Print Thread
#149631 02/07/06 12:32 PM
G
gerry Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
G
I have a question to help ML even though she doesn't know I'm asking.

What would a person in Metropolis call the "powder room" or the "loo"?

How does the one in a public restaurant differ from one at home in terms of what it's called?

Would a man use a different euphemism than a woman?

gerry

#149632 02/07/06 01:20 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by gerry:
I have a question to help ML even though she doesn't know I'm asking.

What would a person in Metropolis call the "powder room" or the "loo"?

How does the one in a public restaurant differ from one at home in terms of what it's called?

Would a man use a different euphemism than a woman?

gerry
Powder rooms have a particular meaning here in the states. Those are essentially bathrooms in a home without a shower or bath tub, usually on the main floor where guests can access it.

Most people I know just refer to bathrooms as bathrooms, even in a restaurant. The politer term that people use is restroom, which is what businesses and restaurants tend to call them. At home, it's always a bathroom.

With small kids, I tend to refer to it as the potty. wink

Nobody in the states uses "loo".

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#149633 02/07/06 02:22 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I second Roger. I learned the hard way never to use the word "loo" or "watercloset".

A lot of people also refer to it as the "ladies' room" or "men's room" if they're trying to be polite as a variation on "restroom". Also "use the facilities".

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#149634 02/07/06 02:44 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I've used the loo now and then because of my grandparents. However, I often find it not a very polite way of saying where you are going or I get blank stares of confustion - where I am from. **most popular in my circles.

-washroom**
-restroom
-bathroom**
-ladies/mens room
-powder room - just to be different mind you
-I'm going to use the facilities...LOL
-many ppl say "I'm going to the toilet!". I don't like that way at all in public, but I'll say it around the hubbie. It's way different at home....

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#149635 02/07/06 03:42 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, I bet I know what this is about. Trying to make my bathroom scene funner, eh? I like that idea.

How about 'can'?
Or 'little boy's room'?
Or (of course) 'little girl's room'?

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#149636 02/07/06 11:48 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Interesting. I hadn't realised until now that 'loo' and 'toilet' were considered such taboo words in the US. Or, at the very least, considered a little uncouth.

Anyone know why that is?

Here in the UK, both are used regularly, and never given a second's thought. Polite company or your maiden aunt wouldn't raise an eyebrow if you said "I'll just pop to the loo." laugh

I also hadn't realised that powder room was so specfic. I'd always believed until now it was a general term. In fact, I thought it was an outside term and never realised it was used indoors. Wonderful how you learn something new every day around here. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#149637 02/08/06 03:21 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hmmm... I'm not sure I'd call them taboo, exactly...

More like odd. Since we use the word 'toilet' for the actual... well, toilet, goofy it seems weird to say you're going to it. Going to the room where the toilet is, however...

Now, if you're talking about the actual toilet - 'Make sure you scrub the toilet when you clean the bathroom' or 'Can you tell me which aisle has the toilet bowl cleaner?' - then (obviously! goofy ) we say 'toilet'.

'Loo' is just sort of odd in the US. If you're somebody with a strong english accent, people who know the word probably wouldn't react much except to tell you where the bathroom is. If, however, you speak with a down-home twang, New York accent, midwestern drawl (etc.) then I imagine you'd get some looks goofy .

And yes, 'restroom' is used a lot when you're out in public, and 'bathroom' is what it's called at home. 'Ladies' room' and 'men's room' are pretty common, as already mentioned - but I don't think I've ever heard those in a home. Of course, home bathrooms are unisex, so...

Then you've got your less "polite" term - 'Where's the john?'

And your standard armed forces term - "I need to use the head.'

Huh. Thought I outgrew "bathroom talk" lol Guess not.

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
#149638 02/08/06 04:03 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Or, in the cartoon world.. Wacko: "I've got a potty emergency!"

Darn those Animaniacs, getting into people's heads.

I agree, I've never heard anyone say loo around here. It's usually bathroom or restroom. However, if you want, I have some other... colorful... euphemisms heard from the brother-in-law...

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#149639 02/08/06 05:33 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And your standard armed forces term - "I need to use the head.'
See, that's interesting, too, because until today I'd always thought head was purely a Navy term or used by shipowners in general. I didn't know it was used more widely than that, by landlubbers in the armed forces, also.

This is cool. <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#149640 02/08/06 06:17 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Also don't forget the more playful designations -- "little reporter's room" or "little superhero's room" goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#149641 02/08/06 08:42 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Growing up in the South, I was taught to say "Rest Room" or "Ladies Room". "Toilet" would have been looked upon with horror. "Powder Room" was also used to refer to restaurant ladies' rooms. Euphemisms are big in the South.

Once one has had children, "Potty" becomes the preference and seems to remain even when the children are 40 and have children of their own. However, my genteel Southern upbringing still kicks in when I'm in polite company, so I would never use potty then. BTW, I never heard the term "Wash Room" until I left the South and went to the Chicago area. I've never liked it and don't use it. To my knowledge , "Loo" is never used in the U.S. Of ourse, in more remote areas, we have "Sanikans" and "Outhouses".

Signs on the doors of public restrooms are always interesting too. Sometimes, instead of "Women" and "Men", they say "Ladies" and "Gents". And in waterfront dives, there is the inevitable "Buoys" and "Gulls".

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#149642 02/08/06 10:19 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Adding to Rat's UK info, in restaurants and other public places, I'd ask for the 'ladies', and my father would ask for the 'gents'.

And expanding the subject a little, unisex public facilities aren't totally unknown. In fact, there's a unisex facility at the top of the stairs outside my office at work.

Yvonne

#149643 02/08/06 06:44 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That's the more recent thing here in the US, too - especially in shopping malls.

Near the food courts, usually - you'll have the standard men's room and ladies' room, with the little wordless icons of a sort of stick figure for the man and a dress-wearing stick figure for the woman goofy .

And then you'll have the "family" restroom. It's a single room, big enough for several people and/or a baby stroller, etc. Sometimes it has one toilet, one sink, and a diaper-changing shelf or counter. And sometimes it'll have a regular toilet and an itty-bitty one for the little kids, as well as a "big" sink and a "little" sink. It's nice if you've got multiple small people, or if you're a daddy with a little girl - my husband used to hate taking our girls into the men's room, but wasn't comfortable letting them go into the ladies' room alone.

n more remote areas, we have "Sanikans" and "Outhouses".
lol ...Also euphemistically known as "no indoor plumbing."

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
#149644 02/08/06 07:17 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm with Jude...Being a native Southerner all my life, my hubby laughs sometimes because I just cannot bring myself to ask for the toilet in public or even the bathroom...I seem to always call it the ladies' room or restroom. Mind you, I have no problem saying "y'all" in polite conversation, but God forbid I say toilet! LOL No one ever sat me down and told me that...it's like this southern instinct or something. <g>

Marcy

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
#149645 02/08/06 08:03 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
When I visited the U.S. as a 16-year-old, I was very surprised at the slightly embarrassed looks I got when I asked for the toilet. I was no less confused when I was told I should say "bathroom" instead. Honestly, where was the bath???

Ann

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard