leads Lois and Clark to the racing track where they're breaking into the pits only to be imprisoned there and they end up making out on the hood of a racing car.

Don't know much more about that, I'm also not sure about the rating so it could be Nfic or not.

Any help of you would be great.
Bettina

#149743 02/15/06 11:13 AM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Hmm. I'm pretty sure that would be Labrat's Burnout .

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I hear it's fantastic. <g>

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#149744 02/15/06 11:23 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That definitely is Burnout and it is fantastic. One of my favourite stories in the whole archive, for sure.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
#149745 02/15/06 11:35 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awwww, thanks, guys. Yeah, definitely sounds like my Burnout - don't ever think there was anyone else nuts enough to try and marry LNC with their (then) passion for F1 motor racing. goofy

Anyway, here to say that there should be two versions, Bettina - gfic's on the Archive, of course, and you can find the nfic version at Annesplace .

Thanks for remembering this oldie. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#149746 02/15/06 12:00 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Of course this is an excellent opportunity to nag Rat into writing the sequel, "Second Degree Burns," which is unfortunately on the back burner permanently. frown

I hear her muse got singed a bit baking on that beach while chasing after the cabana boys. So maybe a little salve will help her muse get a few red hot ideas. wink

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#149747 02/15/06 12:06 PM
S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
This is a very good cause to nagging! dance

simona smile

#149748 02/15/06 03:04 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by LabRat:
Thanks for remembering this oldie. smile
Anytime, and thank you for pointing me to the nfic-version of this story smile I'm sorry for being lazy or forgetful about feedback at my first turn of this story but this time I'll do better! hail

#149749 02/15/06 06:46 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I hadn't heard of a possible sequel, but I'm also here to say that I'd be thrilled to read one. (Then again, I'd be thrilled to read any new Labrat story. wink ) The title sounds fascinating.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
#149750 02/16/06 08:19 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The saddest thing about SDB is that it's three-quarters written and has been more or less since about a month after I posted Burnout. And it's lain fallow on my hd ever since because although I liked bits of it, I just wasn't happy with the direction it took. razz

I did pass it to a few betas last year and got some really great comments and suggestions. If I was at all interested in writing right now I'd definitely have it at the top of my to do list and they would have helped me figure out the way to finish it. If only so that I could finally get it done, dusted and off my back so I never have to think about it again. laugh

But at the moment I do have to admit that I'm really not missing writing at all and just don't have much interest in doing it. I haven't moved on to writing for other fandoms. I did do this once before, years ago. Just lost interest in writing one day and then, five years later, suddenly got a story idea and boom I was back in the groove, enjoying it again. So...never say never. goofy

But for now I can't see it turning up in public any time soon.

Course (warning, blatant plug coming up laugh ) if you're really keen on reading a new LabRat story I did write one for the upcoming Fundraiser DVD. devil

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#149751 03/04/06 06:54 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, I just wanted to say that I have just read "Burnout" and it is, indeed, fantastic. The Lois and Clark we meet in Labrat's story are more flawed than they are in many other LNC stories, and they are not mysteriously attuned to one another. They don't have anything even resembling a telepathic link between them, and they just don't find it any easier to understand one another than most of us ordinary mortals do.

Spoilers for Burnout below:

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

But they so want one another. If you are into nfic at all, please read the nfic version, because the love scene here is just unbelievably charged and emotional. Afterwards, in a little "epilogue" which is as sweet as the lovemaking is cracklingly charged, Lois and Clark remain lying tightly wrapped together on the hood of the car which was their "bed", enveloped in bliss.

But they are discovered by guards. In order to cover up the fact that they have (also) been looking for foul play on the part of a racing team, Clark finds it necessary to tell the guards that he and Lois just broke in there to make love among the fantastic cars. Lois feels incredibly betrayed by what she considers Clark's male bragging and buddying up to the lecherous guards. She feels he is betraying the trust that should exist between them, and by betraying her, she feels he is deserting her, leaving her. To punish him, she freezes him out. Clark is increasingly frustrated and despondent, and concludes that Lois must regret making love to him. To make things better for her, he decides he should leave her, which is the absolutely last thing Lois wants him to do....

This is a gripping story, incredibly charged with emotion. It's about what happens when two people are enormously attracted to one another but unable to communicate. But because this is Lois and Clark, maybe there is a happy ending for our favorite couple after all.... wink

If you like realistic and emotional relationship stories, this is one you simply mustn't miss.

Ann

Edited to add spoiler space for those who haven't yet read Burnout.

#149752 03/05/06 04:20 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ann, thank you so much for your lovely feedback and fascinating observations. Quite made me day. smile

It's always especially nice to get comments from a story as old as this one - especially when you can hardly remember what it was about yourself! laugh And it's always intriguing to see a story from a reader's viewpoint.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. smile1

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#149753 03/08/06 04:21 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm sorry, I just can't resist - Labby, you said
but it rapidly grew, for many reasons, to be the story from hell.
Considering the title, you should definitely mention that in your story notes if you ever finish and post it. goofy

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard