Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This thing doesn't seem to work for me. I've only managed to go over parts 1-4 so far [Frown] I think I'm inwardly procrastinating because I don't really know what I want to do with this story. I've been considering abandoning it, Archiving it as it is, re-writing it, deleting all the parts that are giving me a hard time, splitting it in two seperate stories... and I still can't make up my mind about it. Argh.
Anna, is there someone you can send the story to and ask for their thoughts? Sometimes, a fresh eye can work wonders. I've finally settled on two short stories from my WIPs for the Fundraiser, after giving up on trying to decide what to do and running them both past one of my betas.

On the second, I had two scenes I'd written to start off with ages ago, but no idea where to go next. My beta came up with the most wonderful ending I'd never have considered, which instantly brought the whole story to life for me, had the Muse sitting bolt upright, ears twitching, with a "Aha!" wink , and I now have very good hopes of finishing it.

It's worth a try - see if it works for you, too. If not, you've not lost anything. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Thanks for the idea, Labby smile I might do that, after I finish polishing the 'good' part of the story.

Also, while I'm here -- what I love about this thread is that we can all discuss our writing progress, complain about lack of time or writer's block... Fanfic is a big part of my life, and I like sharing how I'm doing with it with my fellow fanfic writers - and listening to them sharing how they're doing smile So thanks, Wendy and whoever else is behind this idea!

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This will teach me not to count my chickens before they hatch (or my words before they appear on the screen wink ). On Saturday, I only got 300 words written, Sunday was a pitiful 100, Monday was 280, and Tuesday was 180--for a total of 860 words, or just over one day's target. Writer's block is not a pretty thing. :p

OTOH, I wrote 776 words last night, and I only have a few more pages to go before I'm done with the first act. I just need to use my time better--grab those 10 minute bits and write during them instead of waiting for a one hour stretch. And next time I stall out on a scene, I'll just write detailed notes about what has to happen, so the pressure to make the dialog right doesn't increase the writer's block.

I'm glad to see so many other people writing. Maybe we'll all have completed stories to show by the end of the month.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Congratulations, Sheila! See, you're making progress. thumbsup

We all have good days and bad days - I've been reporting some counts of 2000 words and above, but yesterday I didn't even make it to 1000. I know that Pam and Sara have been fluctuating just as much. As Anna said, all the cheerleading, nagging and general sharing of experiences here really does help - as does the nagging and duelling on IRC. wink

Gerry, I'm sorry that RL is giving you problems and hope it's nothing too serious. As Pam said, we'll definitely do this again some time - and you don't have to wait for her or me to start it. Anyone who wants nagging and support to finish a WIP can start a FinWipsMo any time you like, and there'll always be people eager to jump on the bandwagon. smile

Keep up the good work, everyone who's still in, and let us know how you're doing!

And... three cheers for all of us! party

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, two days ago, I got 1387 words written, well above my target of 975. Yesterday, I had a grand total of 244 words. razz Today, so far, I'm up to 497, so I hope to get to my target before bedtime... but we'll see.

Hey, did y'all know, in Word you can put a word counter on a tool bar? I just discovered it today and think it's really really cool laugh Plus it's easier than clicking on File/Properties/Statistics all the time wink

PJ
(why yes, I am a geek -- why do you ask?)

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
So funny you mention that, Pam. I was just thinking about doing that last night... and didn't get around to it. :rolleyes: Good to know I can now. laugh

(why yes, I am a geek -- why do you ask?)
Geek? Naah. A geek would be someone who creates Word macros just for the easy conversion of archive stories to normal Word format. Or, perhaps, creating a Word template for the sole purpose of feedbacking (three pages full of [ quote] [ /quote] goofy ). Not that I know anyone like that...

Anyway, I'm here to update my daily counts:

Nov 1: 20
Nov 2: 14
Nov 3: 1010
Nov 4: 1388
Nov 5: 263
Nov 6: 201
Nov 7: 736
Nov 8: 221
Nov 9: 617

Total: 4535 or 4470 or... dang... this is why I'm majoring in English, not math. blush

I did some editing in there... maybe I forgot to count those. laugh Anyway, I'm up from 51,119 to 55,654 total words. smile

Keep up the great work, everyone!!!! goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Geek? Naah.
Whew!

A geek would be someone who creates Word macros just for the easy conversion of archive stories to normal Word format.
Err, well, I do have one of those... it's on my toolbar, for easy access wink

Or, perhaps, creating a Word template for the sole purpose of feedbacking (three pages full of [ quote] [ /quote] ).
lol, really? I haven't done that, but maybe I should!

No, a geek is someone who creates an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of her scene order, and gets all excited over little comment boxes attached to individual cells, and has a page devoted to analyzing word counts... not that I know anyone like that wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
No, a geek is someone who creates an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of her scene order, and gets all excited over little comment boxes attached to individual cells, and has a page devoted to analyzing word counts... not that I know anyone like that [Wink]
LOL! That sounds a bit more like geek material. wink

Sara (who managed to find some time to tweak things today, which added 31 words goofy )

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, although I'm still not officially signed up to this - because I have a high expectation of failure goofy - I just want to record that I've just gotten out of bed to get down two whole new pages of my story, which hit me just as I was drifting off to sleep.

I've no idea how many words that is, but it's a dang sight more than I've written in a while. wink

What's more - heavens to Betsy - I actually like them. eek

LabRat smile (who hates her Muse for not coming up with these things at a reasonable hour. :rolleyes: )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Features Writer
Features Writer
My muse tends to "bother" me when I'm in the shower. wink

One of these days I'm tempted to buy a dry-erase board and put it up in there. goofy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Catching up here... on Thursday I had a very productive day, and for the first time wrote over 2,000 words! smile Okay, it was only 26 words over 2,000, but still wink

Yesterday, not so much. I ended up with 652; mostly I was working on one kinda tricky bad-guy scene. When I get back to L&K, I'll do better. I hope laugh

Wish me luck, btw; my kids go to year-round school and as of yesterday they're on break. They don't go back to school until the first Monday in December, so they'll be underfoot, interrupting my concentration, wanting to take over my computer... although there have been times, in the past, when I've actually written more when they're home, so I'm keeping my hopes up.

Overall, I've written 11,481 words in November, with a daily average of 1,004, so I'm still ahead of my goal smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I struggled for two days to write three paragraphs, and then this morning I had a breakthrough and wrote six pages! Finally, I'm on the home stretch for my fundraiser story.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I just wanted to say that although I'm not participating in this challenge, I am writing. And I am very much enjoying following everyone else's progress. Keep up the good work.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Top Banana
Top Banana
Um, Pam?

Plus it's easier than clicking on File/Properties/Statistics all the time
Tools, Word Count...

Unless you've got a different version of Word to me (Word 2000) and Microsoft have shifted it somewhere else - which is quite likely. wink

Yvonne

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Well, as soon as I hear from my beta-readers, it goes to LabRat for editing. I'm *done*!

This masterpiece comes in at 215K, so I think I made pretty good time in spite of a small case of writer's block right in the middle of it.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Yay, Nan!!!! party

Everyone else keep up the great work!!

I'll try to come back later and post my latest progress. laugh

Sara

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Although I haven't signed up for this challenge either, I've written six pages between two fics and posted a section for the first time in *ahem* months on Friday.

When I finally found my word counter, I was able to write 211 words in about an hour. So starting Monday, I'll be keeping track of my word count. I think even if you're not participating offically in the challenge, it helps to push writers along!!

Missy [Linked Image]

Merriwether
Merriwether
Great job guys!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Way to go everyone! smile

Congrats to our early finishers. <g>

Okay, update on AATR:

Previously - 6555 words.

Currently - 7105 words.

And, I still have my 800 I can recycle.

I'd hoped to get more written after my exams, but I've actually been busier since I finished. Definately not complaining. <g>

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
I'm late, but I sign up too. I try to finish my second fanfic. I came with the idea some weeks ago, but I just began to write it ten days ago. And after ten days making no progress at all, I have finished today my first part.

I am at 1566 words.

I will try my best to write half of my story before the end of the month. That means I'll try for 6 whole parts (since my story will count 13 parts)

And then, I'll chase down all the tipoes and grammar problems I can see before starting to post it.

I will tell you my progress regularly. I hope that will help me to progress quicker.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard