Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#149012 11/27/05 02:11 PM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Okay, I've heard of Hobbs River and Metropolis River. But do we have any islands where people might live in those rivers? I need one of you old time Superman fans.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Blogger
Blogger
I haven't had time to read through this entire page. But there are some notes about locations in Metropolis.

reference.com/browse/wiki/Metropolis_(comics)

Edit: There's supposed to be a world wide web in front of reference. But I can't seem to get this post to post with the whole address typed out. Poo.

Quinolones!!
Merriwether
Merriwether
Unfortunately, in the comics, New Troy is an island in Metropolis on par with Manhatten. The unfortunately is because it became a state in the show. From the online resources I found, there's also Stryker's Island, which is a maximum security prison.

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/1185/jfiles/metropolis.html has this:

Metropolis was a major industrial player much like Gotham, but was able to diversify into finance and service industries. Metropolis steadily grew and maintained a comparatively low crime rate not prompting the rise of as many costumed heroes during the second world war as other cities. The heart of Metropolis is the central island of New Troy which contains
Suicide Slum, Centennial Park and the Central Business District (which is home to the world famous Daily Planet and Lexcorp buildings). Along the mainland banks of the Hob's river is Park Ridge, Bakerline and Oakline, while along the mainland banks of the West River are Queensland Park, North Bridge and the original Old City. Situated between New Troy and Queensland Park in the West River is Stryker's Island, a maximum security facility interment centre).
Of course, i'm not a comics expert -- far from it. So maybe someone else knows something different. smile

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Blogger
Blogger
A map of Metropolis from one of those Superman Resource books.

Map of Metropolis

Quinolones!!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry, ML. The only island I've heard of is Striker's Island, and that houses a maximum security prison. I did a quick net search, but didn't turn up anything more other than the island of New Troy, which acts as a sort of counterpart to Manhattan. The Planet building is located on New Troy, and it's where most of the features people think of as being in The City are.

In New York, there's [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island%2C_New_York}Roosevelt Island[/url]. There are some high-end private residences there (amidst the trees, with a good view of Manhattan), but near the center there's an insane asylum (taking advantage of the relative isolation). Transportation to and from the island is limited (the linked article gives more info about that). Metropolis may have an equivalent (as well as Long Island and the other, more minor islands), but if so, I don't know of a name for it.

EDIT: Ooo, I see Greenie posted a map! Cool! I've been looking for one of those! Unfortunately, ML, that little island you see is, in fact, Striker's Island. So, looks like you'll have to come up with a new one. Sorry.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I just looked at the map. I notice that there is a Martin's Island where only the wealthiest live. I am going to assume there is a ferry that goes over there. And then, I think, I can make that work perfectly.

Thanks, everyone.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Oh, and Greene, thanks so much for that map. Something tells me that it's going to come in very handy in the future. laugh

ML wave

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard