Print Thread
K
katrina Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
K
MERRIWEATHER WINNERS:

The Merriweather Committee is pleased to announce the following winners for the Episode Rewrite category. We congratulate the winners and thank them for writing some excellent fanfiction.

FIRST PLACE: Nan Smith with "Four Days To Nightfall"
SECOND PLACE: Nan Smith with "Pheromone, More Likely"
THIRD PLACE: Lote, with "Affirmation"
HONORABLE MENTION: Marilyn Puett with "Forget It...Not!"

We would also like to thank those who did not win but submitted stories. Even though you, the authors, did not take top prize, the judges enjoyed reading your submissions.

We, the members of the Merriweather Committee and our judges, thank you for your participation and you wonderful imagination in creating terrific fanfiction. We will see you in the spring of 2006 with another round of competition.

Sincerely,

The Merriweather Committee and Judges

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Oh! I didn't even realize the Merriweathers were still up and running. blush

Congrats to the winners!! clap

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
πŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts πŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well done to all the winners!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
First and second place? Well done, Nan! clap

And I'm glad to see the Merriweathers still up and kicking, too -- thanks to everybody who put in the hard work to complete another round of awards smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Congratulations, Nan smile !

I finished 12th (probably out of 12). I am not sure about the merits of some of the judges comments. A lot of the reason I got points taken off my story seems to be a difference in the interpretaion of the characters and whether cannon was the bible as well as they thought I used too much introspection. I am certainly not in the same category of writing as Nan, but I think a lot of the categories were very subjectively judged where if you didn't follow the judges phillosophy on charaterization and introspection, your story was bad.

So it might have been a "judged" contest, but I think the results are equally biased as the Kerths to the judges personal feeings, just with a smaller judging sample size.

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Congrats, y'all! smile I won't say where my story came in, but I do agree with most of the feedback. <G> It was an old story written before I really knew what I was doing, and I've learned better since then.

Some of the stuff the judges mentioned I still struggle with. smile What can I say? It was nice to get constructive criticism on that old story, and a comfort to obtain it from anonymous sources. There's freedom in the anonymity of both sides. According to the rules, they didn't know what story was mine or even if I submitted one, and I sure don't know who judged it! But the comments I recieved about craft dovetail with what I've learned in writing classes, so I'm happy.

Laura

β€œRules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Top Banana
Top Banana
Congratulations to everyone who participated!!
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Well, I have to say I'm somewhat flabbergasted, but pretty happy as well, especially since I have a good idea of the kind of competition my stories were up against. I know only Lote and Marilyn are mentioned here, but I know the kind of writers they are, so that says a lot. It's pretty exciting to know I rank in the same strata as some of the writers whose work I admire.

Thanks for the congratulations, and my sincere thanks to the Merriweather Committee, whoever they are <g> for their hard work on the contest.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Congratulations Nan, Lote and Marilyn. clap

I'm not surprised that Nan fills the top two spots. She's a phenomenal writer.

I also sent in a story and placed 6th. The comments were interesting and I was comfortable with them.

Laura U, the difference between the Kerths and the Merriweathers is that we *choose* to submit our stories and we're prepared to accept the results we get. We may or may not agree with the judges, but we were the ones who sent in our stories for judging.

Writing, like any other art, is subjective. But judges go into their job having a set of criteria in their minds as they work through each story.

It was an interesting experience.

I hope that the Merriweathers continue.

gerry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well done, everyone! thumbsup

I look forward to the next Merriweather competition!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Congratulations to all the winners! Well done! smile1

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
veyr very small and stoopid question....

....um....what are the merriweathers?

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Not stupid at all, Sileas. You can't be expected to know all the history of the fandom, when you've just arrived. smile

There have been a lot of discussion threads posted about the subject of the Merriweathers and at least one poll, since their inception back in January of this year, so you could do a search of the Fanfic Related forum, which should produce most of them, if you are especially keen to catch up or interested in the history of this contest. laugh

Basically though, I think this is the first thread that was posted by M-Comm (Merriweather Committee), which sets out the basics of their aims.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Congrats to Nan (twice!) and to Lote.

I got my score sheet yesterday and read through the comments. I can't say that I'd argue with a single score. And I did get marked very low in a couple areas so it's not like I got perfect 10's across the board so to speak. Several were 1's and while at first that pinches a bit, when I think it through, those scores were spot on. Like Laura, this was an older piece and I've learned scads since then.

I too appreciate the time they invest in this. I've judged a writing contest before through Romance Writers of America and it IS time consuming. It's often a thankless job so I'd like to take this opportunity to thank them publicly. smile

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
First of all, congratulations to the winners (major kudos to Nan - way to go!!) and thank you to the M-comm and the judges for their hard work.

I just opened the email with the scoresheet for my story. I had submitted That\'s All It Takes , a story I wrote in the summer of 2004. It ranked 7th, which I consider an honour, given the quality of the writers who participated smile Also, I'm very happy with my score and the comments I got. Not everything was positive, but I've always liked getting everyone's opinion.

What I found of particular interest was seeing the varied views of the three judges. I'm wondering if the M-comm was aware they all had different tastes? If so, I must commend their choices - appointing judges with different tastes seems to me like the best way to ensure objectivity.

Are we going to share our scoresheets like last time? I don't mind sharing mine.

See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Congratulations to the winners! Great choices on the part of the judges.
cool
Artemis
Finally back on internet.
P.S. It's a hard choice between 1 and 2. I'm curious since they seemed equally strong to me - was it the choice of episode that made the difference?

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
K
katrina Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
K
Artemis,

Your post was brought to my attention. You deserve an answer to your question as to why "Four Days To Nightfall" won First Place.

The score was not based on the episode chosen. It was based on the overall scores of the judges.

As the judges carefully read through the story, they assign certain scores to certain categories. The authors are judged on many factors, including: how well their stories capture the reader; pacing; whether the story had a good balance of dialogue versus narrative; and whether punctuation and spelling were correct.

In this case, the judges felt "Four Days To Nightfall" met or exceeded the criteria for each category. "Pheromone, More Likely" received very high marks as well but for whatever reason, the judges believed "Four Days To Nightfall" was a stronger story.

I hope this answers your question.

Sincerely,

The Merriweather Committee

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard